• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Harp Inspiration (Harp Etude)

Share/Bookmark

Harp Inspiration (Harp Etude)

After spending a few minutes in the listening room I noticed there is more harp stuff this season than I've seen in a while. So I was inspired to put a short Harp Etude together to try and be right along side my GPO friends.

Harp Etude

http://www.box.net/shared/dn1cloun2b

This particular etude has been given the name "Serenity", after my favorite movie Serenity, and favorite T.V. series the Firefly.
    Instrumentation

Harp 1 (left speaker)
    Harp 2 (right speaker)

This also has a tiny amount of Phasing on it to give it a sci-fi western feel.
    Hope it will be a full blown piece one day, but it can stand alone as well.
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Re: Harp Inspiration (Harp Etude)

This sounds promising! Do continue!

Yudit

Nice piece of work. It has a sort of Gaelic/Celtic feel to it. I agree with about Firefly. I just can't figure why it only lasted one season.

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Very nice piece. Yeah I like the sci-western effect! Not the sort of music one expects from a low brass player!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Really cool stuff here, both compositionally (e.g. working the density vs. sparseness of the harmonic texture -- nice!) and also with your mix choices. I could even envision this as a post-apocolyptic type of theme. You're really churning out some imaginitive, creative music!

Both the opening and closing were afterthoughts. Also, they were mixed in with the original recording. It took me a few tries to get it on beat. Anyhow, thanks for the comments. Hoping and wishing the Firefly would comeback to TV. I miss it terribly. This will be Firefly Requiem as I have decided about 5 hours ago.

I tried to taste David Newman's theme here without plagerising it. I think it sorta worked.
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Very nice Benjamin.

I would have liked to see the harps intermingle a bit more with the cello and oboe in a subsequent repeat.

Brief but beautiful, Tuba!

I'm not hip to "Firefly" - but then I'm not familiar with all that many TV shows. A cable production I take it?

I love the sound of the doubled Harps. And I admire the elegant simplicity of the entire arrangement.

You said, "...Both the opening and closing were afterthoughts. Also, they were mixed in with the original recording. It took me a few tries to get it on beat..."

As I recall, you don't use a DAW - But I'm wondering how you went about piecing this together, since the above quote from you indicates that you melded separate recordings together instead of working new segments in with software which would automatically line things up to the beat for you.

Did you just use the little Windows Audio Recorder, like you did for the live Tuba playing you posted some time back?

Really nice work - Thanks for posting it!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Aaah, the hills and the glens!

I can definitely taste a Scottish feel (having lived there for 8 years, it helps!).

Yes, please develop this. I can already hear the surging strings as the whole orchestra picks up the theme as the camera swoops over the open moorland.

Very nice work!

wen

Tuba:

Very nice piece. The harp is such a great instrument
    to write for. I particularly liked your instrument doubling
    of melody in octaves. A little more interaction with the
    harp and other instruments would be a definite plus and
    would enhance this piece greatly.

Looking for continued work on this, Tuba.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast