• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: IMSLP closed undefinately :(

Share/Bookmark

IMSLP closed undefinately :(

http://imslp.org/

For those who didn't know. IMSLP was a FREE, non COMMERCIAL, non gathering money database (wiki based) of FREE, and COPYRIGHT FREE ONLY scores.

However they received a cease and disist (or however it's spelled) letter from Universal Editions (the whatever really and I'm not sorry to use this term), thus this amazing site is down, for who knows how long, or for ever.

And the letter: http://imslpforums.org/Second%20U-E%...t%20Letter.pdf

Notice that there is NOTHING WRONG yet, but in case that something DOES happen, they want imslp.org closed down.

A really awful thing! A really awful thing!

Re: IMSLP closed undefinately :(

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    A really awful thing! A really awful thing!
    That would really be an awful thing!
    I was trying to enter IMSLP the other day and was surprised to see it didn't come up...
    I'm a regular there, so much wonderful material, and free as it should be!
    I sure hope it won't get down to closing it... (praying)

Yudit

It's already down, with no plans to battle this huge fight (financial issues really). I mean, how on earth do you battle EU? I know that they have 2 university departments researching on this (law departments, and teams and all), but still things, don't look really optimistic...

Exclamation Re: IMSLP closed undefinately :(

I have just learned the same thing! We are all doomed!

Angry Re: IMSLP closed undefinately :(

Like I have said before, this copyright nonesense is gone way too far!

On IMSLP was only music which were in public domain and therefor I don't see any reason that Universal Edition (what a hell is that anyway?) have a claim to close IMSLP.

I will surely boycott any scores published by Universal Edition and those who are associated with that company.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Maybe we should blast their mailboxes with angry letters?
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1
    Agree. IMO, the second thing to do is to fill our mailboxes with public domain scores and exchange them p2p. Easy, affordable, accurate, perfectly legal.
    Mac Pro Quad Core, 23" Apple Cinema, Logic Pro 8.x + VSL PRO Edition, some of the VI's, GPO, Ivory, Edirol UA-25 audio card, Event TR6 monitors, 1 girlfriend (Ines).

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1
    How about a burning bag of dog poo on their doorstep?

This really sucks. I didn't get to read the original cease and desist, but I don't know what the problem can be. I suppose there's the possibility that people were posting works that were public domain, but where the 'typesetting' of the particular edition posted was not. It's also possible that people were posting works which were public domain in the country they were posting, but not in some other countries. Either way, UE really ought to have had more common sense than to behave like the Big-Bad right from the off. All that does is generate bad will towards them.

Appearently they have done a lot for conteporary composers in the past giving them contracts. I even found one of my composition teachers in their list.

So I would be interested into both sides of the story before coming to a conclusion.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    Appearently they have done a lot for conteporary composers in the past giving them contracts. I even found one of my composition teachers in their list.

So I would be interested into both sides of the story before coming to a conclusion.

Hannes
    you're for THE MAN?!?!?!?! i'm only kidding, and i can totally see your point. and if this is the case that modern composers who make money by selling these scores are getting their things posted something has to be done. i just feel that it should be a case by case problem as opposed to just shutting down something like this. its like shutting down all hospitals because a doctor or two didn't have the right qualifications. this has been a wonderful resource to me, as i'm sure it has countless others. i've used it to help me with orchestrating, or just give me an idea as to what was going on in a composers head. anyway, it just seems that a few improperly posted works should shut down something that has become an invaluable resource to so many. this just seems like the big ole music industry making excuses to close down something that doesn't make them money.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Go Back to forum