• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Stylus RMX or EZDrummer

Share/Bookmark

Stylus RMX or EZDrummer

There are certainly many drumming software packages out there.
    I’ve viewed many posts in this forum and others that have recommended these and other drumming VIs and have already had a look to see
    if they fit my needs, level of experience with VIs and other considerations.
    From taking all of that into consideration and viewing both video demos of RMX and EZDr, I have been able to shorten the list to these two.
    I have had a look and listen to all of the other popular ones and I would really like to focus any replies strictly to these two for comparison purposes.
    Thus, I would like to hear only from those that have first hand experience with both of these VIs, especially from any Cubase 4 Users.
    So here are my questions:
    1)Is there a marked difference in the amount of system resources, having a bearing on either CPU performance or RAM usage, with either of them?
    2)Is there a marked difference in the number or quality of grooves/sounds available in their core packages?
    3)Is there a marked difference in the ease of use of either of these VIs?
    4)Is there a marked difference in the Support offered by either of the companies?
    5)Can I import other companies Samples into them?
    6)What was your reason for choosing one of these VIs?
    7)Is there anything else I missed or should be asking about RMX or EZDr?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Thx,
    Ciao, Dan

Re: Stylus RMX or EZDrummer

I think these are very different, so this might make the choice easy.

Basically, EZ Drummer is great for realistic acoustic drums with bleed etc. This is what is excells at.

RMX excels at more electronic groove oriented music.

I think the type of music you are creating should dictate which one you pick.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Jeff hit the nail on the head with that one... though keep in mind that RMX is much more expandable with REX file import capability. They're both excellent though, and worth every penny-

Did you consider XLN Audio's Addictive Drums...?

- It's is certainly worth a mention.

check their fully functional demo, and visit the forum... it's an impressive bit of kit.

At first it may appear more aimed at realistic live sounding drums, but don't let that put you off, with the expanders and a lot of power going on under the hood I think you might be surprised at what you could achieve.

- it will export midi files too, although it doesn't yet support MIDI drag and drop, neither does it support REX import, but I'm confident it will only be a matter of time.

It's one of the finest drum plugins I have come accross in a long time, the sound is fantastic. I still use Sonic Charge Microtonic form time to time, more dedicated to oldskool sounding synthesized electronic drums tho, but it's a serious bit of kit too! - Addictive Drums was created by the same guy. I would have both AD and RMX if money were to allow...

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible45
    Did you consider XLN Audio's Addictive Drums...?

- it will export midi files too, although it doesn't yet support MIDI drag and drop, neither does it support REX import, but I'm confident it will only be a matter of time.
    AD is certainly an excellent product, but expecting AD to support REX files in the future is not very realistic or likely. AD is a MIDI Sound Module "kit" type of product, not an audio-loop type of product (like RMX is).

Very, very different products internally. People have gotten these two approaches confused a lot lately.

• BFD/EZ Drummer/AD are detailed, multisampled drum kits that are played by MIDI file performances. These instruments excel at dynamics and mixing flexibility, since they are primarily a sophisticated sample-based sound module.

However, these products have no audio recordings of drummers playing grooves on their live, acoustic drum kits. (the "loops" in these products are created usually with a drummer playing MIDI drumpads).

So you can say that these performances started life as MIDI and then triggered Audio.

• RMX's SAGE system is an audio-based technology, that has audio recordings of performances by live musicians (and audio loops created through electronic means too). You can manipulate the recordings in many creative ways, even though it is essentially playing back an audio recording of a live performance. You can drag and drop a MIDI file of an RMX audio loop to your host...which allows further editing. It's basically a sliced audio file triggered via MIDI.

So you can say that these performances started life as audio recordings and then can be triggered in creative ways via MIDI.

Both approaches are valid and useful, but the results are radically different. One is created via MIDI sequencing and the other is created via traditional audio recording. In fact, they compliment each other very well.

Hope that's useful!

spectrum
    (a somewhat biased source of course) ;-)

I own both Stylus RMX with Liquid Grooves and EZ Drummer with two expansion packs (DKFH and Latin. I don't use the grooves in EZ Drummer, not because they are bad, but because I am a drummer and like to make up my own beats. Stylus RMX, on the other hand, is cool for laying down a rhythmic bed of funky (non-real drum) sounds. Stylus can also mimic a real drum set with some of it's expansion (Back Beat etc) but I think the sample sets themselves are not as detailed in terms of velocity hits (help me out if I am wrong here anyone).

Toontrack has released some really great expansion packs for EZ Drummer. I am jonesing for the Twisted Kit. Fan-bloody-tastic. Liquid grooves is as remarkable and the extra bonus material that comes on the spectrasonic expanders is top drawer and very inspiring. Stylus also has built in effects that are way cool and the Buzz and chaos thingies are fun.

Both seem to eat up quite a bit of ram as they do not stream from the HD. I think Stylus costs about $100 bucks more than EZ Drummer and you'll be looking for change in the couch to buy every expansion pack for both these great tools.

I hate to cop out the usual "buy both" but they really are two different animals. If your music is more straight ahead rock and roll then EZ Drummer may be the best with it's detailed kits and room to grow. But if I was on a desert island perhaps my choice would be RMX. (except twisted kit is a must have.... where's my wallet )

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    AD is certainly an excellent product, but expecting AD to support REX files in the future is not very realistic or likely. AD is a MIDI Sound Module "kit" type of product, not an audio-loop type of product (like RMX is).
    Yeah, you're are toatally right Eric, it would be a bit of an unrealistic expectation! - I did try to edit my post after realising how I'd phrased it... then got kicked off line by my useless ISP whe I hit submit... what I meant to say is addictive drums will most certainly support drag and drop of midi files to host in a short time. I'm half asleep here...

In fact I may as well have been totally asleep...

Addictive Drums DOES have support for drag and drop of midi files into the host in the same way as RMX - and it always has...

- now you didn't pick me up on that one Eric did you..?

Apologies for that useless post.

Either way, both are great in their own way, I already have RMX, but I'll certainly be shelliing out for a full copy of AD soon.

I own RMX, EZD & DrumCore. For more 'traditional' rhythm tracks, I will often use EZD's EZplayer Rewired to Drumcore's kits, build up some midi tracks, demix them and then bounce them down.

EZD has some very good samples and a good variety of grooves; DrumCore (IMO) has better overall sounds, more variety of kit samples, and some awesome drummers. I supplement my midi grooves with GrooveMonkee grooves - some of them really stand out. In hindsite, I probably would have purchased AD or BFD and not EZD, but sometimes you never know until you buy.

RMX is a totally different, beautiful animal. The quantity and variety of samples is outstanding and their engineers have delivered functionality I didn't think could be accomplished using samples (Edit Grounps are a world unto itself - thank you Eric). You need to be ready to invest time learning to really feel comfortable with RMX. My biggest fanboy compliment is that I *often* go to RMX and play around if I need inspiration. If there's any room for improvement, I think RMX's midi handling could be improved, IMO.

My thoughts marked with a '>':

1)Is there a marked difference in the amount of system resources, having a bearing on either CPU performance or RAM usage, with either of them?
    > My experience is RMX requires more resources..directly related to how powerful the app is. EZD and DrumCore are average.
    2)Is there a marked difference in the number or quality of grooves/sounds available in their core packages?
    > It's apples and oranges : RMX has far superior 'grooves', DrumCore has better drum samples, EZD has a better UI. AD has a great UI too. you'll find that there aren't many kits delivered with EZD or AD
    3)Is there a marked difference in the ease of use of either of these VIs?
    >My mother could use EZD or DrumCore..RMX requires more of a time investment to get efficient, I found. You get out what you put into it I guess.
    4)Is there a marked difference in the Support offered by either of the companies?
    > Not that I've found, though the tutorial videos with RMX went A LONG WAY in getting me up to speed. I still watch them occasionally.
    5)Can I import other companies Samples into them?
    You can import with RMX and Drumcore. You can't with EZD. They want to sell you proprietary EZX's. Not sure about AD. Have a look at EZPlayer (free from toontrack). It imports/plays any midi grooves using any VI/Drum sampler including Ultrabeat and EXS. Instrument voice mapping is sometimes an issue with EZPlayer, but it's not a big deal. DrumCore is totally GM, so never any issues with mapping with it.
    6)What was your reason for choosing one of these VIs?
    >> RMX : in a class of it's own. It's a very musical VI if you know what I mean: flexibility and inspiring sounds/grooves/abilities. DrumCore : quality of kit sounds, quality of drummers' grooves (again, musical not robotic).
    7)Is there anything else I missed or should be asking about RMX or EZDr?
    > Don't compare the RMX & EZD, they each accomplish different ends. Compare AD, EZD, DrumCore, BFD. Whatever you do, don't be sold by a UI, listen to the sample quality and the 'human-ness' (?) of the grooves.

Cheers,
    Shaun

One other thing to keep in mind and a topic that is being discussed in a couple of other threads. Toontrack has released quite a bit of expansion packs for EZ drummer recently. We have not seen any updates on Stylus RMX for quite some time...

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

I think the combo of Stylus RMX and Addictive Drums is very powerful. AD will soon have some add on packs.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Go Back to forum