• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Topic: Gabrieli - Surrexit Christus

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Gabrieli - Surrexit Christus

    For forum listeners that have been around the past few months, this is yet another installment in the Giovanni "Wide-Screen" Gabrieli series. The "Surrexit Christus" (Christ Has Risen) circa 1600, was composed for 11 voices plus organ bass line; 8 instrumental, 4 vocal and the organ.

    Here I have set it to two brass ensembles, 8 in the main choir (left to center) and the remaining in the other choir (center to right). I have rendered it using Finale 2006 as input and the GPO brass and JABB bass trombone. I set the Ambiance for a fairly large space as one might hear it in the composer's setting.

    Choir 1:
    Tumpets 1 & 2
    F Horns 1 & 2
    Tenor Trombones 1 & 2
    Bass Trombone 1
    Tuba 1

    Choir 2:
    F Horn 2
    Tenor Trombone 3
    Bass Trombone 2
    Tuba 2

    www.garybricault.com/mp3/GabrieliSurrexitChristus11VociBrass.mp3

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  2. #2

    Re: Gabrieli - Surrexit Christus

    Beautiful setting of a beautiful piece. Very nicely done! I did notice a little bit of minor clipping distortion in a couple places (maybe take the mix gain down half a dB), but other than that it was beautifully done. Good job.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Re: Gabrieli - Surrexit Christus

    Quote Originally Posted by fiziwig
    Beautiful setting of a beautiful piece. Very nicely done! I did notice a little bit of minor clipping distortion in a couple places (maybe take the mix gain down half a dB), but other than that it was beautifully done. Good job.
    Thanks Gary. Glad you enjoyed it.

    Hmmmm .5 db is not a lot I found a couple of place where the interplay in the low brass was making the buzz. I tweeked it down a little and I think it is ok now.

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  4. #4

    Re: Gabrieli - Surrexit Christus

    Whatever you did cleaned it up perfectly. Very nice sound. For what it's worth I've discovered that I can mix something perfectly in Reaper at 0 dB and then when I encode it to MP3 it ends up a few tenths of a dB higher which can slightly clip a few waves here and there introducing what the ear picks up either as high harmonics or crackle, depending on the severity of the clip. I usually mix half a dB below zero just to be safe for when I do the MP3 conversion.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

  5. #5

    Re: Gabrieli - Surrexit Christus

    A great choice of music Gary - and the treatment you've given it here is highly effective. The ambience works well and the separation of the two 'choirs' is well balanced and helps to preserve clarity. I enjoyed this.

    Regards, Graham

  6. #6

    Re: Gabrieli - Surrexit Christus

    Very nice. I'm a big fan of Gabrieli. So when are you going to do the 5.1 surround mix? His antiphonal works beg for surround sound. I have a CD with some Gabrieli mixed in Dolby Surround. Sounds really good with a Pro Logic II decoder.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Re: Gabrieli - Surrexit Christus

    Quote Originally Posted by fiziwig
    Whatever you did cleaned it up perfectly. Very nice sound. For what it's worth I've discovered that I can mix something perfectly in Reaper at 0 dB and then when I encode it to MP3 it ends up a few tenths of a dB higher which can slightly clip a few waves here and there introducing what the ear picks up either as high harmonics or crackle, depending on the severity of the clip. I usually mix half a dB below zero just to be safe for when I do the MP3 conversion.
    Hi Gary,

    In this case I could just hear the buzzing during score playback in a couple of places where the low brass doubled. I would be surprised that the wav to mp3 conversion would cause a clip although the compression may emphasize a flaw already there. I am not an expert on it. But I am glad that it is now just that much better.

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Re: Gabrieli - Surrexit Christus

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch
    A great choice of music Gary - and the treatment you've given it here is highly effective. The ambience works well and the separation of the two 'choirs' is well balanced and helps to preserve clarity. I enjoyed this.

    Regards, Graham
    Graham,

    Thanks. I have never heard the original but in my mind it is universal enough to warrent the big brass treatment. The vocal choir is really quite interesting that way it is worked in with the 8 voices of accompiment. And the separation makes it all the better.

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Re: Gabrieli - Surrexit Christus

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig F
    Very nice. I'm a big fan of Gabrieli. So when are you going to do the 5.1 surround mix? His antiphonal works beg for surround sound. I have a CD with some Gabrieli mixed in Dolby Surround. Sounds really good with a Pro Logic II decoder.
    Craig,

    I would love to do a 5.1 surround with this. The echo that comes back from behind would be really mind blowing. And just think, this music was worked out without the aid of any computer technology, all ink and quill and shear musical genious!! These guys were way ahead in thinking and the resulting music is still around centuries later.

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  10. #10

    Re: Gabrieli - Surrexit Christus

    One of my favorite Gabrieli pieces -- and a highly effective
    arrangement of it, I must say, Gary, Well done!

    Per Gary Shannon's comment, it's generally a good idea to record
    initially somewhat low of maximum, and keep the .wav down
    a good half or one db at peaks.

    This, of course, goes entirely contrary to habits old tape guys
    like us have, where signal-to-noise ratio was a chronic and
    overriding concern -- obviously not quite so much of a consideration
    these days with the whole she-bang digital.

    After I make the .mp3, if necessary, I'll tweak it upscale a bit.

    My best,



    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •