• Register
  • Help

Topic: After the sun goes down...(just jazzin')

Share/Bookmark

After the sun goes down...(just jazzin')

Hi all. I've been experimenting a little. I'm in no way a jazz musician but, I decided to try to do a little jazz piece. It's pretty basic as far as structure so I tried to "mix" it up a little. It features a trumpet as the lead and a small acoustic guitar solo. Below are the instruments and libraries used.

GPO

Basses
    Steinway B
    Trumpet's
    Trombone's
    French Horn's

EWQL

Solo Trumpet
    Xylophone

YELLOW TOOLS

Drum Kit
    Fretless Bass
    Acoustic Guitar
    Wood Blocks

SEQUENCER

Fruity Loops

FINAL MIXDOWN

Reaper

EFFECTS PATCHES

Rea(EQ)
    Rea(verb)
    Sonic Foundary Ambient Verb

Hope you enjoy it. Here is the link:

http://www.box.net/shared/y8bg0nxo8y
    "A wrong note played timidly, is still a wrong note. A wrong note played with authority, is improvisation."

Re: After the sun goes down...(just jazzin')

Shaver:
    Very nice for a "first" attempt. Your melodies, changes and rhythms are excellent. I'm wondering who your influences are as this sounds more Funk oriented to me than jazz, but I am old school jazz, and sometimes get caught up in semantics.
    sos

Shaver! - You are Ruling the air waves at my place tonight! Yeah, it's semi-fusion style jazz, at least as much "jazz" as the "cool sounds of jazz" station here in my area.

Great use of the GPO and EWQL trumpets, your drum kit is Happening.

Hope I like it, you say? - SOrry - I love it!

NIiiiiiice.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Very enjoyable piece. I'm no expert on jazz, but it sounded plenty jazzy to me. Very tasty. I've never had the courage to try doing a jazz piece. My hat's off to you for a job well done.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

I liked this shaver. Non if it sounds intentional (thats a good thing). I liked the combination of instruments. It is a little simple, but I think that helps to make it easy to listen to. Nice job.
    -Jay

Shaver:

Really nice beat. The piece moves very nicely and
    your attempt at jazz or jazz fusion is very well-founded.

Enjoyed this romp........

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Shaver, great job on this... kind of a stylistic blend of Funk,
    Pop, Easy, and Jazz. I like the very relaxed, improvisational
    feel of the whole piece; the free-form solo work sounds quite
    natural, flowing, unforced. Excellent choice of ensemble on
    this, too... very clean, uncluttered sound and feel to it,
    even though it's cooking along with quite a bit going on at
    times.

High marks on this one -- a most pleasurable listen!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks everyone who has taken time to listen to this little ditty. As I mentioned, I'm no jazz musician, but, I wanted to give it a try. I suppose, it is more of a "hybrid" of jazz, easy listening, funk, AND fusion as etLux has mentioned. The melody came about rather accidently (but, isn't that how it usually happens?). I was just sitting at my keyboard, (working on another piece) and playing short "chops" because I was having brain lock. Well, as creativity sparked, I closed the piece I was working on and diddled with the melody of this new piece. Within a few hours, I had the melody done and I just listened to it over and over as I heard "new" sections and instruments screaming to be played. For some reason, this piece just "flowed" out and in a matter of a week, I pretty much had it comepleted. I suppose it worked so well because as jaynkate01 said, "It is a little simple, but I think that helps to make it easy to listen to." AND compose.

I really didn't have any influences when composing this piece; it just "sounded" jazzy to me. I've not listened to much jazz at all, at least, not regularly enough to know artists.

So anyway, this was just an experiment of mine to try to get a "feel" for something in the jazzy mode. Glad those of you who listened to it enjoyed it and rbowser (Randy), you said, "Hope I like it, you say? - SOrry - I love it!" LOL! Glad it was "Ruling the air waves at my place tonight!" as you put it.

Jaker "Shaver"
    "A wrong note played timidly, is still a wrong note. A wrong note played with authority, is improvisation."

Shaver,

Hey great first attempt. Your second attempt should be all the better. Nice composition and delivery, the whole package is excellent. Thanks for sharing it with the forum.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum