• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New World Symphony, Mvt. 2 (CAMB)

Share/Bookmark

New World Symphony, Mvt. 2 (CAMB)

Here's the next edition to my New World Symphony Field Show, Mvt. 2 based largely around parts of the original first movement, with my own tag at the end.

http://musichostr.com/music/24

Instrumentation:
    Flute
    2 Clarinets
    2 Alto Saxes
    Tenor Sax
    3 Trumpets
    2 Mellophones
    2 Baritones
    2 Euphoniums
    Tuba

I messed around with some of the live playback and performance settings in Sib 5 to relieve the organ effect and overly perfect effect of notation programs, and I used a reverb preset from KP2, so it should sound more realistic. Also, my hosting site sucks so some of the files play slower and lower in pitch than the actually should, but it's not a big deal. Anyway, tell me what you think
    Anthony Abruscato

"There are only two types of music: Love Songs and Pirate Music"

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

Re: New World Symphony, Mvt. 2 (CAMB)

You have some good things going on here. This is not a trivial undertaking at all. The CMB is really has a great sound for this wind orchestra size group that you have put together here.

I couple of comments, there are a lot of funny things going on with the accepts, and it may be in part interaction with the reverb. The attacks are often very over emphasized with long duration of echo trailing off. To me it gives a rather unnatural sound and feeling to the overall effect that you are trying to accomplish with the band instruments. You might want to consider cutting that back just a little to give it a more natural feel instead of the hard driving emphasis.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Hi, raz.bari.88

Gary's comment is exactly what I want to say after taking a listen. The odd thing that's happening with the attacks of notes is spoiling your good work, making it difficult to listen to without being distracted.

It sounds like you've done editing on the .wav forms, like drawing volume envelopes in a DAW, with the opening part of the notes way up in volume and then immediately swooping down. Or maybe you did that volume work in the MIDI realm - but I really feel it didn't work. Aggressiveness of attacks can be controlled by a combination of velocity strength and cc1 volume work without this unnatural result.

Maybe you could tell us more exactly what you did, and we could suggest alternative approaches. Because you've done a lot of work on this, and it could sound really nice.

I'm not at all sure what you mean about your site slowing down playback--? The only way that's possible in the digital realm is if something is being played back at a different sampling rate than it was recorded. I don't see how a site could do that--?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

This isn't the 2nd movement.

EDIT:
    New World Symphony Field Show, Mvt. 2 based largely around parts of the original first movement
    Okay, now I get it.

I'm with these other guys. If there's some way, lighten up the attacks in Sibelius.

This must be a difficult task to arrange this piece. Keep it up.

Nice work, but I must agree with the others here about the attacks.... .

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Yah, about the attacks, the hosting server I'm using sucks and slows the audio file down, so the attacks sound messed up. Hopefully, I;ll find another server that doesn't do that.
    Anthony Abruscato

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

Quote Originally Posted by raz.bari.88
    Yah, about the attacks, the hosting server I'm using sucks and slows the audio file down, so the attacks sound messed up. Hopefully, I;ll find another server that doesn't do that.
    Anthony, occasionally I'm accused of being too "nice" and "Pleasantville" in my responses. I don't think that's a fair assessment, but I do feel it's of paramount importance that we be encouraging and supportive of each other in our reactions to each other's music. Fortunately I don't find it at all difficult to find positive things to talk about when I stop to reply to music posted here. And if I feel it's of possible interest, I sometimes offer a suggestion for another approach. And sometimes I have technical info that I feel could be helpful.

This second reply to you is about as "tough" as I can get - As I said in my first response, I can hear good work in what you've done, and I have no reason to doubt your sincere interest in expressing yourself with music.

But what you're saying about your music site messing up the playback of your music, to the point of slowing it down and somehow changing the attacks of your notes is completely unfounded.

As far as I am aware, and I am pretty aware, it's impossible for a site's MP3 to slow down music. At worst, a site can lower the sampling rate of your file so it sounds duller and less defined, but that's the worst that can happen.

And it's also impossible for the attacks of notes to suddenly be more pronounced because of a site's MP3 player.

The effect several of us are talking about in your post here is an exaggeration of the note attacks which has to be either part of your MIDI file recording, or due to the way you edited the audio, or a combination of the two. When I listened, I just thought of it as a failed attempt at a dramatic effect.

And these exaggerated attacks don't happen in Every section of the piece - more proof that it certainly can't be blamed on the website. You have somehow maxed out the on-start of most of the notes, and we're telling you that to our ears, it doesn't work.

What I think you need to do is realize that there are things you've done in your recording which can be vastly improved upon, and stop blaming a site's MP3 player--since that doesn't make sense.

One of the worst things we can do to ourselves is blame other forces for what we actually have control over ourselves.

Get into your project file and take a good hard look at the files - I know that if you do, you will be able to smooth things out so they are much more effective than what you currently have.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Anthony,

Randy is correct that your web site should not be affecting the mp3 playback. When you convert the wav file to mp3 it is primarily a compression mechanism and will not adversely alter the audio content of the input wav file as long as the sampleing rate is high enough. And it appear to be here. If the web site is slow in its download speed the sound quality is not affected, instead if it cannot keep up with the required download rate, the player will halt and buffer up enough data to create the sound again before playback resumes.

Take another look at your output of the wav file. If it plays back ok then the problem is elsewhere. If not, then perhaps the Sib 5 is "tuned" a little too extreme and is creating the over emphasizing the attacks. Or perhaps you have tweeked the wav file for higher attack emphasis.

In any case, getting rid of the hard attack will immediately improve the sound quality of your work. You will have a real winner going for you.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Anthony, you have a lot of nice ideas going on here. You took time to develop ideas which to me brings continuity to a piece. Some of the instruments do not quite sound true to there nature, but it is a good piece.
    -Jay

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    One of the worst things we can do to ourselves is blame other forces for what we actually have control over ourselves.
    Randy, you're right, I can alter the attacks, and they shouldn't be affected by the site's mp3 player. The one thing I did notice however is that the pitch really has gone down between the mp3 one my computer compared to the one on the server. I used iTunes to convert the file, and it has never let me down. The pitch being affected is probably something on my end, so I'll just fix the things everyone has pointed out, which I am very thankful for, and just hope for the best. Hope to have a fixed one up soon.
    Anthony Abruscato

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast