• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: My hat is off to all of you!

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up My hat is off to all of you!

Garritan Personal Orchestra, as well as others, literally pulled many out of the muck and mire of boring four/five piece bands. Taken so many that would have probably never been heard and given their wonderful talents a place to shine. A place where so many other would hear and share alike. There have been so many people who have come and gone and come back again either to visit, post a reply, say hello, and listen to what new music has materialized since last heard.

I know Francesco. He's a wonderful composer and human being. I would have never had the pleasure of knowing who he is yet alone his music if it weren't for the advent of virtual instruments, this forum, and others. Ten years ago I used to dream of what it might be like to hear a full orchestra play one of my compositions. Who would have thought? We know one who "thought" and put all his life into a library that many of us use day in and day out to pleasure our musical pallet with finally hearing our compositions and what they might sound like with a real full orchestra!

Some of us are more talented than others but we're learning. The second great gift Garritan put together was the educational forum where any one can take a free course in orchestration that would have cost hundreds of dollars if to take in a college. What a wonderful idea! What a wonderful and priceless gift!

I know Roberto (Beach) who to me has one of the greatest gifts of harmony, melody all wrapped up in one beautiful heart! Say, I never knew the man till this forum! How cool is that?

I know Dan DPDAN. A person who is so freaking intelligent with his craft it enlightens all of us! I met him once and found a warm, understanding, funny and down to earth person. I was pleased and fortunate to have met him and shake his hand.

These are only a few I cherish in my life's book and carry down the road with me. I pride myself in knowing so many awesome talents of this forum each day.

We have a lot to be thankful for. We have many we know now we've never known before all of this materialized. So many developers competing for the upper hand yet do not realize (at least it seems that way) what they all do for every musician around the world who comes in contact with their libraries.

I listen when ever I can to the demos and sometimes your music can pull a tear, sometimes it can make me laugh, but often your music leaves me in awe and quite happy.

I don't know if this has made much sense or that my words get off track. But, it's just that I realize how much this has taken everyone. Let me ask you this. If for some strange odd reason someone saw fit to take all of the virtual libraries off the market, would you seriously go back to where you were before? Sound modules? Yeesch!
    Hemingway, just though I would blurt a bit.

My compliments to the greatest musical community of new composers! You are truly fortunate to be living in such an inspiring musical time. Keep rolling the notes and believing in yourself.
    Pat yourself on the back and give thanks to ALL of the developers who make it possible to hear your music alive today!

Styxx
    Styxx

Re: My hat is off to all of you!

Hear, Hear!

Well Said.

Styxx my response to this post required Microsoft’s Word to compose a response. This post actually touches my heart dearly. I have been in a state of spiraling depression in the past couple of months. The only thing that lifts me out of this is the fact that I can open a Finale file and load the Garritan Personal Orchestra sound samples and move into a realm of magical creation. The God of all creation had a part in Gary Garritan and his developers and all the other computer programmers who have paved the way for this invention to come into being. Countless numbers of software have contributed to the high level of technical achievements of notation software, sound samples and DAWs.

I know for a fact that was it not for the software that all of us use to create the wonderful music that is being written today, I would be lost. When I am at a low point I can open Finale and load GPO and become so lost in the creation of music. At the end of several hours of composing I find that I often can’t remember being depressed or even why I felt that way.

I will take this time in this post to thank each and every person who has posted a composition in the Listening Room (LR). Each of you and your compositions has been a source of joy and inspiration to me over the past year and a half. All of you have a wonderful talent for composition. I also agree that Roberto (Beach) has a talent beyond measure and has inspired me to strive for heights I would not have realized without his brilliant contribution to this forum. His music was the inspiration for the “A Prince’s Tale” composition that Posted in the LR. Stephanie’s (Moviemaestro) “Desert Storm” was so inspiring that I wrote a composition that I eventually entered it into the Detroit Symphony Orchestra’s Elaine Lebenbom Memorial Award competition for female composers, which is held annually. All of the other compositions posted in the LR are held in the highest esteem. I feel honored to be a part of this forum.

All of the knowledge I have gained about orchestration was obtained on this forum. There are a great number of members here who have talents in so many areas and are willing to share that knowledge make this forum the best place in cyberspace.
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

I grew up listening to classical music. My parents tell me that at age 5 I used to stand in front of the phonographic "conducting" the music. When I was seven my folks took me to a museum in Detroit that had a bunch of those old-fashioned player pianos and automated "bands" they used to use in carousels. More than anything else, I wanted to be a composer, and I dreamed of having a whole "player orchestra".

