• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Festi-Fall, an orchestral work

Share/Bookmark

Festi-Fall, an orchestral work

Here is my first orchestral work (made with Sibelius 4 and Garritan Finale version)...
    Please, comments!

>> http://users.skynet.be/bemboomd/cedric/fallatdusk.mp3

What can I improve?
    Some tips?

PS: At about 1'10" starts the fun part!

Re: Festi-Fall, an orchestral work

A warm welcome aboard, Cedric!

There's some fine writing in this; fine, indeed! -- but I hear you
    struggling to get control over some of your resources.

First tip:

The dynamic relationship between the first (quiet) and second
    (louder) part, to me, is way off. That whole first segment is
    so far down it seems almost timid -- and though the writing is
    gentle and thoughtful, timid it is not. I'd suggest bringing that
    whole first section up a bit, so there's not quite so much of a
    whopping volumetric shock when you roll to the allegretto.

Second tip:

Reverb! This is very dry. I downloaded this, and slapped a
    quick coat of sound treatment on it (just some Ambience) --
    and you would be utterly amazed at how this whole piece
    jumps from the speakers at you and comes vibrantly alive.

Hope that helps a little!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Cedric,

Welcome! You have some great ideas here and have spent time developing them. This is really fun music.

I agree with David as far as dynamics go. Plus the reverb will give it a much better presence. Just enough though, never too much to loose the clarity or fast passages.

Thanks for sharing this with the forum.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

This is fantastically written and orchestrated ! I agree with David 100%, it NEEDS some more reverb. I could also suggest that you explore the legato feature more. GPO has one of the most wonderful legato features around, simple and very effective. Those delightful runs will sound beautiful with some more legato. I thoroughly enjoyed your exciting piece. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Cedric, what others mentioned I must confirm. But the whole is a very nice piece of music, joyful and well done. In fact it too short.

Raymond

Hi, cedricdb

Congratulations on several accounts - On writing your first orchestral work, on composing something which is so exciting to listen to, and on getting your first post up here in The Listening Room!

There's a very original voice heard in this brief, energetic piece. I love the rhythms, and the sophisticated layering in your orchestration. Impressive! The results are sparkling and original.

Surely you're just getting started - you plan on this being the opening of a larger work?

Good technical notes are already on this thread. I read them first, and was prepared for the recording to be even drier than it actually is - It could use more reverb, more evenly distributed, but at least it's not Sahara dry as we sometimes hear.

It's a very tricky business, juggling all the components of orchestral music which is realized via computer - musical and technical considerations in proliferation. It's wonderful to hear the results of the marvelous start you have on corralling all the elements.

Thanks for letting us hear!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Cedric:

Yes, a fine piece indeed; however, the tips that David
    proffered would greatly enhance playback.

Good writing and orchestrating.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Welcome to the forum! What a beautiful piece you have here, I loved the bright and exciting orchestration, especially of that second part. You have very beautiful melodies throughout the piece; it is hard to resist listening through this piece quite a few times!

I must agree with David about reverb and with Louis about legato; with some more time spent on these digital aspects of the audio, your wonderful composition would sound even more "alive", but this already shows you can do some wonderful things with GPO!

I look forward to more of your work, great job!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Firstly - Welcome aboard!
    Although this is your first orchestral piece I'm sure this is not your first composition. Well Done! You definitely have a good sense of what you are doing.

I would agree with the others on the technical items and also say that I found the triangle(?) too high in the mix as it was getting hard on the ears.

Thanks for posting - Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Firstly - Welcome aboard!
    Although this is your first orchestral piece I'm sure this is not your first composition. Well Done! You definitely have a good sense of what you are doing.

I would agree with the others on the technical items and also say that I found the triangle(?) too high in the mix as it was getting hard on the ears. (in the last third of the piece when there is a lot of fast playing)

Can't wait for your next offering!

Thanks for posting - Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast