• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Serenity Finished

Share/Bookmark

Arrow Serenity Finished

This is the finished product of "Serenity". A short 3 minutes production. I hope you enjoy it. Took me two weeks to finish, but it's finally done.

Thanks to al those who followed it from the beginning.

http://www.box.net/shared/otk17zevg4

Sibelius 4 (notation)
    Audacity for recording
    GPO Sib. ed.
    Piccolo
    Flute
    Oboe
    Horns
    Percussion
    Harp 1, 2
    Strings
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Re: Serenity Finished

At the end I see horses galloping across the highlands! Very evocative and cinematic. I like it a lot. Oboe and harp makes a very effective combination.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Tuba

I really loved your Serenity............I was just what I needed to hear after a very stressful day......I hope that you do not mind that I downloaded it to my mp3 player........If you do I will take it off...but it is very beautiful.

The only......ONLY critique I have is the harp....it is very much guitar like in its composition and style of playing......one technique of playing guitar is you have a choice of either ROLLING your chords or BLOCKING them (playing them all the notes together at one time). All your harp chords are rolled......which can lose it dramatic feel over a period of time.....so try mixing it up next time .....block most of the time and then roll for effect.......But your sound is incredable..... I loved your brass and the way they are phrased with the thematic material.......
    I do have a question for you about Sibelius..........I have the same version as you..........how do you get your written notation not be so strict.....or do you do that work in your DAW?

any way............Nice job there

Cliff
    three year old E machine
    GPO Sibelius Edition (now Liberated!)
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    2 Classic Guitar Degrees (or so I was informed)
    Not a lick of sense!

I must say I did not get into this until part way in. i was having trouble with the harp. These plucked/strummed instruments are hard to make real but don't give up - a sampled harp is easier than a sampled guitar I think.

But... The rest I really liked and I was glad I stopped by to listen. Nice transitions and overall feel. Good Work!

Thanks for posting - Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

tubamajor,

Very nice work, nice variety of musical emotions expressed throughout. I found the harp very much to my liking, a matter of personal taste. Interesting selection of instruments to get you there. Thanks for sharing it here.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Hi Benjamin,

Great job on this.

My toes were tapping. I also tend to agree a bit with the harp, but I really LOVE the subtle resolution at the end of each phrase with the bass reinforced.

Thanks for sharing.

Trucker --- In regards to downloading it, it would be an honor if you truly enjoyed it so much for you to carry it around with you! Also, I agree with you completely. I felt scetchy because I felt like I was over doing the harp rolls. I suppose it wasn't just me that thought that. I'm going to go through it tonight and see where the rolls arent as neccesary.

To not get the strict playing of Sibelius, I recorded each individual section, (E.g. Serenity Woodwinds.wav; Serenity Percussion.wav; etc.), and then in Audacity, my DAW, I imported all the audios. They stacked correctly automatically because Sibelius records them each the same length of time. Afterwards, in the DAW, I went through it, deciding on fades, bass amplifying, decibel decrease/increase, etc.

Hope that helps!

To everyone else--- Very glad indeed that you enjoyed it!!! It was my pleasure to bring it to you!!!

------ In a more personal critique, are the horns too much of a suprise? And also is the end not loud enough.

I thought maybe the minor section of 8 measures in the middle setup a good minor ending section...

Also is the end too quite?
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster

My demos:

I haven't followed this since the beginning... I just discovered it. What an amazing piece! Beautiful orchestration, especially that pulsating rhythm that starts at 1:40, it is dance-like, exciting, intriguing, and captivating.

As for the ending, I think it comes too soon... I'd love to hear more of that energetic second half, it runs away too soon like vacation time. Those horns sound great, they just don't stay for long enough. And maybe more of a return of those beautiful melodies from the first half. The piece as a whole could probably be doubled in length... that's a compliment because what you have here is so beautiful, 3 minutes is just not enough!

Amazing work!! Bravo! I love this!

Wonderful rendering as well!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    I haven't followed this since the beginning... I just discovered it. What an amazing piece! Beautiful orchestration, especially that pulsating rhythm that starts at 1:40, it is dance-like, exciting, intriguing, and captivating.

As for the ending, I think it comes too soon... I'd love to hear more of that energetic second half, it runs away too soon like vacation time. Those horns sound great, they just don't stay for long enough. And maybe more of a return of those beautiful melodies from the first half. The piece as a whole could probably be doubled in length... that's a compliment because what you have here is so beautiful, 3 minutes is just not enough!

Amazing work!! Bravo! I love this!

Wonderful rendering as well!

I will in the future, not for a while however, (because of midterms), divulge in lengthening the horn line. The Irish dancing section is already long enough...at least to me

Thanks for such kind words, it's greatly appreciated.
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster

My demos:

Tuba
    Thank you for the permission.....Yeh I would like that ...........I need to ask the composers here this more often because I find I love listenint to all the ideas everyone has here.........

as far as the rolled chords go...I would not DELETE anything from that part.....just tweak it, by using some blocked chords here, some rolled chords there.because I think that if you delete from the part the composition as a whole will suffer..........ok enough of my 2 cents.......I still love your work

thanks for the information about how you do your Sibelius parts.........I will have to try that...........I will let you know.................

Thank you
    Cliff
    three year old E machine
    GPO Sibelius Edition (now Liberated!)
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    2 Classic Guitar Degrees (or so I was informed)
    Not a lick of sense!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast