• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Verklärte faune" for Wind Ensemble (GPO)

Share/Bookmark

"Verklärte faune" for Wind Ensemble (GPO)

Hello everyone,

This is an orchestration/arrangement for wind ensemble (fl, ob, cl, bsn, 2hrns, 2tpts, trb, tuba and percussion [triangle, susp.cymbal, tam-tam, glockenspiel, crotales, snare drum and bass drum]).

The original is a piece for piano I wrote a couple of years ago.

It's a rendering direct from Finale-08 with Human Playback set on standard. No post processing.

http://82.183.160.44/MatsOHansson/Ve...indEns128 .mp3

Thanks for listening!

Mats
    Mats O Hansson
    www.myspace.com/MatsOHansson

GPO, JABB, CoMB, Finale2008, Acid Pro 6.0, EWQLSO Pro XP Gold, Kontakt 2 etc.....

Re: "Verklärte faune" for Wind Ensemble (GPO)

I will be honest and say that the first time the percussion came into this, I was ready to say it doesn't work. But everytime later in the piece the percussion fit like a glove. On the second listen, I still had the same feeling, but still find the piece to be quite good.

Is this all GPO?

Ron

Wow, we are getting a lot of extraordinary talent posting from Sweden lately. Makes me proud to say that i have some Scandanavian blood in me, but maybe i need to go there and drink some of the water or something... or study music at the University of Gothenburg.

Fantastic Music, Mats!

Can you translate Verklärte Faune into English for us? The online translators became confused and told me it is Italian, lol. Maybe faune is, but i'm fairly certain Verklärte isn't.

David

Thank you very much for taking time to listen!

Ron: I'm curious to to know which percussion you mean, because the crotales
    enters with the very first note. I think you mean another percussion instrument,
    because you say "the first time percussion came into this". Is it perhaps the snare?

David: The title words are taken from two works - Verklärte Nacht (Transfigured Night) by Schönberg and Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune (Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun) by Debussy. So the title is actually a mixture of german and french. No wonder the online translator didn't get it.
    I have taken material from the opening from those two works and used as a sort of modus/scale for my work.

Thanks again for your kind words and interest in listening to my work!
    /Mats
    Mats O Hansson

GPO, JABB, CoMB, Finale2008, Acid Pro 6.0, EWQLSO Pro XP Gold, Kontakt 2 etc.....

Mats,

Very beautiful writing! I like the implied combination of French/German - the angst ridden pastoral... The colors and lovely; this would be quite effective in a live performance. My only "criticism" would be that it might benefit from a live more reverb - the ends of notes sounded a little abrupt,and I would have liked to hear them "hang" in the air a little longer. But that is a small thing, as I think you written a fine, haunting, and atmospheric piece.

Thanks for posting this.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Since this is not really my style of music, I had to listen to this piece three times to let it soak in and decide what I think of it. My first impression was that I liked it it, but then I like just about everything at first. The sheer novelty of it is enough to hold my interest the first time through. But what happens after the novelty wears off? Is there any real depth or substance there? After the third time through, however, I was convinced that I really DO like it, and that yes, it does have real depth and substance. Well done. An excellent piece of work.

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

I like Gary Shannon's comments relevant to needing a little "soak time"
    to get the mind around so many modern works.

This one, though, I took an instant liking to... excellent handling of the
    ensemble, astute use of contrast, and a confident hand at organizing and
    presenting the ideas.

And while I did listen to this a second time; it was to take pleasure in
    the hearing of a well crafted work.

Very well rendered as well, Mats!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks again for listening and commenting!

I agree about the reverb. I made the mix in headphones and will have a look at it again.

Should anyone be interested in listening to the original piano work, then it's available at my MySpace site.

Thanks!

/Mats
    Mats O Hansson

Mats,

I haven’t seen any of your posts here in a while. When I read the title I scratched my head and thought, “transfigured faun?” Interesting to use works from two composers working at about the same time that were so different from each other (though both creating new boundaries). I really didn't hear the source material, but I know I wasn't really supposed to.

I enjoyed this work. I also listened to the piano version. Although I do like it, I like this one, the one for wind ensemble, better. Very interesting work.
    Trent P. McDonald

Wonderful textures, and just the sort of pastoral with undercurrents of something darker that the British are so fond of!

It worked very well for me.

Owen

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast