• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Bricault - First Suite For Band - using CMB

Share/Bookmark

Bricault - First Suite For Band - using CMB

I first presented my First Suite For Band to the forum over a year ago, at that time rendered using GPO and JABB instruments. Since receiving the CMB library I have created a new presentation using the CMB library, with a few noted exceptions below. I composed this work in honor of my daughter, who at the time was a high school senior and an excellent clarinetist.

The following are the program notes to First Suite, into them I have placed the links for each movement. At the end I have listed the instruments used from the CMB, GPO and JABB libraries and rendered in Finale 2006.

Notes on “First Suite For Band”

First Suite For Band is a four movement work based on three tone poem-like movements and a summation finale. The first three movements each express feelings that are invoked by the theme of the subject title. These subjects are stated musically within each movement and again in the successive movements, both directly as well as inter-twined within the subject theme. The Finale brings all of the subject themes together into an energetic conclusion.

I. The Dawn: The sun rises majestically over the horizon, casting its brilliant glow onto an awaking world. A rush of movement confirms this as creatures, great and small, stir to a new day of life. Even the plants turn towards the warming sunlight as if in a lifting of arms in praise to the Creator of Life.

www.garybricault.com/mp3/The%20Dawn.mp3

II. Simple Love: The feeling of love can be shared between two people in ways as simple as exchanging glances, hugs and speaking kind words. The theme is a simple one, basic, almost folk ballad-like. And yet it grows rich and mellow, glowing, stated first as a solo and then in duet, interchanging parts and then in chorus as together the couple walk off holding hands.

www.garybricault.com/mp3/Simple%20Love.mp3

III. The Storm: This movement is divided into three distinct sections. Each project an image before, during and after the ensuing chaos.
    * Summer Day
    Imagine a southern summer day, sweltering hot, scorching to the point that even the leaves on the trees cry out for relief. A sad spiritual is heard in the distance, grows to a crescendo and then fads again as dark clouds gather on the horizon.
    * The Storm
    A fanfare heralds the approaching storm, moving in its relentless might, with the only certainty being its violent uncertainty. Underlying rhythm and theme move in unsteady relationship to one another. Lightening flashes, thunder roars and the fury of the storm is here. For an odd moment a whimsical melody breaks through the din only to be beaten down again by the driving wind and rain. The storm eventually runs its course, moving on as dispassionately as it arrived.
    * Aftermath
    All of nature breaths a sigh of relief and offers a prayer of thanksgiving for the life giving water that remains behind. The opening theme is restated under the choral theme as the music reaches its conclusion.

www.garybricault.com/mp3/The%20Storm.mp3

IV. Finale: A rousing fanfare provides the opening from which follows the themes and variations from the three preceding movements. A lively entrance ensues. A dance begins, oddly enough, with a statement out of the depths of the storm. It develops into in the form of a tarantella underlying at first the basic theme of Simple Love presented in half time and then again in a grand and jubilant chorus. The fanfare is restated and the work reaches an exciting conclusion.

www.garybricault.com/mp3/Finale.mp3

Instruments Used

CMB Library:
    Flute Group Solo 1 KS
    Flute Group Solo 2 KS
    Oboe Solo 1
    Eb Clarinet Solo 1 (Mvt 1,3,4)
    Bb Clarinet Solo 1 (Mvt 2)
    Bb Clarinet Group Solo 1 KS
    Bb Clarinet Group Solo 2 KS
    Bb Clarinet Group Solo 3 KS
    Bass Clarinet Solo 1
    Bassoon Solo 1
    Alto Sax Group Solo 1 KS
    Alto Sax Group Solo 2 KS
    Tenor Sax Group Solo 1 KS
    Baritone Sax Group Solo 1 KS
    French Horn Group Solo 1 KSM
    French Horn Group Solo 2 KSM
    Trumpet Group Solo 1 KSM
    Trumpet Group Solo 2 KSM
    Trumpet Group Solo 3 KSM
    Trombone Group Solo 1 KSM
    Trombone Group Solo 2 KSM
    Bass Trombone Solo 1 KSM
    Baritone Solo 1 KSM (Mvt 3)
    Baritone Group Solo 1 KSM
    Tuba Group Solo 1 KSM
    Cymbals- GPO
    Bass Drum Small
    Timpani
    VDL Xylo Bright KS
    VDL Chimes
    Glock - GPO Map
    Marimba - GPO

JABB Library:
    Tenor Sax Plr 2

GPO Full Library:
    Chromatic Harp 1
    Snare Drums

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Bricault - First Suite For Band - using CMB

A truly epic work! Beautifully composed and arranged. I enjoyed every minute of it. Only one quibble, book your band into a bigger hall next time. If you have Reaper or something similar, download the impulse file for a big cathedral or large concert hall and give the sound some live-like ambiance.

Other than that, it's a spectacular work. Well done, and keep 'em coming!

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Wow, Gary - This is Epic! A wealth of wonderful material, and I can't find quite the word, but there's such a pleasant spirit pervading the entire work which I was especially aware and admiring of. Even during the tumultuous storm, there's an awareness, as I listen, that this is music emanating from kindness--I hope that makes some sense.

All the movements were entertaining, and the Finale is positively stirring, a really great wrap up.

Impressive! - And I know it was a great pleasure for you to work this anew with CMB. Great, Gary!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Very impressive!!

Your daughter is lucky to have such a talented father.

Well done

Ron

Gary:

A most challenging project I must say. Instrumentation was
    very well chosen. I would love to hear this played live.

My only criticism would be in the Finale. It seems the final
    ending is too abrupt; inotherwords, not fully prepared, but
    that's my opinion.

BRAVO, Gary
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by fiziwig
    A truly epic work! Beautifully composed and arranged. I enjoyed every minute of it. Only one quibble, book your band into a bigger hall next time. If you have Reaper or something similar, download the impulse file for a big cathedral or large concert hall and give the sound some live-like ambiance.

Other than that, it's a spectacular work. Well done, and keep 'em coming!

--gary shannon
    Gary,

Thanks for listening and your kind comments. I pushed the Ambience about as far out as I dare without loosing too many notes. I an rendering it totally within Finale with no external process. The score marking pretty much drive everything. It helps drive the process of making the band work as good as I can get it.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Wow, Gary - This is Epic! A wealth of wonderful material, and I can't find quite the word, but there's such a pleasant spirit pervading the entire work which I was especially aware and admiring of. Even during the tumultuous storm, there's an awareness, as I listen, that this is music emanating from kindness--I hope that makes some sense.

All the movements were entertaining, and the Finale is positively stirring, a really great wrap up.

Impressive! - And I know it was a great pleasure for you to work this anew with CMB. Great, Gary!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Thanks so much for your kind comments Randy. It is truely a work of love for an exception student and musician. I took everything that I could think of, the best ideas of the wind band literature that I have heard and applied them without ripping them off. I wanted to write something that was totally integrated, not a bunch of random unrelated music packaged up as so often is done. I spent nearly two years thinking about it and putting the ideas down into keyboard studies before scoring them. I wish this had been performed by her band but alas it was not. But I am glad that it gets it's performance here and finally with the CMB!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer

Very impressive!!

Your daughter is lucky to have such a talented father.

Well done

Ron
    Ron,

I am the lucky one to have such a fine daughter. One appreciative of this effort.

Thanks.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Gary:

A most challenging project I must say. Instrumentation was
    very well chosen. I would love to hear this played live.

My only criticism would be in the Finale. It seems the final
    ending is too abrupt; inotherwords, not fully prepared, but
    that's my opinion.

BRAVO, Gary
    Thanks for your kind comments. The CMB really did the work justice.

On the ending, I agree, it got rushed to completion due to several factors. BUt I have not thought of anything better since then either. I hope to write another suite someday.

Gary

www.garybricalt.com

This piece is, of course, an old friend to me, Gary, from its
    earlier incarnation; and it was a real pleasure to hear this new
    version with CMB. (Of the four movements, I think The Storm
    remains my favorite.) Quite a difference, I must say, with
    the more appropriate instrumentation of this new library used!

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast