• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: I opened my closet and there's NO ACCORDION in there!

Share/Bookmark

I opened my closet and there's NO ACCORDION in there!

Any ideas? I'm about to start working on converting my Tango to GPO, but alas, it needs an accordion. (I know, "use an accordion, go to jail", but hey, it's a tango.) I suppose I could wait for the Garritan GM library, but surely there must be a way to get an accordion I can use. Since I know absolutely ZERO about VSTs and how to use them, can anyone point me in the right direction. I found an accordion vst plugin and downloaded it, but how I do I make it work? (It's a windows dll file)

I'm using GPO studio with Noteworthy Composer notation software. Is there a way to get GPO studio to see the accordion? I also have Reaper available, if that's an option.

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Re: I opened my closet and there's NO ACCORDION in there!

JABB (Jazz and Big Band) has an accordion in it.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro
    JABB (Jazz and Big Band) has an accordion in it.
    Thanks. Time to save my pennies

-gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

GPO Studio cant see other VSTis than their own, so that´s not an option. You need to know how to deal with virtual midi cables, that´s take time to learn, i guess that in the noteworthy forum you can found some help or tutorial. Basicly, you can load GPO and any other VSTi, the accordion in this case, in Reaper (is the one you have) and connect them to Noteworthy via a virtual midi cable.
    BTW, the instrument used in Tango is not exactly an accordion. It name is Bandoneon, and, even they are similar, the Bandoneon sound is a little diffrent and peculiar.

Edit: Read this thread, there is a free bandoneon on it:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=40816
    Marcelo Colina

marce,

Thanks for that information. I will have to learn more about this Bandoneon.

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

fiziwig -

VSTs and VSTi's are just .DLLs. You don't have to install them, but you need to tell your host program (Noteworthy) where they are.

How did you get Noteworthy to recognize GPO? GPO is a VSTi. If you follow the same steps, you should be able to get it to recognize your accordian VSTi.

Then in Noteworthy, there has to be some place where you assign midi devices and channels to instrumental tracks. That would be where you would assign the accordian to its own track.

If there is no way to get it work, Marce's comments about virtual midi cables would be the next step. MidiYoke is a good one (& free). But make sure you've tried everything else first.

Does Noteworthy directly support Soundfonts? That would be another approach.
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

You opened my closet and there's NO ACCORDION in there?

Make sure that old radiator in your closet is not your long lost accordion.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    You opened my closet and there's NO ACCORDION in there?

Make sure that old radiator in your closet is not your long lost accordion.
    When I was a little child in the late 1940's early 1950's, my father, in addition to his day job, was a dance band leader and sax/clarinet player. He had a big old accordion in the closet that I always used to love to drag out and play with, even though it was bigger than I was at the time. I would lift the keyboard end as high as I could, leaving the chord button end on the ground, (There was a button to let the air in or out of the bellows) and then play away on the keyboard until it's weight squeezed the bellows back closed again. Of course I couldn't play the cord buttons because they were on the floor where I couldn't reach them. Finally, when I was six, my grandmother gave me her old upright piano, and I forgot all about the accordion. But I still have this mental image that every closet is supposed to have an accordion in the back, behind the long winter coats.

Oh, and as for Noteworthy and GPO, I use GPO Studio which Noteworthy just magically saw as soon as I installed it.

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Hi Gary, by the way whats that accordion VSt you found and downloaded?

Lets talk a bit about tango. I live in Brazil, boundary to Argentina the home of tango. I play tango in concerts and also compose lots of tangos and milongas.

Marcelo Colina, yes they do use accordion to play tango, as well as bandoneon. Both instruments are used commonly. Tango is more a popular style here than an academic one. You can listen accordionists playing tango at street and parks for money.

Piazzola used to play bandoneon, thats right! But that doesnt mean every tango player/composer plays bandoneon.

Another point is that there is a bunch of styles in tango: You have argentine Tango that is the most known over the world. But there is also Spanish Tango(Andalusian Tango), French Tango, even Brazilian tango and there are some differences among them. Ive even seen tangos entitled "Russian Tango", "HUngarian Tango", "Irish Tango" but these ones I cant speak about cause I never studied them. I think Russian and Hungarian Tango must be musically similar to Russian Sher (Scissor-dance)...using Harmonic Minor scale, just like Hungarian Czardas.

Hope I was able to share some knowledge here!!

Best regards friends!!

::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Renan Fersy
    Composer for Media
    Brazil

JABB's Accordian sounds great. I was also not familiar with a Bandoneon, but wonder if the sound difference between accordian and bandoneon could be achieved by using Kontakt Player2's EQ.

Go Back to forum