• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Atmosphere or Melodyne cre8 - Which way to San Jose?

Share/Bookmark

Atmosphere or Melodyne cre8 - Which way to San Jose?

OK, I know this is a left brain right brain sort of problem.
    And it's also another either/or and not an if/and kind of question.
    For those of you song writers out there,
    which of these products is more important to your studio and why?
    This is an apples to apples comparison for me because if I could afford both
    I wouldn't even be asking this question.
    Thx once again.
    ciao, Dan

Re: Atmosphere or Melodyne cre8 - Which way to San Jose?

Well, it kinda depends on how you write and what you need. Do you already have a wealth of synth/pad/lead sources? Do you record a lot of vocals that are not very accurate or tight? If you do a lot of layering of vocals and you - or your vocalist - are less than proficient at singing in tume, or in time, than Melodyne is for you.

BUt...if you are simply looking for something to fatten up your sound, than....well you guessed it

Melodyne, hands down! The ability to drag around notes to create entirely new melodic lines is AMAZING! It makes the music creation process less restrictive and way more inspiring. Of course there are patches in atmosphere that are inspiring, but for the song writer, the most important part is the vocal. Melodyne is the only tool I know (next to perhaps some vocal units like the TC helicon) that can basically turn any audio track into a MIDI track, allowing you to try out an endless amount of variety and changes to vocals without having to re-record a single note! VERY COOL!!

BTW, you can demo any melodyne product from their website: http://www.celemony.com/

This program is tops my list for sure!!

While I wholeheartedly share JT3_Jon's enthusiasm for Melodyne, this isn't an apples to apples question.

It's like going into Home Depot and asking, "Do I buy this Spade garden shovel, or this 2 inch crown moulding?"

Each one, has a completely different function and purpose.

I know you know this... just trying to uncover what it is you need more of...

a garden tool, or an architectural accent?

Quote Originally Posted by mattdean
    …………. Do you already have a wealth of synth/pad/lead sources? Do you record a lot of vocals that are not very accurate or tight? …………….
    Hi mattdean,
    I do not have a wealth of synth/pad/lead sources but I record a lot of vocals that are not very accurate or tight. My own.
    Left Brain – 1 Right Brain – 0

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    Melodyne, hands down! The ability to drag around notes to create entirely new melodic lines is AMAZING! It makes the music creation process less restrictive and way more inspiring. ………. Melodyne is the only tool I know (next to perhaps some vocal units like the TC helicon) that can basically turn any audio track into a MIDI track, allowing you to try out an endless amount of variety and changes to vocals without having to re-record a single note! VERY COOL!!
    ……………………………….This program is tops my list for sure!!
    JT3_Jon,
    Yes, I watched the video demo of Melodyne and thought about all of those melodies that I had in my head but couldn’t reach with my own voice.
    Does it really sound authentic enough when you transpose up 1 octave or perhaps a little more?
    Left Brain – 2 Right Brain – 0

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimo
    While I wholeheartedly share JT3_Jon's enthusiasm for Melodyne, this isn't an apples to apples question.……………………………………………
    Each one, has a completely different function and purpose.
    I know you know this... just trying to uncover what it is you need more of...
    Hi Jaimo,
    “…for me” it is an apples to apples question.
    Hmm. I asked me that first. I’m trying to find out how you folks are using these products (in real mode) in hopes that it will sway my final decision.
    Left Brain – 3 Right Brain - 1
    Thx for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyDep
    Hi mattdean,
    I do not have a wealth of synth/pad/lead sources but I record a lot of vocals that are not very accurate or tight. My own.
    Again... shovel or crown moulding...

I know, I know, a lot of help that does...

Atmosphere... I use this a lot. Anytime pads, lead sounds, atmospheric textures, synths, etc... are needed, needed fast, and need to sound like I put a lot of thought into the sound. Many, many, many of the presets will spur the creative muse...

Melodyne... I also use this alot. In my case, it's to tighten up lead and backing vocals. Most of the time, I can use it sparingly, but it has often times saved an artist from revealing their true abilities, or lack thereof.

I have also used it to create doubled lead vocal tracks, that sound authentic, as well as create 2 and 3 part harmonies out of a single melody, long after the singer has left the studio.

I have also used it to change melodies slightly, or to change an ad lib from sounding like Ashlee Simpson, to something Aretha Franklin would have sung. (o.k. that's a bit of a stretch... )

I also use it to time compress/stretch multi-tracked drums, to different tempos, while leaving the phase between drum tracks totally in tact.

So, at least as far as how I use these things... Atmosphere is my crown molding, and Melodyne is my garden shovel...

Jaimo hit it on the head! Go to Home Depot and buy the crown moulding and the spade shovel. Use the shovel to dig for buried treasure. After you find some build a huge mansion and top it off with your crown moulding. (if you havn't had to eat the moulding to stay alive when you were searching for pirate booty) Use any left over money to pay Hans Zimmer and John Williams to write your music for you while you are fanned with palm leaves by a dozen hotties. It's almost too simple...

D
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimo
    ………….
    Melodyne... I also use this alot. In my case, it's to tighten up lead and backing vocals. ………….I have also used it to create doubled lead vocal tracks, that sound authentic, as well as create 2 and 3 part harmonies out of a single melody, …………………
    I have also used it to change melodies slightly, ……………..
    I also use it to time compress/stretch multi-tracked drums, to different tempos, while leaving the phase between drum tracks totally in tact.
    Hey Jaimo,
    Which Melodyne product are you using, the plug-in, cre8 or studio?

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick
    ………… Go to Home Depot and buy the crown moulding and the spade shovel. Use the shovel to dig for buried treasure. After you find some build a huge mansion and top it off with your crown moulding. (if you havn't had to eat the moulding to stay alive when you were searching for pirate booty) Use any left over money to pay Hans Zimmer and John Williams to write your music for you while you are fanned with palm leaves by a dozen hotties. It's almost too simple...
    D
    Hi D,
    Brilliant. Now why didn’t I think of that? And I do love the KISS method.
    Hans who? John who? Do they live in San Jose?

Seriously guys, the reason my right brain gets excited about Atmosphere is due largely in part to the intro on Sting’s Fragile from the All This Time DVD or Live CD.
    Kipper, Sting’s producer and keyboard player on the project, said he used all three of Spectrasonics products on that project.
    But I’m not sure it is Atmosphere that is being used (hopefully in conjunction with RMX) at the very beginning of that intro.
    Can anyone confirm it is Atmosphere?
    Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyDep
    Hey Jaimo,
    Which Melodyne product are you using, the plug-in, cre8 or studio?

Hi D,
    Brilliant. Now why didn’t I think of that? And I do love the KISS method.
    Hans who? John who? Do they live in San Jose?

Seriously guys, the reason my right brain gets excited about Atmosphere is due largely in part to the intro on Sting’s Fragile from the All This Time DVD or Live CD.
    Kipper, Sting’s producer and keyboard player on the project, said he used all three of Spectrasonics products on that project.
    But I’m not sure it is Atmosphere that is being used (hopefully in conjunction with RMX) at the very beginning of that intro.
    Can anyone confirm it is Atmosphere?
    Thx.

I just had a listen on Itunes to Fragile and yes it definatley seems to be Atmosphere I am almost 100% sure that it is.

Atmosphere is my favourite synth for all sorts of reasons.

Simon
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

And now also at Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

www.myspace.com/simonfielder

NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

Quote Originally Posted by SimonF
    I just had a listen on Itunes to Fragile and yes it definatley seems to be Atmosphere I am almost 100% sure that it is.
    Atmosphere is my favourite synth for all sorts of reasons.
    Simon
    Hi Simon,
    My mistake.
    Perhaps wishful thinking on my part.
    But it was Sting's DVD "Inside The Songs Of Sacred Love" where Kipper used all of the Spectrasonics products.
    The "All This Time" project was from 2001. Atmosphere was not around then.
    But it's good to know that you feel one could emulate that sound using Atmosphere.
    ciao, Dan

Go Back to forum