• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Permutative Extension of Information does not Abnegate its Essential Taxonomy

Share/Bookmark

Permutative Extension of Information does not Abnegate its Essential Taxonomy

On today's chat we were discussing a video on the information revolution/evolution.

Here is a brilliant presentation of this phenomena:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4CV05HyAbM

Quite a paradigm shift. And with it there is so much information to keep track of and sort out.

We have gone from papers in files folders to computer-based data in a short span of time. Keeping track of all this information can be daunting.

How do you keep your information organized?

Gary Garritan

Permutative extension of information does not abnegate its essential taxonomy - Master Chef etLux

Re: Permutative Extension of Information does not Abnegate its Essential Taxonomy

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    . . .

Gary Garritan

Permutative extension of information does not abnegate its essential taxonomy - Master Chef etLux
    The same way as with a file cabinet. I carefully categorize and make folders and file everything away very carefully. Then I forget what the categories and labels mean!

Richard

Re: Permutative Extension of Information does not Abnegate its Essential Taxonomy

Organized?
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Sounds like it was interesting discussion Gary.

I was looking for that thread you posted once that had the video from the fifties or earlier that was about planning the future of America. I was struck by how that forethought and long term planning seem to be absent today, but we need to somehow get back to that forward vision. Back then we were planning the future and now the future has hit us in the face and blowing past us.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan

It`s all in my head, but mostly I can`t find the way to get the right informations later....

Hmmm, there was some, hm, where was it, ähmmmn....

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    Sounds like it was interesting discussion Gary.

I was looking for that thread you posted once that had the video from the fifties or earlier that was about planning the future of America. I was struck by how that forethought and long term planning seem to be absent today, but we need to somehow get back to that forward vision. Back then we were planning the future and now the future has hit us in the face and blowing past us.
    Leaf,

Good memory you have! No problem with you organizing your thoughts.

The video previously posted was from the 1939 World's Fair. And it is interesting what the visionaries predicted long ago that became reality.

Here's a YouTube video of GM Futurama http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74cO9...kblog%2Ecom%2F
    And here's Part II: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU7dT...elated&search=

Long term planning does seem to be waning today. One only has to look at the paths the US and Brazil took regarding energy. Previously, when there was a common vision we did amazing things (like put a man on the moon).

I wonder if the glut of information is obscuring our long range vision. We can still do amazing things if we put our minds to it and work together.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist

It`s all in my head, but mostly I can`t find the way to get the right informations later....

Hmmm, there was some, hm, where was it, ähmmmn....

Gunther

Talking Re: Permutative Extension of Information does not Abnegate its Essential Taxonomy

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Did I really say that?

I wonder what the hell it means...

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David Weinberger's "Everything is Miscellaneous" is one of the premises on which this video is based. Weinberger advances the idea that "historically, we've divided the world into categories, topics, and hierarchies because physical objects need to be in one place or another, they can't be in all the places they might belong. Computers and the Internet turn this on its head: because a computer can "put things" in as many categories as they need to be in, because individuals can classify knowledge, tasks, and objects idiosyncratically, the hierarchy is revealed for what it always was, a convenient expedient masquerading as the True Shape of the Universe."

"It's a powerful idea: from org charts to science, from music to retail theory, from government to education, every field of human endeavor is tinged with hierarchy, and every hierarchy is under assault from the Internet."

With the Internet, traditional notions of organization, subject and heirarchy are being redefined and reordered. What appears to be messiness may be a whole new way of making sense. Does that make sense?

----

Go Back to forum