• Register
  • Help

Topic: A random Brahms excerpt

Share/Bookmark

A random Brahms excerpt

I just spent a couple of hours creating a complete orchestral template for Sonar with GPO, using several instances of the Kontakt 2 player. To test it out I just grabbed a random MIDI Brahms MIDI file off the internet to test out my creation. Obviously, no continuous controllers were used for expression, etc., but even so I was fairly happy with the result:
    http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com/GPO_Brahms.wma

You need several different reverbs to sell the illusion.

Re: A random Brahms excerpt

I'd enjoy hearing your template experiment, jsaras, but somehow I've mucked things up on this computer and can't get .wma files to play. Any possibility that you could post an MP3?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    I'd enjoy hearing your template experiment, jsaras, but somehow I've mucked things up on this computer and can't get .wma files to play. Any possibility that you could post an MP3?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    I also had trouble with the file. I thought it was because this wma file has to download completely before it starts playing, and doesn't clue you in that it's still downloading. But even after several minutes, when the download completed, the file was not playable either in windoze media player or WinAmp.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

I got the wma to download ok using Windows Media Player. Your tempo is about half speed and very choppy. This is fine as an experiement with all of the pieces that you can now begin to build onto and expand your techniques.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

I've never heard the finale of Brahms 2nd Symphony so slowly before... must speed it up by nearly double.

His best symphony, incidentally. Also the last symphony that I performed in concert. Great horn parts.

Hello again, Jsaras

I've been able now to open your file. Somehow in the past, .wma files would open and play automatically for me, but now I've discovered that I need to download the file first, then my Windows Media Player can play it.

I'm picturing you as maybe being a bit frustrated by the responses on your thread here, because you were intending to demonstrate the project template you constructed, and not so much the "random Brahms excerpt" which you grabbed from the net.

I think you've put together a very workable template for yourself, and that's great.

And I have a theory of what happened when you auditioned the template with the Brahms MIDI - It's possible that a tempo map wasn't included. Because, as the others have said, this sample is playing at approximately half the speed that it should.

Here's what the folks here were expecting to hear - Click the MP3 demo on this page:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...238505-3852727

Be that as it may - I hope you have fun making music with what you've set up in Sonar!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I believe the point here is less the Brahms than the orchestral
    template and sound? Overall, you've got a good sound and
    feel going with this... it should work very effectively for you.
    Two recommendations: You might mix a bit more toward
    center with the strings (this seems a bit left-eared, to me);
    and -- bearing in mind that this will differ broadly depending
    on the material and your personal taste -- it's perhaps just
    a shade dry.

Off to a good start with this!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum