Topic: Sweet Georgia Brown [JABB + Live]

Share/Bookmark

Sweet Georgia Brown [JABB + Live]

This week's offering from my Big Band Brass album is:

Sweet Georgia Brown

Comp: Ben Bernie, Maceo Pinkard & Kenneth Casey
    Arr: Sammy Nestico
    Performed: RIchard N. - all live brass, and JABB piano, bass & drums

This one is a little more ambitious than my previous offerings and is subject to a few more retakes.

Just for a laugh I sightread and played the Tenor Sax transcribed solo on trombone - that is one part that will definitely be re-recorded

I hope you enjoy - and of course any criticisms or comments are actively encouraged - I am keen to make this album as good as I can.

Thanks,

Richard N.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Re: Sweet Georgia Brown [JABB + Live]

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    This week's offering from my Big Band Brass album is:

Sweet Georgia Brown

Comp: Ben Bernie, Maceo Pinkard & Kenneth Casey
    Arr: Sammy Nestico
    Performed: RIchard N. - all live brass, and JABB piano, bass & drums

This one is a little more ambitious than my previous offerings and is subject to a few more retakes.

Just for a laugh I sightread and played the Tenor Sax transcribed solo on trombone - that is one part that will definitely be re-recorded

I hope you enjoy - and of course any criticisms or comments are actively encouraged - I am keen to make this album as good as I can.

Thanks,

Richard N.
    Hey Richard,

It's always nice to hear your brass arrangements.
    A great piece! the piano, bass and drums sound really realistic in this piece.
    I just love that great brass sound you produce there!
    Great trombone solo!
    What mutes did you use?

Dan.

YEeeeah, Another broadcast LIiiive from The Richard N. Studios in the UK!

This is gonna be great, it's already nearly great. It's fun that you ran it by us before the final takes. Having someone show such enthusiasm for their work is always so great to see.

You have some distortion going on in this test mix, you probably hear those moments scattered throughout.

And you're certainly right that you've made this an especially ambitious project for yourself, playing the Sax solo on Trombone! Whew - A lot of it's working. You'll probably just want to lay in alternate takes and then comp together the best parts of each of them, ala modern pop vocal recording, yes?

Once again the JABB backing rhythm section sounds great. More noticeable in this rough mix is that the brass is sitting not as much in the same room as you've had on your other more final tracks. Something else to massage in the final version.

Keep it up, Richard - I'm digging it big time!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Richard N:
    Again you cannot do any better for strait-ahead, swinging ensemble charts than Sammy Nestico. It became fashionable at one time in the college jazz arena to put the Nestico charts down, but class will out. They are some of the best training any HS or college band can get.
    I agree with Randy that it was a little ambitious taking on the Tenor solo. I am quite envious of your drum parts. Having played practically every chart Mr. Nestico wrote, I would suggest a little more exaggeration with the dynamics, especially in the "A Cappella" (no rhy) sections--make some of the louds louder and some of the softs a real "pppp" and then explode all of a sudden. What a kick!
    What next?
    sos

Wow, another knock-out, Richard... loved it.

Four aces on the percussion, especially; and the solo
    work, as well. Like Steve said, you can't do better
    than a Nestico chart; but the rendering on this is just
    superb...

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks once again guys.

Sammy Nestico is one of my favourite arrangers, and producs some great souding charts that aren't too difficult to play.

As i said, the tenor sax solo on trombone was really "just for laugh" and a place marker for whatever improvised solo I will put there in the end. The transcribed solo is actually quite playable on trombone but not quite sight readable on a first play through!

Dan - the muted sound is due to my having to use a Yamaha "silent brass" mute pickup so tht I don;t disturb the neighbours or drive my family mad! It is frustrating that I lose some of the brasy edge, but I don't find the overall sound too offensive.

SOS - thanks for the reminder to use dynamics - there are very few markings on the chart, but it would certainly add some interest to have some dynamic contrasts.

Randy - apologies for the distortion, I think I got a little too excited in getting this one posted and didn't pay enough attention when I exported the audio - thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for listening
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Hey Richard,
    Dont get me wrong i love the sound you produce i just thought it sounded like cup mutes we used there!
    Hey got any glenn miller recordings of yourself!!!!

Dan.

Dan,

No - I was just talking through my own feelings about the muted sound. I would have preferred to have used a normal mic but current circumstances wouldn't allow so I went with the next best solution which wasn't perfect but was "OK".

As regards doing a Miller track, well that's always goign to be a possibility but isn't on my radar jsut at the moment. Perhaps for a future project, maybe.

Cheers,

Richard N.
    Richard N.

Go Back to forum