With one thing an another, as I grew up and got married and had kids, and pursued a career, that dream fell by the wayside. Now, over half a century later, I finally have my "player orchestra", and the time to enjoy composing and performing with it.

GPO for me is literally the stuff that dreams are made of.

(A funny aside: 20 or 30 years ago, when music was the furthest thing from my mind, a friend took me to a "psychic fair" where a person claiming to be a "psychic" told me that in a past life I had been a composer. She gave me general dates and locations, (late 19th - early 20th century, Scandinavia). Of course I just laughed it off. I'm sure it's all nonsense, but then again, you never know )

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Ooops, did i say past life? I meant to say present.

Miss Cleo

Thumbs up Re: My hat is off to all of you!

Cool Post Styxx!

I agree Styxx, Alan, Gary and Samantha, this is the stuff dreams are made of.

David

In the earlier 80's I auditioned for the head of the Piano Department of SMU in Dallas. He listened to me play several improvisational pieces and his response to me was, "If I were believe in reincarnation I would believe your were Chopin reincarnated." I never forgot that and I only told this to one other person several years ago. In 1977 my best friend at that time is a wonderful pianist told me that he saw me taking the path of a composer and not that of a concert pianist. Last week I sent him a CD of several of my compositions and he called me to remind me of that conversation of thirty years ago. Back then I resented it very much. Now I embrace it.
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

I love the way flow of consciousness writing can bring out some of the most heart-felt thoughts and feelings of the writer.

We certainly have an example of that here, first from Styxx, and then echoed in their own personal way by Samantha and Gary.

It can't be said often enough, that we are members of the best musically oriented meeting place on the internet. The arch snobbishness, the inflated self importance, the unfriendly snideness and unhelpfulness displayed by so many people on other bulletin boards is virtually absent in this thriving community of musicians and composers.

Leadership sets the tone for any endeavor or organization - Gary Garritan's aura is so vibrant and sincere that we can all see and feel it even in this non-physical cyber world. For people of any sensitivity, and that includes every true musician I've ever been aware of, that white light, that positive aura and tone set by Gary guides our own interaction here online.

We're a lucky group of people, and we're a group that's ever-expanding, like ripples on a pond, all benefiting from the incredible gifts that Garittan and his team have made available to us.

There's no going back, and we wouldn't want to - Our lives in music have never been better, thanks to the Garritan Libraries, and the man who started a company with such heart - Gary G.

---Styxx, despite the lack of true paragraph breaks in your post - LOL!--(it's an odd modern syndrome, you're certainly not alone) - I loved reading that monolithic block of text you posted.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha Penigar
    In the earlier 80's I auditioned for the head of the Piano Department of SMU in Dallas. He listened to me play several improvisational pieces and his response to me was, "If I were believe in reincarnation I would believe your were Chopin reincarnated." I never forgot that and I only told this to one other person several years ago. In 1977 my best friend at that time is a wonderful pianist told me that he saw me taking the path of a composer and not that of a concert pianist. Last week I sent him a CD of several of my compositions and he called me to remind me of that conversation of thirty years ago. Back then I resented it very much. Now I embrace it.
    This is a wonderful story Samantha and we should feel honored that you have shared this with us as well as your other personal thoughts.

Depression is a widely misunderstood problem, and the way you have embraced your music shows just how much it can help anyone in overcoming these sorts of illnesses. Trust in God and your capacity to Create as His instrument through music and you will overcome all.

Good on you Styxx for writing this - it is particular strongly felt after your often light-hearted posts.

Cheers

I feel the same way about the Garritan libraries and this forum.

Several years ago I was hitting a brick wall in my “composing”. I stopped writing for a few years. Luckily when I decided to return I quickly found GPO and this forum.

GPO gave me the tools to realize my dreams in sound and this forum gave me the bravery to start all over again as if I had never put note next to note and relearn how to compose from the ground up.

I often feel so inspired when I hear some of the music posted to this forum or participate in some discussion on music.

I have said this before – I think this forum takes the place of the coffee houses of old. We all come hear and share our music, our philosophy on music and experiences. We feed off of each other (in a good way, not like “dog-eat-dog”) and celebrate members “victories” as if they were our own. We are taught and encouraged and turn around and teach and encourage ourselves – trying to give back even 1% of what we have gained.

Occasionally this forum gets a little too much like “Pleasantville”, everything is so nice and hunky-dory, but then I will see/give/receive some true, heart-felt feedback and the real value comes out.

Anyway, Styxx, you seem to always bring this type of post up so I want to say “thank you” back to you – somebody who has part of the heart and soul of this place since the early days.

OK, back to the regularly scheduled program…
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum