• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Question about Finale and other notationprograms

Share/Bookmark

A Question about Finale and other notationprograms

Because I am only working with Cubase I have a question about notationprograms:

When I write notes in "pp", "p", "f" or "ff", will this programs tell this informations into a midifile by using "Keyvelocity", or how do they manage this?

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Re: A Question about Finale and other notationprograms

There are different notation programs. I know two.

Mozart: sets a value for velocity (at least the last time I looked)
    Overture: sets a value for velocity also, but puts CC#10 somewhere (as far as I've noticed). In Overture one can tell the system to play it at a certain volume and then it sets CC#1 (some switches telling the program to playback this or not to playback). I think Overture is taking into account that GPO is an instrument.

I maybe wrong, but this is what I've seen in Sonar after having imported the midi files from Overture.

Raymond

Finale allows you to set whichever velocity you wish for dynamics (pp - ff or whichever).

Finale automatically changes dynamics to the appropriate controller for volume depending on which type of instrument is playing (sustained instrument or percussive velocity-based instrument).

In Sibelius, the dynamic marking sets a C1 message, which you can determine; they come with a default number, but if you want it higher/lower, it is very easy to change. For Velocity sensitive instruments - piano, pizz strings, marimba, you have to set the velocity values - again, very easy to do.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Go Back to forum