• Register
  • Help

Topic: Comments please

Share/Bookmark

Wink Comments please

I have been still plucking along trying to advance with my music. All comments are truly welcomed on this piece. The sound? The compostion itself? What can I change? Trash me if you must, its the only way I will learn. Its called the rapture..All done with the beautiful KH Concert strings. Hope its not a insult to Kirk...Thanks, Joseph...
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=567000

Re: Comments please

I come from a fairly structured background composing mainly orchestral stuff for background documentaries.

I thought the idea was good and the passage is nice but I would have made the main string line more realistic and classical sounding.
    It sounded too synthy for me but if that's what you were looking for, fine.
    Perhaps I can just picture the piece meant to be more classical in overall tone, doesn't mean it would sound better.

Without knowing your objectives with this piece it's hard to critique.

Nice job though

Hi Joeseph,

I like the post-romantic harmonic palette you use - it seems to be a strong point in your compositional imagination. It strongly suggests something filmic to me - or accompanying visuals of some sort. Porbably due to associations with some visual music conventions like the long bass pedals/drones.

I think you could extract a lot more emotional impact from this lush string arrangement by paying closer attention to dynamics. Sometimes I hear it a little too loud (for the filmic kind of conventions - but i could be wrong about your intentions). Some more dynamic variation over the duration of long notes, you know, just shape it a bit more and your very interesting musical thoughts will come more alive.

Thats as much about getting your hands/head around the technology as much as anything else of course - but if you spend nearly as much time on the performance as on the composition, it'll pay you good dividends.

A last thing - can i suggest that you listen to it through differnet monitors/speakers than youre used to? That may help hightlight the difference for you, between the rendering as you hear it in your head - and how it is actually coming out.

Look forward to hearing more later on!

Very late romantic indeed. I find the work needs to develop since it really doesn't go anywhere. However, it does invoke emotion. I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Chalfant
    I come from a fairly structured background composing mainly orchestral stuff for background documentaries.

I thought the idea was good and the passage is nice but I would have made the main string line more realistic and classical sounding.
    It sounded too synthy for me but if that's what you were looking for, fine.
    Perhaps I can just picture the piece meant to be more classical in overall tone, doesn't mean it would sound better.

Without knowing your objectives with this piece it's hard to critique.

Nice job though
    I will work on the string lines again. I thank you for your comments, and the time to listen. Some times its hard to put my music up without some visual to look out. I will work on that also in the future..Again Thanks, Joseph..

Quote Originally Posted by Gesticulator01
    Hi Joeseph,

I like the post-romantic harmonic palette you use - it seems to be a strong point in your compositional imagination. It strongly suggests something filmic to me - or accompanying visuals of some sort. Porbably due to associations with some visual music conventions like the long bass pedals/drones.

I think you could extract a lot more emotional impact from this lush string arrangement by paying closer attention to dynamics. Sometimes I hear it a little too loud (for the filmic kind of conventions - but i could be wrong about your intentions). Some more dynamic variation over the duration of long notes, you know, just shape it a bit more and your very interesting musical thoughts will come more alive.

Thats as much about getting your hands/head around the technology as much as anything else of course - but if you spend nearly as much time on the performance as on the composition, it'll pay you good dividends.

A last thing - can i suggest that you listen to it through differnet monitors/speakers than youre used to? That may help hightlight the difference for you, between the rendering as you hear it in your head - and how it is actually coming out.

Look forward to hearing more later on!
    Wonderful comments..So true on listening through it what I am now. Makes complete sense now..After playing over again on different systems I hear alot I can change. In the next few weeks I will change much of it..Again, many thanks for the the comments and the time..Joseph..

Quote Originally Posted by Jaibulu
    Very late romantic indeed. I find the work needs to develop since it really doesn't go anywhere. However, it does invoke emotion. I like it!
    I am glad you liked it. Most of my work is just thoughts when I write. As I said on my other reply, it would be nice to put my music to a video or sorts. Might see where I am coming from. I had some excellent comments here today. Still going to continue on. Thanks a bunch..Joseph...

Go Back to forum