• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: First Ever Listening Room Posting

First Ever Listening Room Posting

It's been said that art is never finished, just abandoned. That's kind of the way I feel about this project. I'm happy with the writing, but the mix is only just "good enough."

Let me start by saying that I did not write the piano part - it came from a book that my daughter has been playing out of for the last year. While she played it, however, I could hear the orchestral accompanyment in my head, so this has been an excersize in getting it from my head to the computer. My dream is that one day she will play this live along with the recording.

Details: GPO (Finale Ed.) orchestral parts
    Piano: Equinox Yamaha (Steinway wasn't bright enough to cut through)
    Tracks written and rendered in Finale using Human Playback, then imported into PowerTrack Pro Audio (my DAW), the piano rendered there (I played it live, rather than using the Finale version), and mixed.
    The reverb is SIR with the Large Ambience from Echochamber.

Be gentle.

Re: First Ever Listening Room Posting

Hi, raweber

Welcome to The Listening Room!

There are quite a few things at your SoundClick, but I think you meant for us to hear the first song, "Praise to the Lord the Almighty"--?

You've done a lot with the hymn, and one can hear you've worked GPO and your software long and lovingly on this. Sounding good! It's a very Big and grand version, that's for sure. A smaller more modest sound would also work.

Thanks for including info on how you worked this - Quite a process!

Randy B.

A grand rendition for a simple hymn. Very nicely done.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Nice job on this wonderful hymn. It should be inspirational
    for a congregation if this is played while they sing.

Your daughter, I'm sure, is proud of her father's musical
    talent and this should motivate her to become a fine

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thank you all for your kind words. I'm pretty pleased with the results I could coax from the GPO instruments. One little bump I ran into - when I tried to layer the individual strings with the string sections, I ended up with some ugly phasing - sounded just like a synthesizer. My assumption is that the problem was running all the strings off the same staff. I'm guessing that if I broke all the strings into different staves before applying HP, I wouldn't have had that problem. But, by the time I noticed it, it was wayyyyyy more work that I wanted to put it.

Randy, you're right that the song would also be well received with a more modest treatment, but in this case I was starting with an established piano part, and writing the orchestra to match. Stay tuned, however. This is the first track on the new CD - the last track will reprise the hymn, but in a very different context.

Welcome to the fray, Rob! And a grand orchestral
    arrangement of this honored hymn.

Well done!

My best,

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Fine arrangement and rendering of this cornerstone hymn tune. It is amoung my favorites and was the subject of my own arrangments as well. Good use of the sounds libraries and mixing in your own performance.

Welcome to our world!

Great rendition of this hymn! It really brings it out a lot more even though the piano part is well done - Look forward to other things by you!

Thanks for posting - Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

Perth, Western Australia

Hi Rob

A powerful rendition of this hymn. Enjoyed listening to it. I really like the pizz section with the strings.

Glad to see that you were able to overcome the foibles of Finale to get this out and into the world.

Daz :0)

Hi Rob.

Nice Orchestrating! Most imipressive indeed. I bet your daughter was excited to hear what you created from the hymn she played.

I am curious: to what extent does the piano part represent the original hymn? I know I should know more about hymns than I do but...well...

The piano part at times seems a bit simple compared to that wonderful orchestration. Ever thought about some really big arpeggios? I don't know if this is acceptable practice in hymn arranging, but I can just envision Emanuel Ax's two hand running from one end of the piano to the other and stoping on those big climaxes.

One other little thing: the pitfalls of the digital world. While it is relatively easy to get a piano much louder than an entire orchestra on your computer, there is NO WAY that's going to happen in real life. I worry about that final entry of the timpani drowning out the piano completely in a live performance. Strings are versitale; they can play as soft as they need to be. Timpani,Brass,Percussion....nuh-uh

Great arrangement!! congratulations!!! (MY Dad can beat up your Dad......OH YEAH!! Well MYYY Dad's a MUSICAL GENIUS!!! )

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast