• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need and FTP Site

Need and FTP Site

What options are there for obtaining an ftp site on a PC. We have our website hosted through Broadjam, but they do not offer ftp services.

The faster the better.

"International Award Winning Arabic Fusion"

2xMac Pro 2.66, OS 10.4.9,Pro Tools 7.4.8,Waves Plat,Altiverb
    4xVisionDaw PC,NI Komplete, All Play 1.2.5 Libraries

Pittsburgh, PA 15206 USA

Re: Need and FTP Site

It's relative to the hosting service.
    Almost all hosting companies use FTP. I guess you found one of the very few that don't.

So just change your host.

My website is hosted through a photography site that I am a member of and I use File zilla and on the Mac I use cyberduck.

I can mix and master a track and get it straight on to my site I also do all updates and edits.

And now also at Flickr!

View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    It's relative to the hosting service.
    Almost all hosting companies use FTP. I guess you found one of the very few that don't.

So just change your host.
    Unless I misunderstood your problem, this was my thought exactly.

When you set up a "personal domain" web account with an ISP/webhost, you can usually choose from different accounts that give you different amounts of "storage" on their servers (more storage = more expensive, of course).

This way, you can host large (and not-so-large) files on their servers, which folks can stream or download from your website as they wish. In the typical case, you simply upload/download files to/from their server with an FTP client, using your private ISP-account password (I have used "CuteFTP" for PC for many years).

While it is, technically, possible to configure your own machine to function as an Internet node/FTP server, my (admittedly limited) understanding is that it is a fairly complicated process, technically, and that there are lots of security issues that you must be prepared to deal with.

Chances are, it'll be much easier to (i) double-check to see whether your current ISP/webhost has a more expensive but more configurable account, or (ii) find a new ISP/webhost.

— alanb

Broadjam appears to be touting the music angle but thay are charging quite a premium for it. Do they completely run your website for you? Anyway your average host is less than $100 a year nowadays. I have had good luck with Hostmonster, but you'll find an overwhelming amount of good, cheap web hosts nowadays.
    Eric Matlock

South of the Ohio River

Do a Google search for "ftp hosting" and you'll find more options than you can imagine. That's what I did and I'm happy.
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Go Back to forum