• Register
  • Help

Topic: Should I crossgrade to Konakt 2 or 3?

Share/Bookmark

Question Should I crossgrade to Konakt 2 or 3?

Hi, I've been following the threads on this subject on the other boards and thought I might ask you guys since everyone on the Garritan forum is so knowledgable and helpful. I am needing to crossgrade to the full version of Kontakt (for some new software I'll be getting) and have the option of crossgrading to Kontakt 2 and then upgrading to Kontakt 3 for free, OR just purchasing the crossgrade to Kontakt 3 (for $50 less--a special deal from a dealer who told me at first he could get me the crossgrade to Kontakt 2, but wasn't able to). To those of you who own and have used Kontakt 2 or 3 (or both), what would you suggest I do? I don't want to have a lot of extra stuff (i.e. Kontakt 2 + Kontakt 3) on my computer unless it is absolutely necessary. But if it is necessary (i.e. IF Kontakt 3 is causing so many problems with my system) then, I would want to have Kontakt 2 on my system as a backup until they get all the bugs worked out. In addition to GOS and GPO I also run EWQLSO Pro Gold on my system. I know EWQLSO users have had problems with the new Kontakt 3, but I haven't heard anything from Garritan/GPO users. Thanks for any suggestions.
    "The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

Re: Should I crossgrade to Konakt 2 or 3?

Hi Frodo,

Good question. I'm not spending the money, so consider that when you read my opinion, but if you're doing mission critical work I think you should get K2 and K3. They are separate versions so you should be able to run them side by side. You do not want to find out that your library will not run or has a glitch in K3 that does not appear in K2.

Of course if you don't have deadlines....

I have heard that the sample library content in K2 contains things that were left out of K3's expanded (doubled in size) library. Whether they have been replaced by better things, are not very useful instruments, or are indeed worth $50, I can't say.

That said, K3 seems to be just a flashy skin version of K2 and its point release it will probably address many of the current bugs. EWQLSO-K2 users is surely a large group that NI will want to satisfy.

So I think it comes down to the library.

(And you can probably make due without it and spend 50 bucks on something you know you'll want to use. Like pizza.)

Reegs

Question Re: Should I crossgrade to Konakt 2 or 3?

Thanks for the advice, guys. Incidentally, does anyone know what advantages I would have if I wanted to run GPO (or EWQLSO) in say Kontakt 2 or 3? Also, is it more taxing on your system to run them in the full version of Kontakt rather than running them in the players that automatically come with those softwares?
    "The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

Get Kontakt 2 first. This version is the best to run Garritan products on as they haven't been tested in Kontakt 3. Most of the bugs are finally out of Kontakt 2 with the latest 2.2.3 version.

Then get the free upgrade to Kontakt 3, but keep Kontakt 2 installed. It appears that many users are having issues with the first release of Kontakt 3. If history repeats itself like what happened with Kontakt 2, then it will be many releases before most of the bugs are gone in Kontakt 3. NI has a tendency to break something new with each release!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    Get Kontakt 2 first. This version is the best to run Garritan products on as they haven't been tested in Kontakt 3. Most of the bugs are finally out of Kontakt 2 with the latest 2.2.3 version.

Then get the free upgrade to Kontakt 3, but keep Kontakt 2 installed.
    Jim
    I agree!

There is no need to delete Kontakt2 after installing Kontakt3!
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum