• Register
  • Help

Topic: Septet for Strings

Share/Bookmark

Septet for Strings

This is a septet for strings that comprises Kirk Hunter solo string samples and Dan Dean solo string samples: two violins, two violas, two cellos. The contrabass is from the KH library.

Halloween String Septet

I used these in GigaStudio (2.5) and ran it through an external reverb unit. It's pretty strident in parts.

Give it a listen, if you will and let me know your thoughts.

Marko

Re: Septet for Strings

Hi Marko,

i liked the composition. My ears hear too much bass (Cellos and Bass?) which seem to overpower the violins throughout the piece. I liked the violin runs which seemed to use up and down bows in clean execution. Which of Hunter's articulations did you use there?

Always a pleasure to hear your work.

best,
    tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

Indeed it's a pleasure listening to your music, Marko!

Thanks Tony.

It's a bit of a grungy mix. The KH violin samples is a combination spiccato-hard sustain--detache-expressive sustain patch controlled by the mod wheel. Yeah. That bass is a bit loud.

Thanks Nhick.

Thanks for checking this out.

I did a string quartet version of this with EW XP close mic samples:

Transylvania Sketch

Marko

Oh yeah,That version is much clearer and your ideas are easier to follow. Glad you posted the second version.

tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

Perhaps you could use the best parts of both versions?

The bass requires more work

i think i like it Marko!!

The composition is very original and the sound is very good. I agree that maybe a little bit of work on the bass would give this work even more light but i think it is fine as it it!

Best,
    Roberto

Hi Marko,

I think that I really like the raw sound that I'm getting from this piece, production wise! I mean, we are all SO used with clinically clean samples, and are annoyed by the smallest detail, but no ensemble would even come close to such a "clean" sound, so I'm really enjoying the more raw sound. This of course does not mean that you didn't not put effort on the production and manipulation of the strings, on the contrary!

I like very much the semi-modal music here. I do find a bit of repetition above my taste, but I see clearly what's going on, so it's great! The odd accents towards the end by the violas (?) are great!

In all it is a very enjoyable piece, which is also saved on my hard disk!

You love your strings, don't you?

Go Back to forum