• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: using finale2008 gpo basic orquesta percussion

Share/Bookmark

Question using finale2008 gpo basic orquesta percussion

guys, i want to use the cymbal - sudden crash, and a sustained build up like a metal sheet blowing in the wind. being a piano player and not a drummer, i don't know what these effects are called.
    i looked at a sample by a composer in the garritan library. he has percussion. and a 2 bar buildup from ppp to f. the print is SMALL, but it seems that he has dym over the ppp, pings over the mf and maybe sym over the f. can you guys 'learn' me on this as to what they mean, and where i would go in finale2008 to select the right expressions for sudden crashes and sustained buildups? do i have to create my own expressions?
    i am progressing - and mostly through your expertise. i DO consult the tutorials.
    thank you all for your advice and suggestions.
    ding

Re: using finale2008 gpo basic orquesta percussion

Actually, what I have there is "cym" (for cymbals) not "dym". And
    that's just a label, so when you're reading the score it's clear what
    percussion instrument is to be played. (That is, as a text label, it
    does not actualy do anything.)

The percussion responds to dynamics and hairpins, of course.

Ding, for starters I would suggest you open the Garritan
    Personal Orchestra standalone player and familiarize yourself
    with the available orchestral percussion via the keyboard in
    the player.

From there, you'll need to -- gads! -- become familiar with
    Finale's percussion mapping. My friend, that drives me batty,
    so I am not even going to attempt an explanation... rofl.

However, I seem to recall that someone here might already
    have written about this.

Anybody help Ding out on this...? Wasn't there a thread
    already on this?

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

thanks a lot david. amazing that you can identify your music from my inaccurate recounting of 2 bars. 'cym' it is, and it makes sense that it is just a description reference. will check out the mapping and the gpo standalone player. much gracias

Welcome of course, Ding. Check the Finale manual on
    percussion mapping -- and that should get you where
    you are going. As I said, I have difficulty with that,
    myself, or I'd try to offer more on the subject.

Note that Finale 2008 *does* include some percussion
    maps, ready to go, as .LIB files [again, I have to
    plead a good degree of ignorance on using them].
    On a Windows machine, you would find them here:
    C:\Program Files\Finale 2008\Libraries.
    You can load a .LIB file in Finale from the menu
    File > Load Library...

May I hope you find MakeMusic's discussion of the
    percussion mapping more comprehensible than I do... lol!

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi Ding

Finale2008 has a percussion map for GPO basic percussion (finale edition).
    While the map states that it is for the Finale edition of GPO, it will work with full GPO.

You can attach the map to a score in one of two ways.

1) with an existing score, select the percussion staff, then using the staff tool, bring up the staff properties. In the Notation Style section, select 'Percussion', then click on the "Select" button. This will bring up the Percussion Map Selection Dialogue. Scroll down the list until you see "Basic Orch Percussion GPO Finale Edition". Select that one, then click on the select button. Finally (and quite importantly) in the "Independant Elements" section (BLHS) make sure that 'Notehead Font' is selected, then click on the 'select' button. A Font selection dialogue will come upt. Select the percussion version of the font you are currently using (Maestro Percussion, JazzPerc).

2) If you are creating a new score, using the wizard is the easiest way. Just make sure that you have 'Garritan Instruments for Finale' or 'Garritan Personal Orchestra' selected as your instrument set when you're creating your ensemble. Finale will automatically select the correct percussion map for your score.

Placing dynamics for the percussion part is as normal. So to create a long cymbal roll just enter a pp dynamic at the start of the section, and either a 'cresc.' dynamic or a hairpin and the final volume level at the end of the section. Personally I would use the cresc. dynamic over the hairpin, especially if the section is quite long.

Cheers...

Daz :0)

Thumbs up Re: using finale2008 gpo basic orquesta percussion

david and darrob
    you are both SOOO smart. thank you for that. i will let you know what happens. at this point, i am trying to put into finale - using gpo - a PI
    ANO concerto i wrote in 1961 and 1962 at the very mature age of 19 and 20 years. i had never heard of finale or garritan until early this year.
    so, i thought - por fin - finally. i have an eMac with a gig of memory and that does not do. so, i still have that. BUT dedicated to finale and garritan now is a MAC Pro Quad with 9 gigs of memory and 2.5 terrabytes of storage - which should mean i have enough speed, power, and space to handle these two chanchos (hogs). The Mac store tecnico here in Bogotá did it custom for me. So, david, i have no windows stuff but usually there are mac things as well.
    you guys are very gracious to help me. all i can do is to apreciate you - since on tecnical finale garritan questions - i still do not know enough to say nada. musically, i can talk. tecnico - no. But, you're always welcome at our house here. it is in the spanish colonial estilo, has 18 rooms and should be big enough. it is administered by our princess of a basset hound - PRISCILLA - who is named because her father is called ELVIS. ( we did not want a lisa marie)
    again thank you both so much
    ding

I thank you too, for posting that info Darrob!

also you wrote:
    "Personally I would use the cresc. dynamic over the hairpin, especially if the section is quite long."

Will these two ways be the same on playback, and cresc. dynamic rather than hairpin when section is long, better for appearances only?

The reason i asked is i have some very long hairpins, four measures in some places, and i was going to make a different mus file for the printed score, but if playback is better with using the "cresc" and "dim" i'll change the playback score as well.

David

Thumbs up Re: using finale2008 gpo basic orquesta percussion

darrob and david
    i answered my own question about how to distinguish cymbal, snare, bass, gong, etc. it depends on the line or space on the staff. read some in the user manual. thanks again to all of y ou
    ding

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    also you wrote:
    "Personally I would use the cresc. dynamic over the hairpin, especially if the section is quite long."

Will these two ways be the same on playback, and cresc. dynamic rather than hairpin when section is long, better for appearances only?
    Playback will vary based if the end of the hairpin does not have a final dynamic. So, if you have an open-ended hairpin, the playback may finish at a different volume level than the cresc.

If the hairpin does have an ending volume dynamic, the result should be similar or the same.

You do have some additional control on the way the cresc/dim works in the HP preferences. Look in the "Dynamics and Volume" section. There is a list box to control what sort of curve to apply to the cres/dim. you can choose between Automatic, Cubic, Quadric and Linear

Cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by hermanding
    darrob and david
    i answered my own question about how to distinguish cymbal, snare, bass, gong, etc. it depends on the line or space on the staff. read some in the user manual. thanks again to all of y ou
    ding
    Hi

Going through the documentation is good.
    Additional help is found in the GPO HP Tutorial.
    In Finale2008 it is found in the help, by browsing throught the TOC.
    TOC->Tutorials->GPO and HP Tutorial->Drums and Percussion.

There is a lot of information there, as well a section on how to modify a score to use Basic Orch Perc maps/ Create a custom Perc Mao to suit an existing score.

Cheers...

Go Back to forum