• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Symphony No 5, 1st Movement - More Mahler

Share/Bookmark

Symphony No 5, 1st Movement - More Mahler

Gustav Mahler

Symphony No 5 in c sharp minor ..(1904 version, C.F. Peters)

Part I
    Movement 1 - Trauermarsch

In Gemessenem Schritt. Streng. Wie ein Konduckt.
    (At a measured pace. Sternly. Like a funeral cortège.)

MP3

WMA

Enjoy,

Bill
    Last edited by valhalx; 10-18-2007 at 03:04 PM. Reason: new links
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Re: Symphony No 5, 1st Movement - More Mahler

Bill,

Wow...what an undertaking to input and produce this work. There aren't much larger undertakings save maybe his 8th Symphony or a Wagnerian opera! Really excellent production too. You make the GPO sound so real here.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Hi, Bill "valhalx"

Fantastic. I love Mahler, and this movement's high drama just gets me where I live. EXCEllent realization of it - Congrats and mUCh thanks to you for posting it!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

#5, my favorite. What a great time to pop into the listening room. Listening to it now Bill, and all i can say is wow, excellent!!!

Are you going to be doing all the movments? My DSO/Litton CD of #5 is 71 minutes, that seems like it would take like a year to do that. Would be great though!

David

I saw "Mahler" and thought, I must hear this. And I didn't regret. What an achievement. Great!!!

Raymond

Benjamin Zander and the Philharmonia it is not, but for GPO it is very good.

I like that in this version you can hear certain orchestral parts that get covered up in a live or recorded version of a real orchestra. Gives a better understanding of how Mahler pieced everything together to get the overall sound - we might not hear something during a live performance but we know it is there and something would be missing without it. Funny how that works. Then there are sadly places where important parts are missing: at the 5:08-5:14 section there is a unison horn line that is completely covered up by the rest of the orchestra that should be blasting out over all of it.

Things seem to decrescendo much too quickly around the 10 minute mark, IMHO. Shame we don't have col legno samples for the end (hint, hint).

Nice sound on the final pizz - not too soft as some performances make it, which is completely wrong - it should be louder than the preceding trumpet/flute line - a sardonic, sarcastic pizz, not a quite ending pizz like Brahms.

What instrumentation did you use primarily for the brass? (standard, forte, ag, etc?)

Very nice. Since I'm not really familiar with the piece I didn't have any preconceptions going in, so I can't compare it to any standard other than that I found it very enjoyable. Good work.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    Bill,
    Wow...what an undertaking to input and produce this work. There aren't much larger
    undertakings save maybe his 8th Symphony or a Wagnerian opera! Really excellent production
    too. You make the GPO sound so real here.
    Gary
    www.garybricault.com
    Thanks Gary. You're right. There isn't much bigger except for the Eighth and Wagner. I've
    tackled a couple of Wagner pieces and have decided to wait for GPOA.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Bill "valhalx"
    Fantastic. I love Mahler, and this movement's high drama just gets me where I live. EXCEllent
    realization of it - Congrats and mUCh thanks to you for posting it!
    Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Thanks Randy. Good luck with Dorian. Or should that be 'break a leg'.

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    #5, my favorite. What a great time to pop into the listening room. Listening to it
    now Bill, and all i can say is wow, excellent!!!
    Are you going to be doing all the movments? My DSO/Litton CD of #5 is 71 minutes, that seems
    like it would take like a year to do that. Would be great though!
    David
    Thanks David. Actually I am thinking of trying the second movement. Notice I said "try",
    lol. I was pushing the very limits of GPO with this one and you how wild the second movement
    is.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    I saw "Mahler" and thought, I must hear this. And I didn't regret. What an
    achievement. Great!!!
    Raymond
    Thanks Raymond. I appreciate your comments.

Bill

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri

Quote Originally Posted by ALynn
    Benjamin Zander and the Philharmonia it is not, but for GPO it is very good.

I like that in this version you can hear certain orchestral parts that get covered up in a live or recorded version of a real orchestra. Gives a better understanding of how Mahler pieced everything together to get the overall sound - we might not hear something during a live performance but we know it is there and something would be missing without it. Funny how that works. Then there are sadly places where important parts are missing: at the 5:08-5:14 section there is a unison horn line that is completely covered up by the rest of the orchestra that should be blasting out over all of it.
    First, thanks for the in depth critique. Much appreciated. Good call on the horns. I went back and discovered that while the horns were quite loud at that passage, they were indeed buried by the orchestra. I reinforced them then redlined them. They are now audible. The links have been updated with a remix.

Things seem to decrescendo much too quickly around the 10 minute mark, IMHO. Shame we don't have col legno samples for the end (hint, hint).
    For the decrescendo, I claim conducter's prerogative, lol. That's how I hear it.

Nice sound on the final pizz - not too soft as some performances make it, which is completely wrong - it should be louder than the preceding trumpet/flute line - a sardonic, sarcastic pizz, not a quite ending pizz like Brahms.
    I agree. I've heard too many conductors make the pizz too soft.

What instrumentation did you use primarily for the brass? (standard, forte, ag, etc?)
    I had just about all the horns loaded and switched back and forth according to which horn or combo of horns sounded best for a given passage. In the passage at 5:08 I finally used French horn 1 Plr 1 in combo with FHorn Overlay FF and French horn 2 Plr 1 also in combo with FHorn Overlay FF.

I would like comment here that the 1904 version is the first edition. Those familiar with this piece may hear differences with other versions they are accustomed to. That's one of the pitfalls of performing Bruckner-Mahler. Which version to use. Mahler spent the rest of his life rewriting the Fifth and the final version was only recently published.

Bill

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri

Bill,

I agree with others that this was an enormous undertaking. You've done a wonderful and inspiring job.

Tom

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast