• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Linuxsampler, Free GIG file editor for Windows (tech. demo)

Share/Bookmark

Linuxsampler, Free GIG file editor for Windows (tech. demo)

Hi,
    we are pleased to inform you that the first efforts of porting the free, opensource Linuxsampler to Windows have begun.
    For now we have a preliminary build of Linuxsampler's giga file editor on windows. It's a pretty new application and still a work in progress so it's not yet as user friendly as we would like but the app is coming along nicely.
    We post it here as a technology preview in order to gather some feedback and constructive criticism.
    gigedit supports the GIG format v2 and v3, with the exception of performance files and convolution reverb related settings.

here is a screenshot:
    http://linuxsampler.org/screenshots/gigedit_0_0_3.png

here you can find the documentation (quickstart)
    http://download.linuxsampler.org/doc...uickstart.html

gigedit is released under the GPL open source license, which you need to agree with when using the application
    http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

and finally the application is here:
    http://download.linuxsampler.org/pac..._1_0_setup.exe

it is an installer in form of setup.exe which in case of missing gtk/gtkmm GUI libs needed by gigedit downloads them and installs them from the internet.
    (basically just klick through the installer's question (next,next,etc).

if you want to contribute to our project give the app a try and tell us what do you think, whether you find bugs, suggestions for improvement and so on.

on linux, gigedit can perform live sample editing directly within the sampler, without needing to save the GIG files each time.
    Once Linuxsampler gets ported to Windows, it should allow live editing too.

gigedit can run under OS X too but someone has to compile it for OS X first.

for more information about the LinuxSampler project see here:
    http://www.linuxsampler.org

regards,
    Benno

Re: Linuxsampler, Free GIG file editor for Windows (tech. demo)

Hi Benno,
    That's good news indeed.
    I've been waiting for this to happen. I hope this effort will turn out well.

Btw. may I ask why including the engine in commercial products is not allowed? Wouldn't the general interest in improving the engine increase on the whole if this was allowed (under the provisions of GPL)?

Am I right that Linuxsampler can take advantage of 64-bit systems and load more than 3GB of samples? Are there any plans on adding some kind of support for scripting like in Kontakt 2? If there's an interest and it would be possible to integrate, maybe I could help out in that area. I would love to see this sampler reach a point where it could become a Kontakt replacement.

Nils

The lion's share of added features in this project seems to be centered around the ability to play gig files, not development of a linuxsampler format of their own or even adding much functionality to play more open formats.

Way to take someone else's inspiration and innovation, reverse engineer it and make it free.

<sarcasm>Go open source. Yay.</sarcasm>

After downloading, letting it download other files, and clicking on Install, I get an error message saying that:

"This appllication has failed to start because libsigc-2.0.0.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by fizbin
    The lion's share of added features in this project seems to be centered around the ability to play gig files, not development of a linuxsampler format of their own or even adding much functionality to play more open formats.

Way to take someone else's inspiration and innovation, reverse engineer it and make it free.

<sarcasm>Go open source. Yay.</sarcasm>
    Be able to import librarys in other format is a must-have in a good sampler, imho. Many other samplers are able to manage other formats, and that dont means they are stealing something.
    I would like to see an SFZ implementation in this linuxsampler, that is a very open and powerfull format.
    Marcelo Colina

Quote Originally Posted by marce
    Be able to import librarys in other format is a must-have in a good sampler, imho. Many other samplers are able to manage other formats, and that dont means they are stealing something.
    I would like to see an SFZ implementation in this linuxsampler, that is a very open and powerfull format.
    Yes, but usually other samplers have their own format or use an open format and as a convenience one is sometimes able to *convert* from other formats. This one seems to exist as little more than a parasite to Gigastudio.

Also, other samplers compete with Gigastudio in that they are not free. This sampler project is simply attempting to undermine Gigastudio, whether they admit it or not. If it could do everything Gigastudio could (and I believe that is their goal - this is available for PC too), many would stop buying Gigastudio, innovation would stop with the gigastudio format (certainly this project has exhibited no innovation), and LinuxSampler would move on to feed off the next sampler format, ensuring its demise. I very much doubt that will happen, still I wonder how anyone who cares about the future of sampling can stand back and cheer them on, given this project's present course. Though perhaps legal, I see it as a form of piracy in a different disguise.

Linuxsampler + Qsampler works fantastic in 64bit Linux, with the VSL Opus bundle for me.

As far as the question about other sample formats:

The specs for NI Kontakt samples are not released to the public. So it will be difficult for Linuxsampler to use Kontakt samples. And it is highly doubtful that NI would give specs to anyone.

But I'm sure other open formats will come as more people help with Linuxsampler.

And this project is not trying to 'undermine' gigastudio. With the name 'LINUXsampler' you can see that it is a sampler for Linux, and currently the only one that exists.

And Jay: I see you are unfamiliar with open source software in general. There is no hidden agenda here. I have chatted with the Linuxsampler dev who creates this project for free in his free time (unpaid). Linuxsampler is not trying to 'take over the world.' It is mearly a soft sampler for Linux.

You might as well take your 'piracy in disguise' case to openoffice.org and tell them that editing a .doc file is piracy.

Quote Originally Posted by stmiller
    As far as the question about other sample formats:

The specs for NI Kontakt samples are not released to the public. So it will be difficult for Linuxsampler to use Kontakt samples. And it is highly doubtful that NI would give specs to anyone.
    The gig spec is not open either. They are reverse engineering it.

But I'm sure other open formats will come as more people help with Linuxsampler.
    Linuxsampler should have its own format or use an open format rather than specifically targetting the gig format.

And this project is not trying to 'undermine' gigastudio. With the name 'LINUXsampler' you can see that it is a sampler for Linux, and currently the only one that exists.
    Ask yourself why they are now porting it to Windows. Why is this necessary? Why would someone spend so much time and energy ripping off other people's ideas and offer them for free? It boggles the mind. LINUXSampler seems little more than an attempted ripoff of Gigastudio, regardless of the platform that it runs on.

And Jay: I see you are unfamiliar with open source software in general. There is no hidden agenda here. I have chatted with the Linuxsampler dev who creates this project for free in his free time (unpaid). Linuxsampler is not trying to 'take over the world.' It is mearly a soft sampler for Linux.
    It's not open source software I have a problem with. It's this particular project. So what if its for Linux? They are targeting Mac and Windows too. No innovation - just a ripoff of someone else's work.

You might as well take your 'piracy in disguise' case to openoffice.org and tell them that editing a .doc file is piracy.
    This is irrelevant to this discussion - apples and oranges. Gigastudio is hardly in the same position as MS Office and Tascam is not Microsoft. Again, what they are doing may very well be legal, but I question their ethics.

Time to ask...are you in some way related to Tascam?

The gig spec is not open either. They are reverse engineering it.
    So, how come there are so many sample format translators, including gig? And adding to this, what about the commercial soft-samplers?? They can all read many formats, including non-open ones, like gig and akay. Did they bought proprietary rights to Tascam over their format? Those are the ones that really try to undermine Tascam's work, as they are competitors. And Tascam does the same to them!

Linuxsampler should have its own format or use an open format rather than specifically targetting the gig format.
    And then which libraries would you run on it?? Nowadays, most library developers only make them for the most vendable formats (nki, gig, exs24, halion). And have you seen great libraries developed for sf2 (soundfont) format? No, because, although a powerful format, its opensource, and library developers don't like their .wav samples beeing played around freely and used otherwise. So, no one makes commercial libraries for an open-format. And besides, have you thought that maybe the developer is a user of gig libraries?? Maybe, that's why he's doing it for that format! I think there are at least 2 versions of gig format and only the first has become 'public aware'. Tascam doesn't seem to bother with that...why should you?

Ask yourself why they are now porting it to Windows. Why is this necessary? Why would someone spend so much time and energy ripping off other people's ideas and offer them for free? It boggles the mind. LINUXSampler seems little more than an attempted ripoff of Gigastudio, regardless of the platform that it runs on.
    It's not open source software I have a problem with. It's this particular project. So what if its for Linux? They are targeting Mac and Windows too. No innovation - just a ripoff of someone else's work.
    For starts, LinuxSampler is the only one for Linux. No commercial developer bothered to think of linux users...only Win and Mac, as always...One may want to go for linux OS and then what?? No software available from commercial developers!!! Want some?? Do it yourself!! Thats the filosofy under Linux OS, and its your right to choose to use Linux, not Win or MacOSX! Why importing it to Windows and Mac? Why not? Its an non-profitable open-source project, whose goal is to provide the hability for win and mac users to use their libraries without having to buy expensive commercial soft-samplers.

This is irrelevant to this discussion - apples and oranges. Gigastudio is hardly in the same position as MS Office and Tascam is not Microsoft. Again, what they are doing may very well be legal, but I question their ethics.
    And what ethics do you see in charging users that don't use the software for commercial purposes?? GPL license is very clear when saying you can freely use and distribute open-source software as long has you don't use it for commercial purposes. As always, Tascam will follow its way charging for GS4, GS5, GS.....and commercial users should pay for it! That's ethic!!

Having said this, I add that I'm not related to the Linuxsampler project, but I'm eager to try it in the near future, althought I already own a well paid and wonderful soft-sampler . So keep the good work!

All the best to all.

I assure you I don't work for Tascam, however I do use GVI and Kontakt. The lack of a sampler for Linux is no excuse to rape Gigastudio. Neither is the claim that you don't use a sampler for commercial purposes. The LINUXSampler project could easily have created something on its own without ripping off Tascam. In fact you could argue that it would be far easier to create an open xml-based sample format than to reverse engineer someone else's proprietary format. This choice would have also allowed for innovation and extension of the sampler and sample format rather than simply attempting to clone someone else's work.

Gigastudio itself converts only from AKAI and I realize that while there are a number of converters out there, no other sampler blatantly uses another sampler's proprietary format as its primary sample format and gives the sampler away for free.

That about sums it up.

Go Back to forum