• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Ganymeade

I composed this over a year ago for Oboe and Piano. This version is for Piano and Clarinet both from JABB. I ordered GPO for Sib5 last week, but it is on backorder and I am not sure when I will get it. Hopefully soon. Otherwise I would have posted the version seen below.

Here is the mp3

After I composed this piece I decided to add strings and some more winds.
    Here is the link to that version with the oboe in the lead.

Any and all comments are welcome.

Dallas, TX

Thumbs up Re: Ganymeade

Great writing there Ron, it's beautiful! I like both versions and love the piano... and clarinet! I love the strings in #2 also, and this is just a matter of taste, but think the piano coming forward a little bit in the balance would be better, but just slightly. Oboe sound great! Thanks for posting this, enjoyed listening very much!

Re: Ganymeade

Thank you for the kind comments. I took your advice and nudged the piano a little closer. I played with the ambience a little more as well and think it sounds much better now.

Thanks again

OK, Ron I'll skip the wordy review and give you a picture of sorts ...

I felt as if I was sitting on a train looking out the window as it moves franticly over different landscapes. Trying so hard to take in everything I see as it wisps by. Just the thrill of speed puts a child-like grin on my face. Can't wait to ride again!

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

I think I have to go with the clarinet/piano version. For some reason, the melody seems to sit on my ears more gracefully with the timbre of the clarinet - but the "full" version has its merits as well. It helps that this is very nice piece - the contrapuntal writing gives it a nice energy. It reminded me of Gerald Finzi, in his sort-of-Baroque mode. Take that as a compliment, as the writing is highly effective (in both cases).

Have fun with the GPO/Sib 5. It will take a little getting used to (if you have used Sib 4, or earlier), but it can do amazing things, once you get it all sorted out.

Enjoyed this a lot.
    Ron Pearl

Hi, Ron

This is my favorite piece I've heard of yours so far. It rolls along so playfully. - Here's an odd thing to say perhaps, but for some reason I thought of episodes in the original Star Trek series when they'd play futuristic and or/alien planet instruments - ! hummmm.

The Clarinet doesn't seem to have any reverb?--Or maybe it's just super subtle. But you may know how I generally prefer less reverb, so better too dry than too wet, in my book.

Also seemed that perhaps the Clarinetist wasn't being given room to breathe? -whether or not brief breath-catching pauses should be included in a recording seems to be debatable, but I go with the consensus that as long as we're using realistic sounding instruments, it's best to also included the breathing and phrasing that a real live wood wind player would possibly use. Maybe the breaths were there and I just didn't catch them.

It's a constellation in miniature, this piece - I really like listening to it.

Randy B.

Of the two versions, I think I lean toward the second (oboe)
    version, Ron... seems far more impactful, more flowing, more
    energetic and alive.

Intent is, of course, a matter for the composer; but to my
    ear, more work with tempi, dynamics and phrasing in this
    would bring out a great deal in the piece; and relieve what,
    to me, seemed mechanistic in the face of implied expressive

Nice work on this! Definitely grows on me after a couple
    of hearings.

My best,

Penfield (Rochester), NY

I definately like the second one better. There is something a little odd with the clarinet in #1. The second one fits together very nicely and leave me with a better feeling as a whole. And the choice of instruments is excellent. Thanks for sharing it with the forum.

Wilton, NH

I’ll have to agree with David and Gary and say that I like the second version, with small orchestra and oboe in the lead, better. Actually, much better. I think the melody sounds much better on the oboe but I also like the fuller sound on that version. Very well done on both.
    Trent P. McDonald

I too prefer the second version. I feel the mix is more refined and that the added instruments further enhance what is a very interesting piece of music.

Fine work, Sir.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast