• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Wrote TWO pieces in one day!

Share/Bookmark

Wrote TWO pieces in one day!

Of course they are only 30 seconds long each. Even so, that's a record for me!!

I got carried away by the idea to write a soundtrack for an imaginary movie called "Spooks!". Here's the two 30-second cues I wrote yesterday.

A Walk in the Park (Brian's Theme) (Brian is carefree and energetic.)

Meeting Brian (Miriam's Theme) (Miriam is the daughter of a minister and more serious. Her theme is supposed to have an almost churchy, hymn-like quality.)

Both are 100% GPO from Noteworthy Composer. Reverb added to dry wav in Reaper.

These two are opening cues for two specific scenes and introduce themes that will be further developed later in the soundtrack.

Comments and criticisms always welcome.

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Re: Wrote TWO pieces in one day!

Pretty nice music, Gary!

Meeting Brian (Miriam's Theme), I like it very much!

Fine compositions, orchestrating and sound!

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hi, Gary - Eye catching subject line there! - And even with the two pieces' brevity, my eyes are still popping in impressed surprise at what incredibly fast work it is, to accomplish two cues that are so fully fleshed out and orchestrated in the course of one day. Wow!

Cute themes, both, and very nicely arranged - Once again your musical savvy is so clearly heard in all your projects.

As I said in another thread, I think this imaginary sound track project you've made for yourself is really clever. You explained very well in the General Discussion thread how to have a purpose and a design for composition is what works best for you. I think it's great, to create the parameters of this film project, just as if you'd been commissioned to write the score for a feature film. Great!

Wonderful work, Gary - I really appreciate the unique "Fiziwig" energy you've brought to this Forum.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Gary,

Very nice little compositions, certainly true to the intended themes that you had described. They would be nice to build into larger or more complex settings. Nice use of the GPO libraries too.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Gary:

Keep writing, you're on a roll.............lol

Your work is very descriptive of what you intended.
    That's a definite plus when writing for film.

Thanks,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Lightbulb Re: Wrote TWO pieces in one day!

Good work here Gary Shannon, this exercise you have is something i may have to try. But i will need more than a day.

I love Marriam's Theme the most, but Brian's Theme certainly has a lot of charm, and both illustate the scenes well. Excellent Scoring!

David

Thanks everyone for the kind remarks.

I hope to find some time on Friday to add a few lines to the script and include a "cinematic excuse" for a slightly longer piece, like maybe a 2 or 3 minutes cue based on the love theme to give me something to play with over the weekend.

I think I might actually introduce the ghosts as some point in the script, and give each of them their own themes as well.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

I have a feeling that if I were to stay away from this forum for a couple of months or so that I would come back to read a post from you such as "My tenth symphony - completed".

Your speed of progress is quite impressive!

You really seem to have a handle on articulation now - making the performances sound more real and less like sequenced work.

Very nice work!
    Owen (still jealous about your computer!)

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent
    I have a feeling that if I were to stay away from this forum for a couple of months or so that I would come back to read a post from you such as "My tenth symphony - completed".

Your speed of progress is quite impressive!

You really seem to have a handle on articulation now - making the performances sound more real and less like sequenced work.

Very nice work!
    Owen (still jealous about your computer!)
    Thanks, I think I've found workable controller manipulations for a few situations. (E.g. Did you know that layering the section short bows with the regular string section (each on a separate staff) lets you emphasize or de-emphasize the aggressiveness of the attack, on a note by note basis by adjusting the CC1 balance between them? You can even get the quick, aggressive attack of the short bow AND the long drawn out sustain by quickly crossing CC1 emphasis from short bow to regular during the onset of the note.)

Tenth symphony?!? hehe. Thanks. But I seriously doubt if I will even write a first symphony. I only know how to do "melodies", not motives and themes, and expositions and developments, and all that stuff. I'd be completely lost trying anything beyond a simple ABA "song" pattern played over a simple chord progression.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Gary,

I like these two themes very much; very melodic with much fodder from which to leap into further development as you've indicated your plan to be. I sense a little bit of that Pat Williams-type "theme-ish" stuff in your writing (the Mary Tyler Moore Show, Bob Newhart Show from the 70's among others) -- very accessible but still maintaining creative integrity; nice job on these!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast