• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: "Dorian Gray" - Act Two begins

Share/Bookmark

"Dorian Gray" - Act Two begins

("1900" is a collage I made in PhotoShop for this posting)

"Twenty Years is Short but Long"
    (click the title for MP3)

After a brief Entr'acte, the Chorus sets the scene with the ironically jaunty sounding "20 Years is Short but Long." The song informs the audience that it is now 20 years since the end of Act One. The year is 1900. Many things have changed, and the characters we've met so far have all moved into middle-age and beyond, except for Dorian Gray who hasn't seemed to change since he was 22 years old.
    ---------------
    The Entr'acte begins with the central phrase from "We Can Step Into Forever," a love song which appears towards the end of Act Two. Here in The Listening Room, I posted a version of that song, featuring my first efforts with The Strad.

The "Summertime" section from the "Prelude" is then heard, followed by a portion of "Every Picture Painted."

During this instrumental beginning of Act Two, the Chorus, dressed as the poor street vendors from the opening of the show, gather on the street, braving the bracing chill of an English winter.

0:57 - The song itself begins. Lyrics below.*

2:24 - A brief reprise of part of the show's opening number, "Prelude," when the Chorus comments on the approach of the immortal Mr. Gray.

2:53 - "Fog" - underscoring which follows the number. The Chorus has left the stage, and Dorian meets Basil, the painter, on the street. It's their first meeting in many years. The music includes the theme from Basil's song "Blank" in Act One, and is heard softly beneath dialogue.
    -----------------
    The score for my musical "Dorian-The Remarkable Mister Gray," based on Oscar Wilde's famous novel, "The Picture of Dorian Gray," has gone through many stages of development. These tracks I'm posting will be the "virtual orchestra" used in the show's premiere production coming up in April, 2008.

The majority of instruments in all the recordings are from GPO. Other instruments used in this post are:

--The Garritan Strad
    --Korg X5DR sound module
    --Kawai K3m sound module
    --CZ 1000 synth
    --Mini Moog VST emulation

*lyrics to "20 Years is Short but Long"
    TWENTY YEARS IS SHORT BUT LONG
    THE COUNTRYSIDE IS MUCH THE SAME
    THE MOON STILL SHINES ON LOVERS
    AND THE SUN STILL STREAMS
    ITS BRILLIANT FLAME

BUT BABES IN ARMS
    GROW UP TO JOIN THE NOISOME CROWD
    AND FLOWERS THAT WE PLANTED
    CHOKE WITH WEEDS
    AND TOWERS NOW ARE STANDING
    WHERE FIELDS ONCE WERE PLOWED
    SOME MEN WHO ONCE WERE GOOD
    HAVE TURNED TO DESPERATE DEEDS

CENTURY NUMBER NINETEEN DIES
    AND CENTURY NUMBER TWENTY BLOOMS
    AND PEOPLE NOW TALK THROUGH A WIRE
    THE HORSELESS CARRIAGE BUSINESS BOOMS

FASHIONS CHANGE FROM BLACK TO BRIGHT
    POPULATIONS BURST THE SEAMS
    A MAN NAMED JACK HAS RIPPED THE NIGHT
    DOCTOR FREUD BELIEVES IN DREAMS

CHANGES BY THE DOZEN
    MOVING PICTURES FLICKER

DARWIN IS A MONKEY’S COUSIN
    LONDON’S FOG IS THICKER

AND OUR MIRRORS SHOW DECAY
    WHERE BEAUTY USED TO COME IN VIEW

THERE GOES THAT MAN MR. GRAY
    HE HASN’T SEEMED TO AGE ONE DAY
    SINCE YEARS AGO
    WHEN HE FIRST TURNED
    THE TENDER AGE OF TWENTY TWO

MY MOTHER TOLD ME--
    THERE’S A STORY IN
    (--LA LA LA LA LONDON--)
    THE TALE OF DORIAN GRAY
    THERE’S SOMETHING GORY IN
    THE TALE OF DORIAN GRAY
    WHERE THERE’S SMOKE THERE’S FIRE
    MAIDENS PALE AT THE TALE
    OF DORIAN GRAY
    TWENTY YEARS IS SHORT BUT LONG
    BABES IN ARMS HAVE JOINED THE THRONG
    THE MOON STILL SHINES ON LOVERS
    AND THE SUN STILL SINGS
    ITS BURNING
    TIMELESS SONG
    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Re: "Dorian Gray" - Act Two begins

Hurrah! I've been waiting for the next installment. This is great, as always, Randy. An amazing piece of work.

I'm really looking forward to attending the world premiere performance next year.

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

What a production!

I have been enjoying this from the beginning, Randy. Keep it coming!

Sean

Randy,

Loving every moment of the presentation of Dorian, artwork, music and description.

I think I heard a creaking of the curtain moving up in the background. Anxiously awaiting the next piece of the picture.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Hey Randy,

I think you're aware of the fact that I'm a great admirer of your quirkier, Burton-esque side -- and you certainly hit that mark throughout with this. It's just fabulous! As a closet musical theatre fan (and I've played the pit a ton of times), it's obvious to me you've got that genre nailed. Looking forward to more great Dorian music!

Randy

Great opening to this!!! I love the first few measures. Then a nice little dance number. I hate to keep bring up the other name, so I won't...but the dance has a feel to it like Corpse Bride. I mean this as a compliment!!!

Is that a saxophone I hear in there as well?

I look forward to your installments of this and so far am still believing that these are "standalone" pieces.

Ron

Hi, Gary "Fiziwig" - I'm Very glad this is whetting your appetite for the live production coming up in April. It's going to be faboo to have you in the audience!

Sean - I appreciate you letting me know you've been enjoying this cliff-hanger unfolding of the "Dorian" score!

And Gary Bric, your reply made me zoom ahead in time when there'll be a live audience sitting in an auditorium, hopefully waiting for each scene as anxiously as you are here online. Thanks! I'm glad the graphics and text are fun for you too--I had a great time putting together the collage image for this current post.

DDW - Great to have you back on this new "Dorian" thread. High praise from you - much appreciated!

And hello again Ron - I gotta thank you again for the complimentary comparisons, I love it. And Yes, there's a Sax in there. It's used throughout the whole score, usually nestled in there not too obviously with the brass section, but there are moments when it peeks out a bit more, like in this number.

Most of the raw tracks for these numbers were recorded before I had JABB, so I used the SaxLab VST which is a nice Sax-emulating soft synth. Once I got JABB, I replaced a few spots in the recordings where Sax is most prominent, since those JABB Saxes are more sophisticated than the ones in SaxLab.

So the instrumentation in my score is quite large - Full orchestra with Harp, large percussion section which includes both Vibes and Xylophone, Sax added to the Brass, with a rhythm combo of Piano, Bass, Guitars (trading off between Acoustic and Electric) and drums --Plus misc. keyboard synths, and sound effects. I'm not asking for much hmmm? lol.

Thanks for visiting, everyone!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Glad I stopped by the forums today (..been busy for some time)

Terrific work!, as usual Randy.

I always enjoy hearing the latest installment.( Makes me feel like I'm sitting in the audience, Lol..)

I'll echo the Burton/Elfman comparisons... Your work is incredibly visual. So many gestures, mood changes pre-written. The performers will certainly have a fun time with this!.

There's such a large volume of work here. I'm Curious about something. Have all your compositions been completed already, and you're in the final adjustment tweaks?... or are you still creating new works?

Most Excellent!

As a side note.. I also like the attached visual posters too... You're quite a painter!
    You may even consider turning your stage production into a 2D animation!.. (could be quite fun!)

~Jeff

Oops,

I wanted to say: coooooooooool!

But Ok, Randy, let me tell my thoughts in other words... .

As usual, a greaaaat work, Mr. Randy!

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

You've done it again Randy!

This really feels appropriate for an audience to sit back down after a short break, settle in and re-immerse themselves in the storyline and genre.

Lots of interesting stuff going on here with instruments, dynamics etc.

Another great Dorian production.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast