• Register
  • Help

Topic: Down the Hill

Share/Bookmark

Down the Hill

Hi all:
    Here is my latest Brass Quintet,,,,finale 2008, gpo.,cubase (sorta). Please comment. thanks.
    www.garritan.net/files/down the hillhttp://www.garritan.net/files/Down%20the%20Hill%20.mp3
    Last edited by taylorchandler; 10-15-2007 at 06:06 AM. Reason: file protocal stupidity.

Re: Down the Hill

File not found. Did you get the name right? Tip: Before you click the post button, click the preview button and check your links to see if they work properly.

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Also a 404 on that...

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Here's the link:

http://www.garritan.net/files/Down%20the%20Hill%20.mp3

It's an interesting piece, Taylor, which sounds like it's somewhere between traditional and avant garde--the latter because of some unusual atonal chord voicings. It rather meanders, almost like it's five instrumentalists improvising and paying only slight attention to each other.

I'd like hearing more about the metamorphosis of this piece and your intentions. I may well have missed the point.

Unusual!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thanks for the link, Randy. I'm reminded of Scott Joplin. It has a very ragtime feel to it.

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Thanks for the help Randy.!.
    I wrote to Tony to get help with the link protocol. The piece was originally to depict a 6 yr old boy skipping along with out a care and careless skipping down a steep hill with associated falling down to end up trying to catch his breath and bemoaning his wounds. Disassociated dialogue between parts was supposed to convey lack of situational awareness and overconfidence. The construction was mixture of ragtime and impressionism (thanks Debussey) (thanks Joplin) I am pleased that it was amusing,,,,I posted it to please one of my collegues, I never thought it was all that good, just kinda worked as a filler for Brass Quintet.
    John

Hi John,

I definitely got that wandering, carefree mood from this that you were going for. You have some really interesting, unconventional chordal voicings in there that demanded my ears' attention the whole way. Nice job! I enjoyed listening.

Quote Originally Posted by DDW

I definitely got that wandering, carefree mood from this that you were going for. You have some really interesting, unconventional chordal voicings in there that demanded my ears' attention the whole way. Nice job! I enjoyed listening.
    interesting, unconventional chordal voicings

I think that is what I like about this piece. When I compose like this, I get a lot of "I don't understand" or "Those chords aren't supposed to go together".

It's nice to know that I am not alone.

Ron

Go Back to forum