• Register
  • Help

Topic: 30's stlye music

Share/Bookmark

30's stlye music

Has anyone written much music in the 30's stlye? Benny Goodman stlye?

Thanks.

Will

Re: 30's stlye music

Quote Originally Posted by wmusser

Thanks.

Will
    Some, just for learning purposes...what ya wanna know?

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Quote Originally Posted by wmusser View Post

Thanks.

Will
    IF you have a specific selection in mind - I may be able to help you. Early big-band, Paul Whitmann and the music of Noel Coward typically used three note triads and avoided the "fat sound" of the later 30's and 40's big bands. for example, Basie's style is straight ahead 4 or 5 part voicings per section with the trumpets often on top, trombones under them and saxes on the botrtom. Often the Bari Sax and, 1st tpt and 1st tbone played the same line in different octaves. When the voicing got too low for this, then there were overlaps, etc.

there is no "plug in the notes" way of arranging this style. the best thing is listen and enulate. fortunately, if you have a good recording and a CD or record that lists players, at least you will know what to begin with. Some big bands used 2 tbones, some 3, and some 4. Saxophone sections, although fairly standardized, did vary from the typical 2-alto, 2-tenor, 1 bari set up. If you do use 5 saxe3s, do not fall into the trap of voicing the chord Alto1 - Alto 2 - Tenor 1- Tenor 2 -batri, from top to bottom. Many writers used Alto-tenor-alto-tenor, bari for the voicing top to bottom.

Let me know if I can be of more help.

I'd echo the "listen & emulate" advice.
    If your goal is to imitate Goodman's bands, thing of Maj6 chords where a leadsheet would just imply a triad, and think of dominant 7th chords with a #5 where the leadsheet shows v7. Think of "Don't Be That Way."

Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

snorlax maybe what you wrote was basic but its exactly what I needed something clicked

anything you can add would be plus

When writing melodic lines, keep them as diatonic as possible, minimizing passing notes. Chromaticism really came in later with the bebop era. Also, you'll want to keep the syncopations pretty simple as well. As has been suggested, listening is your best textbook. Once you get a real feel for the phrasing and harmonies, it will be easier to apply them to your music.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Go Back to forum