• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to switch beteween multiple VIs in a LIVE context

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy How to switch beteween multiple VIs in a LIVE context

Sorry - this is a basic one but it's beyond me at the moment.

I plan to use a Yamaha CP33 to control a laptop running a number of different virtual instruments (Galaxy II, NI FM8, QL Gypsy) in my live band.

The Yamaha CP33 has a number of voice buttons for its internal sounds (Piano, Electric Piano, Strings etc), which when pressed appear to send Program Change (but not MIDI transmit channel) messages.

I want to switch between virtual intruments on the laptop by pressing just one key (e.g. the 'Electric Piano' key for NI FM8) on the CP33.

Ideally, the voice buttons would change MIDI transmit channel and each of the virtual instruments would have a distinct MIDI channel assignment.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
    Stephen.

Re: How to switch beteween multiple VIs in a LIVE context

Look into Forte' VST host from Brainspawn. www.brainspawn.com

Ernie

Also a good choice for mixing GVI and K2 engines 4 gigging Plogue Bidule.

Just the meat and potatoes please.
    JimmyV

Thanks Ernie and scope4live for replying.

Brainspawn looks good although it seems a little on the pricey side for what I need. It appears to have some very neat 'live oriented' feature, which I'll test in the demo.

Bidule's free demo has sadly expired but it's priced more reasonably. If Brainspawn doesn't work out, I'll give it a go.

Thanks again,
    Stephen

I'm now using Brainspawn Forte and have successfully managed to configure program change buttons on my keyboard to change 'Presets' within a single VSTi.

However, I'm having trouble getting program change buttons to switch between different presets in different instruments.

If I want say, a Galaxy II piano on Program Change 1 and an FM8 EP on Program Change 2, do I have to add two Program Changes on each instrument, one with the appropriate sound and the other set to 'disabled'? I can't see how to do this in Kontakt if I do.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated,
    Steve

Lightbulb Re: How to switch beteween multiple VIs in a LIVE context

I use Forte a lot and use your original approach of having each VSTi on its own midi channel, but this al depends on the flexibility of your master keyboard.

Did you try the Master mode of the CP33 already? Here you should be able to assign different midi channels to the keyboard, including a lot of additional settings, such as splits, layers, controller changes and program changes. You can store these settings under the voice buttons and very quickly change between them using the same buttons, as long as you stay in Master mode.

I think that it is also possible to do it the way you want. If I remember correctly the solution is in creating different "Scenes" in Forte, between which you can switch using program changes. I've never used this feature so I guess you have to dig into the manual.

Hope this is of any help...

Rob

Forte' is the kind of program where you plan on making multiple passes at setting up your system, to say the least. The nice thing is you don't have to edit anything on the controller keyboard. Quite a blessing for me since I was dealing with a pain-to-program AX-7.

I set up scene's for each program change with the appropriate instrument enabled and the rest disabled.

Just to get you started, and please don't consider this definitive because I had to get my system up and running and haven't messed with Forte' since:

Load up all the synths you plan on using. Then create a mess of null scenes for all the different patch numbers with either a default or no instrument enabled. Then edit and rename each scene to the instrument you want to use for that patch change. Be aware that all patch selects higher than the highest scene created will use the highest scene. Make it an unobtrusive one .

I don't have time to look into them today but there were also settings that kept the VI from being reloaded every time you came back to the scene. If you don't get them straight you'll be twiddling your thumbs. If you have a problem figuring them out, let me know and I'll wire up my VI PC so I can look for them.

My VI-PC was set to boot into Forte' so it came up as an instrument - no keyboard or monitor attached but keep one of each around just in case - I even mounted audio & midi jacks to the back of the PC case. The M-Audio 2496 connectors weren't designed for gigging.

Ernie

I just bought Forte.

It will replace Bidule as soon as I master it, and it's stability becomes evident.

I especially like a panic button on a pedal switch.

So many great things about Forte.

I will post my sucess / failures w/ it here soon.

So far it's quite impressive, and very reasonably priced.

Since I pull alot of doubles performing, I consider this price a half day's pay. It's well worth it.

If you find it unecessary, Bidule is a great app, w/o all of the extra bells and whistles.

As long as I can keep adding quality VSTi's to my arsenal, and have stabilty,....price becomes secondary.

JimmyV

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I took delivery of my Yamaha CP33 yesterday and things are going very well with my Galaxy II Piano VI. I'll most likely purchase Forte this week and get the Program Change thing working.

Happy playing!

Steve

Go Back to forum