• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: This Can't Be Love [JABB + Live]

Share/Bookmark

This Can't Be Love [JABB + Live]

Here is another one of my "Big Band Brass" tracks - live brass playing big band charts with the JABB rhythm section.

This one features the drums.

This Can't Be Love

Critique away !!!

Credits:
    Written: Rodgers & Hart
    Arranged: Mark Taylor
    All instruments: Richard N.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Re: This Can't Be Love [JABB + Live]

Good show! You did a fine job with this Mark Taylor arrangement of an old jazz standard. I enjoyed it.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Now THAT'S what it's all about. A fine piece of work, and an enjoyable listen. Wonderful!

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Great, Richard!

When I saw you here with another one of your live+JABB pieces, I couldn't push "Play" fast enough.

Excellent, smooth performance on display in an equally accomplished recording. Now, how can THat combo of factors be beaten?

And it occurred to me as I listened a second time, that hearing these pieces of yours where you're playing all the real brass can be a good reminder to all of us using virtual instruments that we can lose track of how "real" instruments interact in a recording.

Your brass tracks are as tight as can be, but there are all those little details which come naturally with live playing but DOn't come naturally when using soft synths - Note entrances are ever so slightly staggered, intonation isn't digitally perfect, Notes Off come at slightly different times - None of that to the point of sloppiness - It's just the sort of "imperfection" that I feel we should always be striving to emulate more.

Impossible to have the "organ effect" if we work that way, emulating more closely the way real world instruments sound and interact. Impossible to have "machine gun." It's harder to achieve in notation programs, but clearly, as heard in examples often posted here in The Listening Room, there are certainly ways to have those notated quantized files sound more natural with plugins such as Human Playback.

All I'm saying - This is what we're trying to do, and keeping that in mind is another reason your posts can be inspiring.

Thanks!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Wow... hard to believe this is coming out of a box full
    of wires, Richard.

One hell of a good job on this!

It has that really together, "on the money" sound, to me,
    that I've heard in the best bands... everybody in there
    doing their job to perfection like real pros; and kicking
    over a solid, vibrant performance in the process...

Much applause!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Richard:
    What a great sound. It brings cheers and tears to my eyes to hear such music. I've known Mark Taylor for many years and played practically everything he has written (or had published) with my college jazz ensemble.
    He never disappointed then and he still has it. I am curious about the "antiphonal choirs" effect. Is there a score available? I am blown away by the "drumming" you achieved. Do you give lessons?

sos

Richard:
    P.S.
    The next time you do something like this, try using the Jazz Fretless Bass. I like the way it adds a real solid bottom to big band settings.
    FYI: my opinions are exactly that, my opinions, and can be ignored.
    Thanks.

sos

Larry, Gary, Randy, David and sos.....

I'm glad that you enjoyed this one - I'm having a ball putting this album together, and learning a lot in the process.

sos - Mark Taylor certainly does some fine, playable charts. This chart is one of his standard big band arrangements - I've just played the sax parts on trumpet (altos) bass trumpet (Tenors) and bass trombone (baritone). The antiphonal effect is probably caused/acheived by a combination of using all brass and the stereo placing of the instruments from left to right in a single row instead of the normal placing of the saxes at the front with the trombones behind them and the trumpets at the back. I really like the clarity of mix that this achieves.

I'm afraid I don't have a score available, just the individual parts.

I agree with your suggestion of using the fretless bass, but sadly I've not yet achieved a satisfactory sound with any of the electric basses, so for this project I've stuck with the upright bass.

I have to say that I am very pleased with how my drumming chops are coming along - I think it just comes from listening to how real drummers play in various bands.

If there is enough interest, I'll put together a tutorial of how I put together the drum track on this one.

Thanks guys
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Fascinating!

I agree with Randy. When listening to a first-rate mix like this, I am reminded of just how important it is for one who sequences music using sound libraries to carefully and subtlety break up the perfect symmetry of performance that our computers automatically generate. I spend hours and hours tweaking everything I can in my files in order to achieve something close to the realism we hear in the brass section of your beautiful arrangement.

And as testament to your excellent handling of the rhythm section as well as to the sound quality of GJ&BB, I do not notice any real difference between brass and rhythm; it all sounds as one “live” ensemble. Only one familiar with sound libraries or one with a very sharp ear would realize what you have done here. It’s Magic!

Sean

I have never been in to the Big Band scene. It just isn't my time frame. But as I was listening. I kept feeling the floor jumping up and hitting my foot with the rhythm. Well, I guess it was the other way around. I did smile when I noticed my foot tapping along. My idea of Big Band is when Aerosmith hires a couple of extra guys to do some background with the band.

Cool sounds and good music. Who could ask for more.

Ron

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast