Here's a March for Mock Orchestra. Serves no purpose whatsoever other than that it allowed me to learn Logic 8 a bit and find out how well some of my soundlibraries go together. Thanks for listening and I hope you enjoy it!
Here are the libraries which I used:
- strings: SonicImplants, StringEssentials, VI Solo Strings and Horizon Chamber Strings.
- brass: ProjectSAM's, EastWest Gold XP, Westgate Horn and Synful Horn
- woodwinds: Donnie Christian's, Westgate, Synful, and the Horizon Woodwind Ensembles
- percussion: TrueStrike 1
- harp: Horizon Vienna Harp
- piano: Ivory
Difficult to unravel the complex chemistry of what makes a mock-up orchestra work or not, of course. In as far as this effort is somewhat succesful, I guess it's been a lucky combination of arrangement, choice of samples, choice of reverb and a couple of fortuitous production decisions. Unfortunately, I don't have any formulas for these things as most of it - apart from the composition and the arrangement - is done more or less on instinct (and very much depending on the work at hand), and sometimes it turns out acceptably - like it does here - but just as often, it turns out a complete mess.
The reverb I used, which seems to please many people who've heard this piece, is Altiverb, with one of its larger Soundstage IR's. Probably that contributes a lot to the spaciousness of the track.
Another thing which I think is very important is the fact that I didn't treat these sounds as simulations of a real orchestral timbres but rather as a collection of 'artificial sounds', thus requiring a production approach that has more to do with producing electronic music (which of course it is) rather than 'acoustic orchestral music'.
And, finally, I don't know if this is interesting, but I didn't use any compression whatsoever on this piece. Just a mild bit of limiting on the Master Output.