• Register
  • Help

Topic: Just ordered KH's Ruby!

Share/Bookmark

Just ordered KH's Ruby!

Well, after spending some time lurking here and reading reviews, I decided to order Kirk Hunter's Ruby library. This is my first purchase of an orchestral library (other then GPO), and I'm looking forward to it greatly. Probably an overkill for a first serious purchase, but I am a little impulsive in that regard. Hopefully I'll receive it by the weekend and will be able to provide some newbie feedback soon.

Steve

Re: Just ordered KH's Ruby!

You will not be dissapointed, it's a great library... I own the emerald and can tell you there are a lot of great sounds in there...

I believe that Ruby is a bit more advanced with more articulations than Emerald, is that true? I know it's the newer of the two.......

KHSO Ruby has the addition of Kontakt 2 scripting from Emerald. The end result is more playability (out of the box), more customizability, and more control.

I own VsPro (Ruby without a few solo instruments) and enjoy using it very much. It is quick and easy to respond and sounds rich and full.

I remember Kirk mentioning that Emerald was due for an update at some point to also take advantage of K2 scripting.

Reegs

I'm looking at his stuff, too, but I can't figure out if you get Ruby do you still need Emerald and vice-versa. His site is a little confusing on this. Are the two libraries the same with just different "tones" of instruments?

- A

Emerald and Ruby are not the same. Emerald is a collection of orchestral instruments. Ruby is a different set of orchestral instruments. If you use both Emerald and Ruby you will have the equivelent of Diamond.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42
    If you use both Emerald and Ruby you will have the equivelent of Diamond.
    I wish the same could be said in the jewelry store!

Quote Originally Posted by angelic
    I'm looking at his stuff, too, but I can't figure out if you get Ruby do you still need Emerald and vice-versa. His site is a little confusing on this. Are the two libraries the same with just different "tones" of instruments?

- A
    Try these comparisons. Please note that the samples of Ruby and Emerald are completely different except for the Solo Strings. The Solo Strings in Ruby are the same as Emerald, but with more articulations, and much more advanced programming
    http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/compare.html

http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/compare_strings.html

I hate to reveal how new I am to orchestral libs, but does it sound wrong or funny if you use both Ruby and Emerald together in the same piece?

Or are they set-up to be used as complete independent libraries depending upon what you are looking for?

Thanks a lot,

- A

Quote Originally Posted by angelic
    I hate to reveal how new I am to orchestral libs, but does it sound wrong or funny if you use both Ruby and Emerald together in the same piece?

Or are they set-up to be used as complete independent libraries depending upon what you are looking for?

Thanks a lot,

- A
    Absolutely nothing wrong with using both. It's all about choices and musical variety. For example, you may want to use Concert Strings (Ruby) with Symphonic Brass (Emerald). In fact, this particular combination sounds REALLY good together.

Go Back to forum