• Register
  • Help

Topic: New to Linux?

Share/Bookmark

New to Linux?

If you are new to Linux I recommend doing a basic tutorial. If you need to know more the Linux howtos are the place to look.
    The best place to start is The Linux users guide
    Also check out the kernel docs - /usr/src/Linux/Documentation
    The Linux Documentation project and the The Howto index

Some basic tips for using Linux

The Linux environment is very flexible. All programs can be accessed via a text terminal/console. Many of the programs can also be started with a mouse click. Depending on your level of expertise you may prefer point and click. The terminal is very similar to dos in the Windows operating system only much more powerful. As you become more comfortable using Linux the terminal will become your most powerful friend. From here you can do anything with the computer. Provided you have the right passwords.
    There are many commands that can be typed into the terminal which can save a lot of time. To see the full list available open a terminal and press the Tab button. This will give you an option type y and a full list will appear before your eyes.
    Some of the more useful commands are:
    cd - this changes directories (dir)
    eg. cd /usr

will put you into the directory called usr

ls - this prints a list in the terminal of the files and directories in the
    current dir.

man - this prints a manual for the program if it has been installed in the
    /usr/man directory
    eg. man ls

prints a manual in the terminal for the ls command. Just press q to close it.

mkdir - this creates a directory.
    eg. mkdir /home/newbie/music

creates a dir called music in the ~/newbie directory.

cp - this copies a file from one place to another on your system.
    eg. cp /home/newbie/music/song.mp3 /home/newbie/music/album/

copies the file named song.mp3 into the dir called album.

ln - this creates a link from one file to another.
    eg. ln -s /mnt/DOS_hda2/music /home/newbie/album

creates a symbollic link between the ~/music dir on your Windows partition and the
    ~/album dir on your Linux partition. In laymans terms this means all the files you
    write to the ~/album dir will actually be written to the ~/music dir on your windows
    partition. Now you can read them from both operating systems. Be careful though.
    Due to a bug in the older Linux kernels, reading and writing to Windows partitions
    too much could result in a corrupted harddrive. This is now fixed but only in kernel
    2.4.x.

* flags are very useful additions to a text command. eg. ln --help or ln -h will
    print a help message for the link command. This will give you all the commonly
    used flags available for the command too.

Re: New to Linux?

Hi, Tony...
    Glad to see this here...
    I had started to work with Ubuntu, but got sidetracked...

Here's a useful site to see if a given VST instrument or effect can be made to work in Linux:

http://ladspavst.linuxaudio.org/?

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    Hi, Tony...
    Glad to see this here...
    I had started to work with Ubuntu, but got sidetracked...

Here's a useful site to see if a given VST instrument or effect can be made to work in Linux:

http://ladspavst.linuxaudio.org/?

Jim
    Hi Jim,

That's a useful site which I've referred to in the past with my own experimenting. I would bear in mind that if a preferred VST isn't on the list it doesn't mean that it won't work, WINE is getting better and is updated frequently so what didn't work last month might just work now. I have my own small list of tested VST's which I'll cover here later.

Tony-
    The links in your original post aren't working for me. Anyone else havijng a problem?

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by carlmsmith
    Tony-
    The links in your original post aren't working for me. Anyone else havijng a problem?

Carl
    Links are working now.

Go Back to forum