• Register
  • Help

Topic: Melodies...Memories in Orchestral Form

Share/Bookmark

Melodies...Memories in Orchestral Form

Alright, so I said I would post a GPO orchestral piece sometime. Well, here's the prelude and first movement. Now, I haven't taken any serious musical theory classes (except piano lessons when I was really young, but those consisted of "Draw a quarter note") so I use the term prelude pretty loosely. I plan to use the melodies introduced in the prelude as transitional movements that will lead from one main movement to the next, kind of like the promenades in Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition."

Each movement is based on a melody that I have written in the past at some point or another. The first movement is based on a piano solo called "The Twilight River." I've been having a difficult time getting motivated to write, so I forced myself to start with something simple, an ostenato and a melody, in the prelude. I really am not very good with fanfares, so I kept the intro fanfare short. I'll post the other movements as I finish them! Thanks for listening!

lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5885434&q=lo
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5885434&q=hi

Re: Melodies...Memories in Orchestral Form

WOW! I really like your work both in composition and production. It has a very nice feel and form to it and lots of variations throughout. And the instrumentation is very fitting for the effect you are portraying in the music.

Thanks for sharing it with the forum.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Nice work. So are you going to do "Pictures at a Different Exhibition"? (i.e. Picasso, Klee, Pollock, Miro, Magritte,...)

Kidding aside, I'm looking forward to hearing more.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

This sounds good to me. It has a sound track feel to it.

Phil

Welcome sanyarem,

I like your compositions, very nice orchestrating!

The first one sounds like an old soundtrack...., it`s mono and this gives it this feeling. Very cool!

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Inventive orchestration, convincingly performed. Do I understand correctly that you are only 19? ...and that you've already written a ton of music? Very impressive!

Very enjoyable. Look forward to hearing more of this.

Owen

Hi, sanyarem

Great! And what a wonderful project you've set up for yourself.

I really liked what you said, "...I've been having a difficult time getting motivated to write, so I forced myself to start with something simple..." It's not always easy to do, but we would all do well to remember that sitting around for inspiration is a fool's method. One has to sit down and just start working!

Thanks much for the fabulous post.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thanks everyone for your comments! And englishgent...you're close...I'll be 19 on the 27th.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy

...sitting around for inspiration is a fool's method. One has to sit down and just start working!
    Michael, I don't usually quote Randy because he charges me so much
    in royalties -- but I couldn't have said it better, myself.

And your work is proof of that statement of his. There's a wealth of
    potential in this, interesting orchestration, and a play of thought that
    bespeaks real ability.

Keep it coming!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Terrific. For an exhibition, this was very epic - now that's an exhibition I'd love to go see! The orchestration was masterful; I especially liked the part near 2:00 and the part at the end. The piano section seemed a little weak surrounded by such powerful passages but the music recovered quickly. Congrats.

YBaCuO

Go Back to forum