• Register
  • Help

Topic: Flageolets (Strings thing)

Flageolets (Strings thing)

Anybody ever used them with GPO? How to do that?

Re: Flageolets (Strings thing)

I'm going to go out on a limb and presume you mean "sul pont."?
    As far as I know, there is no really evident nor realistic way of getting a good sul pont. effect using GPO.

The only other thing I can think is "harmonics"... which again, I have yet to find an easy-to-achieve or satisfyingly realistic substitute.

Flageolets are another name for Harmonics.

No, they're not available in GPO. I once tried faking them with the Glass Harmonica, which worked sort of OK but not great. If there were non-vibrato samples included, those would have worked better.

Natural harmonics are included in the Strad and Gofriller, but not artificial harmonics. No way to fake them there.

I'm expecting them to be in GPOA, whenever that comes out. (They were included in GOS way back when...)
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Artificial harmonics or Flageolets. Not in GPO strings. But this morning I did some experimenting and found out that with some careful equalizing and p;itch shifting the same can be almost be achieved . --- I have to do some more experiments and comparison if it is almost the same --.

Set the notes at the highest level (octave) possible in GPO.
    Assign some new tracks in Sonar where those notes go.
    Call in Audio effects and under the Cakewalk table you will find Pitch shifter.
    I set the pitch to 12 and all other sliders to zero. As artificial harmonics never are at an exact pitch, slide it down a little bit (12 is the highest value possible). Maybe with mutes and/or tremolo it may sound a little bit better.

So you see there is a lot to do, but this can be the first step to .... that damn first part of the first symphony of Mahler.

Raymond - everything mentioned is at your own risk -<hahaha>

Go Back to forum