• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Want to score a movie? Here's how...

Share/Bookmark

Want to score a movie? Here's how...

So I've often wanted to write a movie soundtrack. Of course that's never going to happen in real life, but there's nothing stopping anyone from making up an imaginary movie and writing the soundtrack for it.

I sketched out the opening credits scene to a spooky movie when writing my Halloween challenge piece, and then it occurred to me, why not sketch out a whole movie, indicate where the musical cues go, and write the soundtrack? So I've started expanding on my spooky movie sketch. The script will probably be pure rubbish and it will contain a lot of dummy filler material like dialogs consisting only of "blah, blah, blah", but at least there will be enough character, plot, and scene information to establish a context for the music. It always helps me to write a piece of music if I have a solid idea what the piece is about.

So far I've written only the opening credits cue, and added enough script material to require three more cues, which I will write next. Then I'll add some more script, add some more music, etc. etc. It should be a fun project. (I can't wait to see how the story turns out, as I don't have a clue where it's going to go.)

My movie is a romantic comedy with a twist of the supernatural. Any one who is interested can see what I'm up to at SPOOKS! - The Movie

GPO is just so much fun! Garritan has given us what might best be described as empowering technology.

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Re: Want to score a movie? Here's how...

Great idea Gary! Can't wait to hear it!

In fact maybe someone could post a short (3min?) public domain horror movie or clip (.AVI, .MOV, .WMV, .MPEG etc) and there could be a scoring contest for it. Just an idea!
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Great Gary!
    The Opening Credit Cue is spot on. I could really see everything happen as you describe it in the script. The establishing shots of the village most certainly contained an old lady taking a walk with her little white dog. I saw her!
    I also liked Brian's theme, but wasn't able to connect it to your description. For me it didn't sound that much "relaxed" and "not impatient" as you mention it. Maybe a slower tempo?

A great idea! I look forward to hear more of it!

/Mats
    Mats O Hansson
    www.myspace.com/MatsOHansson

GPO, JABB, CoMB, Finale2008, Acid Pro 6.0, EWQLSO Pro XP Gold, Kontakt 2 etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram
    Great Gary!
    The Opening Credit Cue is spot on. I could really see everything happen as you describe it in the script. The establishing shots of the village most certainly contained an old lady taking a walk with her little white dog. I saw her!
    I also liked Brian's theme, but wasn't able to connect it to your description. For me it didn't sound that much "relaxed" and "not impatient" as you mention it. Maybe a slower tempo?

A great idea! I look forward to hear more of it!

/Mats
    Mats,

Thanks for listening. I see what you mean about Brian's theme (a walk in the park). I do like the piece, though. Maybe I can change the description to match, like a "happy bouncy walk in the park".

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

You can't be stopped now, can you??
    Keep it up!!!

Yudit

In fact maybe someone could post a short (3min?) public domain horror movie or clip (.AVI, .MOV, .WMV, .MPEG etc) and there could be a scoring contest for it. Just an idea!
    Actually, Turner Classic Movies puts on an annual contest for silent film scoring. The contest is free and ends every March, I believe. Basically, you write a short (30 second) score with a recording (either live or not) and submit it. You are usually given 3 clips from the same movie...so it's pretty interesting!!!

Talking Re: Want to score a movie? Here's how...

Want to score a movie?
    I'd be happy if I could just score!
    Styxx

Thumbs up Re: Want to score a movie? Here's how...

Blah blah blah. I love reading your script that has "blah blah blah" in it. Movie script with blah blah blah, lol, it's one of those things that makes you say, "now why didn't i think of that."

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    Blah blah blah. I love reading your script that has "blah blah blah" in it. Movie script with blah blah blah, lol, it's one of those things that makes you say, "now why didn't i think of that."
    Hehehehe. Well you don't think going to write a whole movie do you?

It's really fun to write a 30-second cue. I already wrote two of them today! The first is 18 measures long and the second is a whopping 14 measures long. How often can you say you completed two pieces in one day?!? hehe.

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Gary -

Just did a quick listen to some of your film scores. Nice composition/orchestration! Nice use of GPO!

And. . . I ALSO want to add that I think it's quite creative coming up with this idea ("Blah, blah's" and all. . . LOL!) to practice film composition to an imaginary movie. It's another wonderful opportunity to compose and record (render) music. Very cool, Gary!

Cheers!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Go Back to forum