• Register
  • Help

Topic: wind instruments are 3 instruments in 1

Share/Bookmark

wind instruments are 3 instruments in 1

Dear All,

Professor Belkin says "each wind instrument is really three instruments in one: low, medium, and high!" I call this the 3 in 1 rule.

This is a very powerful statement and I am sure it is very important fact for writing for woodwinds.

But how am i going to apply this 3in1 rule?
    Chekad Sarami
    Math Professor

Re: wind instruments are 3 instruments in 1

Quote Originally Posted by chikitin
    Dear All,

Professor Belkin says "each wind instrument is really three instruments in one: low, medium, and high!" I call this the 3 in 1 rule.

This is a very powerful statement and I am sure it is very important fact for writing for woodwinds.

But how am i going to apply this 3in1 rule?
    Hi...each WW has distinct sound and blend characteristics in each register...you can find them in any good orchestration text and hear them in action in well-written pieces.

There are at least two consequences to this "3-in-1" state of affairs:

1. What the instrument sounds like ALONE...clarinet in chalumeau (low) register sounds quite rich and dark, whereas the upper register can be quite piercing, for ex.

2. How the instrument COMBINES with other WW or non-WW in each register...Both oboe and flute, for ex., can play middle C, but the flute's middle C is not powerful & may get lost in context, whereas the oboe's middle C might blend well or even dominate in the same context.

That's a quick & dirty explanation...this knowledge is essential for users of sampled instruments, since we must avoid a temptation to simply "turn up" the flute's middle C to match its context--often a context in which it would normally be covered up or an inappropriate context. While samples are wonderful for us to hear our efforts, we need to use the samples responsibly. You realize this; many "samplists" don't.

If you don't have an orchestration text, you might find it worthwhile to acquire one. Since I lean towards lighter fare, I originally bought Henry Mancini's book...he seemed to know what he was doing, especially with the WW

Since I am a brass player and hang out with other brass players, and play in brass ensembles, I have a workman's knowledge of brass ranges & blending, but I had to seek it out for other families. Since I am married for some time, however, the process of chatting up young string or WW players and asking them about their instruments lamentably ceased long ago.

When I retire, I plan to attend music school to formalize the education I got by staring at pianists' hands during their solos after mine ended and looking at everyone else's scores...Gee--I thought tenure was supposed to take some of the tension off--I get busier every year even with no publishing requirement.

Hope this helps! Have you downloaded Dr. Belkin's printed material? Quite helpful, it is!

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    1. What the instrument sounds like ALONE...clarinet in chalumeau (low) register sounds quite rich and dark, whereas the upper register can be quite piercing, for ex.

2. How the instrument COMBINES with other WW or non-WW in each register...Both oboe and flute, for ex., can play middle C, but the flute's middle C is not powerful & may get lost in context, whereas the oboe's middle C might blend well or even dominate in the same context.

Jim
    Thanks Jim. It's not clear to me what It means. As far as book, I am using The Technique of Orchestration by Kent Kennan. It is a pretty good book. I am planning to read Prof. Belkin's, hopefully very soon. I am in another world now!!
    Chekad Sarami
    Math Professor

Hi Chikitin,

i'm going to get that book by Kent Kennan, i have heard it is very good.

Here is the link to Professor Belkin
    http://www.musique.umontreal.ca/pers...n/e.index.html

and if you click the tab that says "Writing" it gives you this page where can download his great tutorials:
    http://www.musique.umontreal.ca/pers...ritingNAV.html

Cheers
    David

Go Back to forum