• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Where can I find the best screaming French Horns?

Share/Bookmark

Question Where can I find the best screaming French Horns?

Hi, can anyone tell me where I can find the best “screaming” French horns samples, like the cinematic kind that pierce through the orchestra and soar high above it at majestic/climactic moments like in the scores boys like John Williams are so famous for?
    "The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

Re: Where can I find the best screaming French Horns?

Epic horns (by VSL) sound epic and cinematic enough for me.

Dont know if they have been discontinued? (cant find any info about them anymore on the vsl website)

Seems to be included in this package though:
    http://www.thomann.de/se/vsl_vi09_brass_ii_sted.htm

You can read about Project Sam Brass vs Epic Horns here:
    http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/p/...88.aspx#105388

Epic Horns is good but sounds almost too big for some stuff..

I think the Sonic Implants horns (part of the Sonic Implants Symphonic Brass Collection) are great at this while not sounding overly massive like Epic Horns sometimes comes across as.

I had done a quick demo on my website of the SISB 4 Horns bells-up patch playing the Star Trek fanfare solo (scroll down to the bottom):

http://mikeducharme.myknet.org

There is a 6 horns patch with SISB as well which compares pretty favorably with Epic Horns IMO.

Epic Horns is DEFINITELY the way to go if you want your melodies to soar. IMHO no horn library is better, mainly because of its amazing, convincing legato samples.

Quick example from my past work

Epic Horns is now part of the "Brass II" Collection.
    http://vsl.co.at/en/211/442/412/358/225.htm

-Alex

dalek3: I agree they can almost sound too big sometimes. But maybe that´s what our hobbit is looking for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo
    the cinematic kind that pierce through the orchestra and soar high above it at majestic/climactic moments
    /Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by drjohnny79
    I agree they can almost sound too big sometimes. But maybe that´s what our hobbit is looking for?
    True, but I think the 6 horns SI patch sounds *very* close to Epic Horns (which is 8), and I own and have used both. By going SI I'd argue that you can get the Epic Horns-type sound plus get smaller sections (4, 2 or Solo) in a single package recorded in the same environment with the same instruments. With Epic Horns you're stuck with the 8 unison horns.

Smile Re: Where can I find the best screaming French Horns?

Thanks for your help, guys. Actually, I am looking for an over the top sound, but not only in the “brassy” fortissimo stopped note horn samples. Those are great. But in addition to these I would like the library to include the more “pure” (i.e. non-stopped/“non-brassy”) horn samples that can still cut through a forte orchestra and raise the hair on the back of your neck without going into “brash” or “brassy”.

My observation has been that many horn samples (both “pure” as well as stopped) tend to lose their punch just where you need it most…in that tiny handful of critical notes surrounding the C an octave above concert pitch middle C (namely the notes B flat though D, concert pitch). I know this cannot be blamed on it being “just the nature of the beast” because a recording of any good orchestra whose horns are playing forte in this register will reveal that this is where the French horns truly soar and are able to evoke pathos like nothing else.

Thanks for the leads, guys. I will check them out. By the way, does anyone know if running either the VSL Epic Horns or the Sonic Implants horns libraries are overly taxing on your system? Based on what I'm looking for, do you know which VSL Brass would be best suited for my needs? I'm thinking Brass II, but if anyone owns these, if you could let me know your thoughts on it I would appreciate it. Also, I couldn't find anything on the VSL site that said it required you to own Kontakt or Gigastudio, etc. Do the samples come with their own player? Thanks again.
    "The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

Hi,

Sonic Implants brass and VSL Epic Horns both need Gigastudio or Kontakt.

VI Brass II has has the Vienna Instruments player, so you don't need a seperate sampler for it.

Also, in terms of taxing the system, Epic Horns taxes my system less than Sonic Implants brass but that's mainly because VSL Epic Horns is 16-bit audio samples whereas the SI Brass is 24-bit. I would imagine the Vienna Instruments Brass II would tax the system about as much as the SI Brass becuase it's 24-bit samples as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDavis
    Epic Horns is DEFINITELY the way to go if you want your melodies to soar. IMHO no horn library is better, mainly because of its amazing, convincing legato samples.

Quick example from my past work

Epic Horns is now part of the "Brass II" Collection.
    http://vsl.co.at/en/211/442/412/358/225.htm

-Alex
    Alex,

for me it sounds that there is a trumpet playing too, yes, no?

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum