• Register
  • Help

Topic: Rosegarden

Share/Bookmark

Rosegarden

If you're into music composition, Rosegarden may be of interest. It's a MIDI sequencer and notation editor, which also has basic audio capabilities (recording and playback). Connecting with Jack, LADSPA and DSSI plugins, featuring a powerful notation editor, Rosegarden should fit nicely into your home studio. If classical notation doesn't fit your needs it also offers a "piano roll" editor along with a percussion editor. The next version should feature lots of improvement in notation handling, along with other modes like guitar tablature for instance.

Re: Rosegarden

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Monaghan
    If you're into music composition, Rosegarden may be of interest. It's a MIDI sequencer and notation editor, which also has basic audio capabilities (recording and playback). Connecting with Jack, LADSPA and DSSI plugins, featuring a powerful notation editor, Rosegarden should fit nicely into your home studio. If classical notation doesn't fit your needs it also offers a "piano roll" editor along with a percussion editor. The next version should feature lots of improvement in notation handling, along with other modes like guitar tablature for instance.
    Rosegarden is included in Ubuntu Studio which I have installed. Everytime I tried to launch it, my system froze and I had to reboot to get things going again.

After some experimenting, I traced this to my soundcard which is an M-Audio 192. I removed the souncard and retried Rosegarden. After some fussing and further error messages it opened. I have to say that at first, I was excited and dived straight in.

I thought that M-Audio cards are supported in ALSA but when I checked my 192 isn't listed. The model below mine, the 2496, is listed as being supported. Unless anyone can tell me differently, my natural conclusion is that Rosegarden doesn't support my 192 and this is causing the freezeup.

Anyhow, at least I got to play with Rosegarden. The problem is I have come from Finale 2008 and Sonar Producer 7 and, I have to say, that Rosegarden, for me, doesn't really stand much of a chance. I readily confirm that, in my opinion, the notation feature of Rosegarden is better than the notation feature of Sonar. But, the Human Playback feature of Finale alone is, in my view, outstanding. I wonder what it would take to get Robert Piechard (writer of HP) on board Linux and Rosegarden!

I am also aware of the various virtual wares available including Win4Lin, Virtual Box and VMWare and shall probably experiment and trial these. I have already trialled Finale 08 under Wine and whilst I can work on a score in this, there are no save options at all so I can't save as a MIDI file just as a default Finale file.

Please don't misunderstand me, I haven't given up on Rosegarden and will continue to play with it .. once I can get it to stop freezing with my precious 192 back in service.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum