• Register
  • Help

Topic: Disc Imaging

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Solved!

I've tried all the options offered me on several forums to re-install my RMX. So far, none have worked. Since I now know it's not the discs (Support sent new ones), my last option as one responder suggested, is making a disc image and mounting it. I won't pretend to have the slightest idea of how to do that or what's needed. If anyone has knowledge of this subject and the procedure for installing RMX on my pc with it; please either post the instructions or e-mail them to me. I'll be gigging this weekend but I'll be sure to check the room soon as I return. Thanks in advance.
    -Rajay

Thanks to all who responded. I tried virtually every suggestion, then defragged all drives and it worked so I don't really know which one did the trick. You guys are the best!
    Last edited by rajay; 11-15-2007 at 02:08 PM. Reason: SOLVED!
    Sonar6PE,GS3Orch,GVI,Reason3.0,Batt.3,StylusRMX w/Exp,Trilogy,B4ll,VGuitar2,TranslatorPro,CoolEditPr o2.1, K2500XL,2xIBMM51P4530HT/80GBSATA/3GBDDR/350watts,2xWD149GBFW,Delta1010,MidiTimepieceAV,2x1 604,20/20,on & on..........

Re: Disc Imaging

Given your problem isn't with bad DVD media (since Spectrasonics sent you replacement DVDs) I can't imagine how creating a disc image (i.e. a virtual DVD with a virtual DVD drive) will accomplish anything.

When you uninstall Stylus RMX, can Spectrasonics support help you make sure you have deleted all of the related Windows Registry entries?

Also, when you say the install failed with the FX, are you (1) saying the installation never completes, or (2) saying RMX won't load in Sonar?

If the problem is with Sonar, I would suggest re-building all of the Sonar VST links as follows:
    1) Launch Sonar 6
    2) Select "Tools", then "Cakewalk Plugin Manager" (a Cakewalk Plugin manager window will be displayed)
    3) In the "VST Configuration" section click on the "Options" button (a "Cakewalk VST Scan paths" window will appear)
    4) Write down the directory location(s) you see (e.g. I store all my VST plugins in C:\program Files\VST plugins)
    5) click on the directory entries in this window then click the 'Remove" button
    6) Click the "Add" button and select the directories you just deleted (we are deleting them, then re-adding them back)
    7) In the "Options" section, click the "Re-scan existing plugins" check box
    8) Click OK
    [In the above, we are forcing Sonar to re-scan all of the VST plugins. Sonar creates some registry entries and other stuff that it stores about each plugin]

Sometimes if I have trouble with a specific plugin in Sonar, the above process helps fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Wafflemaster
    Given your problem isn't with bad DVD media (since Spectrasonics sent you replacement DVDs) I can't imagine how creating a disc image (i.e. a virtual DVD with a virtual DVD drive) will accomplish anything.
    When you uninstall Stylus RMX, can Spectrasonics support help you make sure you have deleted all of the related Windows Registry entries?
    Also, when you say the install failed with the FX, are you (1) saying the installation never completes, or (2) saying RMX won't load in Sonar?
    If the problem is with Sonar, I would suggest re-building all of the Sonar VST links as follows:
    1) Launch Sonar 6
    2) Select "Tools", then "Cakewalk Plugin Manager" (a Cakewalk Plugin manager window will be displayed)
    3) In the "VST Configuration" section click on the "Options" button (a "Cakewalk VST Scan paths" window will appear)
    4) Write down the directory location(s) you see (e.g. I store all my VST plugins in C:\program Files\VST plugins)
    5) click on the directory entries in this window then click the 'Remove" button
    6) Click the "Add" button and select the directories you just deleted (we are deleting them, then re-adding them back)
    7) In the "Options" section, click the "Re-scan existing plugins" check box
    8) Click OK
    [In the above, we are forcing Sonar to re-scan all of the VST plugins. Sonar creates some registry entries and other stuff that it stores about each plugin]
    Sometimes if I have trouble with a specific plugin in Sonar, the above process helps fix the problem.
    Hello and thanks for answering. Just got in from gigging the weekend.
    Let me start by saying I know absolutely nothing about disc imaging. It was suggested that I try to re-install RMX by creating one and mounting it. Now to fill you in on the problem. In trying to re-install RMX disc#1 gets 90+% done when I get the following, "There was an error renaming the file. Not enough quota available to process command". It shows error code 1816 which is a quota error. As I am well aware and support has reminded me, 1816 is a windows error code. I've gone through regedit as well as a search for anything having RMX in the name (which would include to my knowledge, any info within Sonar) on both the C drive and the external drive where the .dat folder resides only to try re-installing again using the windows install function of the install disc with the same result. I understand the rationale behind creating a disc image and mounting it since that would allow me to bypass any quirks created by perhaps the drive that's loading the program. Also disc imaging (to my understanding) is cross platform so whatever platform I'm using won't stop my access to the necessary data. Quota is disabled on all drives so it has to be that the installer is trying to perhaps write over a read only file or something. Believe me, I've tried most of the suggestions given me on this and other forums. If you have one that's logical or have knowledge of this sort of problem, my ears are open. If not, I'd appreciate some information on just how to go about creating and mounting an image. Thanks a lot.
    -Rajay
    P.S. To further clarify, the program never finishes installing. As for the plug-in manager, I'm familiar with both adding and removing VSTs. I've removed everything relating to RMX there as well. As for something in Sonar hindering the install, I've made backups and deleted all files with RMX in them.
    Last edited by rajay; 10-22-2007 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Sonar6PE,GS3Orch,GVI,Reason3.0,Batt.3,StylusRMX w/Exp,Trilogy,B4ll,VGuitar2,TranslatorPro,CoolEditPr o2.1, K2500XL,2xIBMM51P4530HT/80GBSATA/3GBDDR/350watts,2xWD149GBFW,Delta1010,MidiTimepieceAV,2x1 604,20/20,on & on..........

I read a little about your error (the ability to set up user drive usage limits [quotas], and I can't imagine that mounting an image will help, but here goes.

There are two steps involved in creating a virtual DVD (disk image) running in a Virtual DVD drive

1) Create a disc image of the DVD
    2) Mount the image file onto a virtual DVD drive

1) Creating a disc image.

You would need special software to generate a disc image from a DVD. I would recommend creating an .iso file. I have UltraISO, but there are a number of products available (some may be free)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_image_software

2) Mount the image file onto a virtual DVD drive

Slysoft provides their "Virtual Clone Drive" as freeware
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

After you install Virtual Clone drive yo will most likely be forced to re-boot your computer, after which a new CD/DVD drive will appear (it will look like a real drive in Windows).

The most sure way is to write dual HDD's in a RAID 1 configuration, then discontinue the RAID. But updating is a pain.

Then there is Acronis, which I tried recently. I swapped my hot spare using this w/o having to re boot.

I used this instead of the RAID 1 mirroring approach. and I found it to be rahter impressive.

I doubt it would allow hot swapping of an O.S. + Apps. HDD, but as a content drive image, it works very well.
    JimmyV

I don't know why you are trying to make a disk image. If you clearly spell out what goes wrong when you install I bet someone can help you.
    Kind regards,

John
    www.johngrahammusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG
    I don't know why you are trying to make a disk image. If you clearly spell out what goes wrong when you install I bet someone can help you.
    Well John G, I appreciate all the responses so far. This for me has been an ongoing problem for about 2 months. I've posted on here, samplers, Sonar under either "Desparately Seeking Solution", "RMX Re-Install Problem" and God knows what else so I might as well give the explanation to you too.
    To begin, I made the dumb mistake of moving the SAGE folder (that holds all the instrument and graphic data) to an external drive. (WD SATA 149GB) I then had trouble creating a path to the new location so ol' genius decided to un-install and re-install the program. Only this time while using the windows install feature on the installation disc it would only get roughly 90% through when I'd get the prompt saying there's an error either renaming the file or reading the source file. Not enough quota available to process command. It gave an error code of 1816. Since with my limited knowledge I recognized the word quota I checked to make sure all quotas on all drives were disabled. I'd get this error every time the install got to the fx part of the installation. After talking with Spectrasonics support and being told this was a windows error code and explaining every step I'd taken, they sent me new discs to insure it wasn't a bad disc problem. I then did a search on all drives for anything having RMX in the name and deleted it. I followed that by backing up and removing everything RMX in Sonar as well. Then went to regedit and searched. The problem persisted. I then went into services just to make sure I hadn't disabled something that was needed. At this point the only thing I know to do is use the recovery discs and that I was hoping I wouldn't have to do. Since this pc is used for audio only, xp.net, Musicbanken, Mattias' tweaks were all done, including disabling restore so I couldn't go back to a restore point. (smart huh?) So, that's why I'm begging for help. One of the last suggestions I got on Sonar's forum was creating an image and mounting it. I won't pretend to know anything much about the inner workings of windows so I'm looking for anybody who does. I hope I've given a little insight into my problem. Thanks. Look at the bottom to see what I'm running.
    -Rajay

Go Back to forum