• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Legal Question

Share/Bookmark

A Legal Question

Thanks to Gary, a company from Branson Missouri has contacted me about using one of my GPO Christmas titles as part of an e-card promoting their Christmas offerings. Said e-card will be e-mailed out to their mailing list and used only for that particular instance.

We've agreed on a fee and the terms of usage, but they want a legal form granting the license, and I'm not sure what type of license would apply. I'm assuming it's most likely a Synchronization license, even though it isn't for movies or TV. All of my music business books seem to be out of date on the subject, and I can't find any reference to internet usage.

So, as there are one or two legal minds on the forum, may I be so bold as to ask for free legal advice? Do I send a sync license or is there something else I should be sending.

Thanks, all.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Re: A Legal Question

Congrats Dan!

I have none of the legal expertise you're looking for, just congratulating for the ecard, very cool.

David

Lightbulb Re: A Legal Question

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    Thanks to Gary, a company from Branson Missouri has contacted me about using one of my GPO Christmas titles as part of an e-card promoting their Christmas offerings. Said e-card will be e-mailed out to their mailing list and used only for that particular instance.

We've agreed on a fee and the terms of usage, but they want a legal form granting the license, and I'm not sure what type of license would apply. I'm assuming it's most likely a Synchronization license, even though it isn't for movies or TV. All of my music business books seem to be out of date on the subject, and I can't find any reference to internet usage.

So, as there are one or two legal minds on the forum, may I be so bold as to ask for free legal advice? Do I send a sync license or is there something else I should be sending.

Thanks, all.
    Hey, congratulations!

Unfortunately, I have no experience with licensing music. If you had a patent question, that would be a different matter. I could probably refer you to someone who could help, but I'm guessing you'd first prefer some free advice from someone here who has had the actual experience...
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Congratulations, Dan!

I know little (very little!) about rights, alas; but perhaps
    a reasonable solution would be to simply write a custom
    license agreement that outlines exactly what they may do,
    and (equally importantly) exactly what they may not do.

I've routinely done that in custom software licensing for
    decades, and never run into a problem with it.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks, David. I guess that's what I'll end up doing.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Hello Dan,

Check out the types of licenses available through Creative Commons:

http://creativecommons.org/
    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/

SoundClick.com allows people to license their music with a few different variants of these licenses, or you can even write a custom license. SoundClick has a fairly straight-forward "license writer" that asks questions (can people alter the music; is the music exclusive to one customer, or will you be marketting it to other customers; etc.). If you don't have SouncClick artist page, it might be worthwhile to set one up, just to go through their licensing options.

By the way, congrats on selling some music!!!
    Best Regards,
    Ernie

Go Back to forum