• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Static, interference, distortion, etc.

Share/Bookmark

Static, interference, distortion, etc.

I've asked this before but here I go again. I use FINALE, a Mac G5 with 12 GB RAM but whenever I try to play a jazz chart using only GJBB Notation instruments, all I hear is "static, interference, distortion, etc." It seems especially bad when I use any drum kits.
    I've tried turning the recording level as low as possible--no good.
    I've tried using zero reverb--no good.
    I've tried turning off my speakers and use only Bose headphones--no good.
    Any help with this will most gratefully appreciated.

sos

Re: Static, interference, distortion, etc.

i'm sorry that i have no advice, but 12 GB OF RAM!?!?!?! wow. i'm just curious why you need all of it. my macbook pro has 2 GB, and now it feels like a macbook junior.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

I am a PC user, not a MAC user but what you describe sounds like a latency problem, or a soundcard problem. How much hard disk space do you have and when is the last time you 'cleaned house' (defragment is the PC term)? Sound issues are usually related to the sound card. What kind of soundcard are you using? Check and see if you can adjust the latency or the amount of memory allocated to the sound card. Are you sing ASIO drivers? That would be a plus! I know I haven't offered much help, but maybe it will get you looking in the right place for answers.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Keithj & wrayer:
    Thanks for responding.
    Keith, to answer you, I have 12 GB of RAM because I was told upon purchasing the Garritan programs to make sure I had plenty of RAM. I am retired and have nothing else with to do with my money but spend it, and a local Mac technician made me an offer on the price that I couldn't refuse. In spite of my capcacity, I still get a warning sign about running low on memory while loading 5 saxes, 5 trpts, 5 trmbs and 4 rhythm. ??????????????????
    wrayer: I did not grow up with computers so a lot of the 'computereze' still is unfamiliar to me. I can use Finale to arrange but I can also drive a car but ask me to discuss an internal combustion engine.
    I have a Dual 2.3 GHz HD, capacity 232.76 GB, with 194.13 GB available.
    I use the Built In Sound Card. Do I need another one or something else?
    What is an ASIO?
    As you can see, I need help!
    sos

Quote Originally Posted by sosmus
    I am retired and have nothing else ... to do with my money but spend it...
    I'm sure we'd all be more than happy to help you with that problem... rofl.

Steve, I'm not a Mac guy. But if it were me, I think the first thing I'd do
    is yank the sound card, clean all the connections (a pencil eraser is good),
    and stuff it back in, check the seating of all cards, etc.

Sometimes... it's something that simple.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

if i were you i'd call gary and ask him. thats what i did when i had a problem with the gofriller shutting down Logic everytime i loaded one or more. he figured it was a kontakt bug, and sure enough when the update came out it was fixed. the number is on the manual somewhere. just call and let him know the problem, that way he'll point you in the right direction. you have to figure that no one knows the software better than him or the people that work there.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

I have no advice other than to investigate the soundcard. Ive just bought a macbook pro and the internal soundcard in that is rubbish. Creates a terrible high pitched distortion and R2D2 noises out of the headphone jack.. I cant wait to save enough to get an external soundcard, and you might want to consider the same.... 12GB OF RAM?!?!?! wow...Ive got 4 and thought i was flying....

Sorry not much help really, I just wanted to register my amazement at you copious amounts of ram!

BEn

etLux, Keithj and ben:
    thanks for your support asnd suggestions.
    etLux: I called the local Mac guru and he informed me that the sound card is built in, therefore cannot be taken out to be cleaned. At his recommendation I open up the computer and gave it a compressed gas cleaning, to no avail.
    Keithj: I'm going to keep working to solve this problem, reserving calling Gary to be my absolute last resort.
    Ben: I like your suggestion about an external sound card. Do you have any recommendations as to make, model, brand, et.al.
    Several people have suggested increasing the "latency count." How and where do I do that?
    I have no problem whatsover with GPO and KP2.
    Still at sea and pondering--
    sos

Steve,

In my not so humble opinion, all built-in computer soundcards suck big-time. They are not meant for serious music production.

I would Google "computer soundcards" and check out what might possibly suit your needs.

Larry

Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I'm pretty sure you simply need to set the preferences for your audio card properly to correct your problem. Probably it has to do with the latency. If it is presently a low number like 4 msec, try increasing it to 6 or 8 msec. Or even higher, and see if it goes away.

You probably already know this, but in case you don't, let me mention that the only time that a lower latency is meaningfully useful to you is when you are playing an instrument - the time delay (latency) can drive some people nuts if it is too high.

Trond

Go Back to forum