• Register
  • Help

Topic: Enter the Island

Enter the Island

This is my third piece posted to the listening room, and I take an adventure into new territory.

Well, in any case I had some fun. When a friend asked me to write the soundtrack to a roleplaying game event, I took the opportunity to write music that is over the top, but appropriate to the culture of the people playing fantasy roleplaying games (nerds essentially), and I took the opportunity to indulge my own fantasy of writing a movie soundtrack. Also, I wanted the nerds to enjoy it so referenced popular soundtracks.

There are several fun things about the piece. It's full name is "In an ocean, on an island, in a sea, on an island, in a lake, on an island, in a tower, in an ocean, on an island, in a tower, I will be". These words are beautifully sung by my next door neighbour, and are clues to an Emperor's treasure horde. Of course the blasting brass and crashing cymbols were fun too. OK it was all fun.

You can listen to the piece on my blog where I describe the background to the piece and its musical influences: http://theurbanmyths.blogspot.com/20...island-in.html

Or you can just download the mp3 file direct: http://www.wjkington.com/music/mp3/enter_the_island.mp3

Re: Enter the Island

Nice work. But why "Dungeons and Dragons" in small print? I started playing in the early 1970's when D&D was just a small stapled booklet to supplement "Chain Mail" (Which was a much fancier booklet, being spiral bound with those plastic spiral binding thingies) Nothing to be ashamed of there!

Writing background music to a game event is a cool idea, and you did a great job with it.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Hello, WJ Kington!

What a super fun project for you, and now it's fun for us too since you're sharing it here.

Know what? I love it.

In case you've heard some of the music I've posted here, you could easily surmise that I think music should be --entertaining, exciting, dramatic, surprising - and "good taste" pretty much be darned. lol.

I hope at least some of those adjectives apply to what I do, and those adjectives Definitely describe what I feel you've done with this role-playing sound track.

Pass on congrats to your neighbor who sang for you - Nice!

Gary asked why you seemed to want to minimize the Dungeons and Dragons reference - I would suppose, if that minimization was intentional, you may be still smarting from the unfortunate bad press the game had in years past because of its connection with some brutal crimes. Hey - There's a connection to Everything in pop culture to insanity and misfortune, but no more than how it's true that probably 100% of the mass murderers in the last 50 years have eaten Corn Flakes for breakfast.

Masterful use of all the resources you used to put this together.

--Now The Moderator question - um,--you Did use some Garritan libraries in this, right--? Them's the rules.

Thanks for this. See "I love it" above for the most important ending thought on this reply.

Randy B.

lol. Yes of course. It is mostly GPO.

I fattened the GPO Brass with the addition of NI Kontact Brass in behind it. I supplemented GPO percussion with NI Kontakt percussion. I used a NI Kontakt double bass. The rest is GPO except the recordings of the singer and of the beach.

It was fun to let my barriers down and allow in popular culture references and bad taste. Yay for that.

I don't think anyone who actually plays Dungeons and Dragons takes any of the negative press seriously. It's just nonesense. In my blog, I was aluding to the fact that the game has the reputation of being played by Nerds!

Very nice WJ. It has a filmscore quality to it. I really enjoyed this. I thought the voice thing was a nice touch.

Different, but very effective. The voice really makes
    this piece and it's accompaniment is equally refined.

Good to hear a combination of voice and instrumentation.

Really well done.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

WJ, high drama, low brass, alluring female vocals, lyrical
    string work... my heavens, quite a palette -- and, for me,
    someone who's literally never seen a role-playing game,
    an unexpectedly well considered construction with an
    exquisite thoughtfulness to so much of it.

This would stand equally well as a completely independent
    piece, WJ -- very well done!

Bring us more...

My best,

Penfield (Rochester), NY

WOW...this is really dramatic, wide screen and all that. Excellent composition and production not to mention the little extras that make it special.

Thank you very much for those kind comments. Yes, the vocalist (Harmony is her name) did very well, and arranged her own vocal part to dovetail so well with the music.

I was wondering, technically, is there methods to improve the filmscore quality of the piece.

I am used of writing for small ensembles. But for this piece perhaps I could have built more sections? Yes I sectioned the brass, but the other instruments are often just one or two instruments. Perhaps it would sound wider and grander if I had heaps of instruments in each section. Even if I did not write different parts for all of them and some were just playing in unison? Is this a technique to consider and how do people go about building big sounding sections?

Go Back to forum