• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: JOY TO THE WORLD-Brass ensemble

Share/Bookmark

JOY TO THE WORLD-Brass ensemble

Arranged for 3 each-Trumpet; horn; trombone, plus Euphonium & tuba.

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5895572&q=hi

Here' a revision with some change...
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5895572&q=hi

Re: JOY TO THE WORLD-Brass ensemble

Hey Gary,
    A very wonderful brass arrangement of a timeless melody. Thanks for lifting my spirit!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Hi, Gary

It's a very nice arrangement indeed, with fun surprises sprinkled throughout, like the unexpected jazz ending.

I still look forward to when a Finale user straightens out the reverb problem for you once and for all. This is completley devoid of reverb again, and my biggest frustration is that I know how happily surprised you'd be to hear your music with the realistic touch of reverb added. The difference would be like the proverbial night and day.

I remember you said you have knobs turned up all the way - clearly they are the wrong knobs. - And it's too bad the screen shot couldn't be generated so we could just see what the errors are.

You do such interesting work - And one of these days the technical problems will be smoothed out so it sounds even better.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Gary:
    Interesting arrangement, very idiomatic scoring with lots of variety but I question the "jazzy" ending as being a little too out of character with the rest of chart. As in painting, a color should never be used just once (my pendanticsm rears it's ugly head.)
    If you did this with FINALE, I share your pain in trying to achieve all of the nuances of which squencers seem to do so easily. If you learn any new tricks, I will certainly appreciate your sharing them, as I will do if you are open to them.

sos

Thanks for listening, Michael. Arranging a good Carol is like takking pictures of ctue babies--always a winner.

Thanks for continuing to listen Randy. One problem in getting it right is that
    playback-even when recording-seems to be full. Once it's on line, it's more detectable.

Thanks for listening sos. FINALE is a live, constant threat to SANITY. When
    I first started using Finale in 1991, there was no help in my area. No NET was available to me at the time. I wandered in the "desert" of ignorance
    for four or five years before Finale reps started showing up at TX MUSIC EDUCATORS Conventions. Since that time, most problems have been solved. I haven't been to a Convention where the playback issues of the new Kontact have been described. Maybe that will happen this Feb at TMEA.
    I agree with the remoteness of the ending. My Comp teacher would say that I haven't earned the right to use that figure.
    Gary

Nice brass writing in this, Gary; liked it a great deal.

I'd have to agree with your comment about "earning the right"
    to use a certain particularly conspicuous figure right at the
    tail, of course. One of the elements of writing well is maintaining
    a certain consistency in vocabulary, and preparing the listener
    - foreshadowing, in a way - for a move of that kind.

My continued hope that you can hammer out that reverb
    problem!

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks for listening, David.
    I'm going to tinker with the sound and alter a few sections and re-post.
    Gary

GAry
    I liked your interpertation of this melody...........and like everyone else a little reverb would go a long way.........and Like I should talk........that darn thing frustrates the He.........out of me......but oh well....that is why they included it!!!!!!!

Cliff
    three year old E machine
    GPO Sibelius Edition (now Liberated!)
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    2 Classic Guitar Degrees (or so I was informed)
    Not a lick of sense!

Gary,

Very nice arrangement and production. Interesting and effective brass mix.

I am not sure that Finale is the problem per se. You are using the MAC version if I understand correctly? I have heard that the Ambience works differently, maybe that is the issue. Maybe there are interface issues with it. Perhaps using an external reverb processor would help you out. At least in this production the sound levels were stable and produced good results.

thanks for sharing it with the forum.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Thanks for listening, Clif. See what you think about my revision. I reved up the dials over 50 for all of the instruments (K-2).

Gary, it's my understanding that ambience is no longer available for Mac Intels. It's kinda of like Ford Motor Company no longer furnishing some vital
    part in one of their cars....
    Gary

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast