• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: What is Round Robin?

Share/Bookmark

OT: What is Round Robin?

Yeah, i know google and wikipedia, but after read in several places and request, i dont understand what means "Round Robin" applyed to a sampler.
    Can anyone explain me it with simple words?
    Marcelo Colina

Re: OT: What is Round Robin?

Hi Marce,

The typical use of Round Robin is to describe the cycling of samples of a note to make them less static. For example, let's say you have recorded three versions of a Bb tone on a trombone. As the note gets repeated, you can cycle between all three variations to aid in removal of the machine gun effect, as each note attack (and sustain) is slightly different. Whether the cycling is sequential or random and automatic or programmed depends on the capabilities of the sampler for which the patch is encoded. Round Robin samples are widely employed on staccato patches in many of today's libraries.

Hope this helps,
    Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs
    Hi Marce,

The typical use of Round Robin is to describe the cycling of samples of a note to make them less static. For example, let's say you have recorded three versions of a Bb tone on a trombone. As the note gets repeated, you can cycle between all three variations to aid in removal of the machine gun effect, as each note attack (and sustain) is slightly different. Whether the cycling is sequential or random and automatic or programmed depends on the capabilities of the sampler for which the patch is encoded. Round Robin samples are widely employed on staccato patches in many of today's libraries.

Hope this helps,
    Reegs
    Thanks! i understand now! Your explanation is very clear.
    Marcelo Colina

A Robin that ate too many worms. OK, not funny but this is interesting. I've been accustom to hearing that term used on drum set to signify a steady open or closed roll or rudiment covering all drums (except bass drum) in succession. As such, snare, 1st tom, 2ndtom, floor tom, ect. Hearing this term as described above (Reegs) is new to me. Then again, so is everything else on this forum. Very interestink!
    Styxx

which is the origin of the name??
    was this technique invented by a guy named "robin"?!?

brave brave Sir Robin!
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............................

When people are demanding round robin samples I am always having second thoughts. This is because I experienced the machine gun effect with GPO, but only until I made my playing more musical.

With other words, I would avoid playing three or more identical notes in a row on a real instrument anyhow, so why should I use them with a virtual one.

Or even put differently: While interpreting music I spend quality time until I know exactly whether a note is louder, softer, harder or weaker, longer or shorter than its predecessor - even if it is notated equally. This is what I would call "articulation" (aka speaking with music), and when working with samples it always has eliminated the need of round robin samples.

But again, I tend to have extreme opinions when it comes to accentuation, articulations and phrasing. I guess they are my hobby within my profession as a musician, so this all is only my 2c.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

very useful for live applications when you may not have the time to ponder a single note for 1/2 hour (as I tend to do sometimes.)
    I find they(it) are especially nice with drums. Combined with alternating left\right hand samples it goes a long way towards realism.
    If pro is the opposite of con lets look beyond this....the opposite of congress must be progress...

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Perfect specimen of a Little Red Round Robin Hood

Go Back to forum