• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT-suddenly I didn't like Mahler anymore

Share/Bookmark

OT-suddenly I didn't like Mahler anymore

Yesterday something strange happened. After a morning of hard work, partly composing, I decided to get some rest with Mahler's 6th. And you know what? After the first 10 minutes I "killed" my stereo equipment completely fed up with the chaos of harmonies, the never ending, the endless repetitions of part 1.

It never happened to me before and I wondered what this was? The composer is famous, the orchestra is the Royal Concertgebouw, the recording building was that same Concertgebouw (Amsterdam), the conductor Ricardo Chailly... but it must have been my ears, mind, mood........

Sounds familiar?

Greetings,

Raymond

Re: OT-suddenly I didn't like Mahler anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    Sounds familiar?
    Yes! I have thought the very same about Mahler before. I think its something like diet - both chocolate and whiskey are great - but you can have too much of a good thing. Especially rich things.

BTW I'm loving Mahler again.

I see nothing wrong with that.
    While appreciating who and what Mahler is, his music is rarely among my first or even second choices for listening.

However, I do get the occassional craving for a little "Resurrection".

<Clears throat and mounts his soapbox.>

As I sit near the halfway mark of the 1st movement of his 9th Symphony (Benjamin Zander and the Philharmonia Orchestra on Telarc) I can only frown in disagreement. <-- (Me frowning in disagreement? Haha)

I think the problem is you chose the wrong symphony to "relax" by - the 6th isn't called "The Relaxing", it is called "The Tragic"!!!

For relaxing Mahler you should go with 9 or 10 perhaps.

As a Mahler-file, I can never get enough. If music is the pinnacle of human expression, and the orchestra is the pinnacle of musical expression, then Mahler symphonies are the pinnacle of human creation. There is no place in my soul that a Mahler symphony cannot touch, and for that I am eternally greatful.

Mahler might be "rich", but only at times - he often has only 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 players out of 120 on stage playing at any given time, and sometimes for extended periods. His symphonies go from symphony to chamber music and back again, often multiple times. The "diet" is built in!

Not long after I began playing horn my teacher gave me a copy of the 5th symphony to borrow and told me to listen to the Scherzo movement so I could understand what sort of things could be expected of a professional horn player. The first time I heard it was overwhelming to the senses - so much noise, so many notes, so much to hear and absorb all at once... how could anyone understand this cacophony? But now listening to Mahler is like reading the Bible - each time I go over the same passage something new speaks to me, in the music or the Word. And now that same cacophonous movement of Mahler 5 is among my favorite pieces, the 5th being my favorite Mahler symphony.

Mahler is like fine dining - it takes some getting used to if you've only ever subsisted on lesser fare, but once you realize what you've been missing, you never want to go back.

"Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen" from the Ruckert leider is a great choice for relaxing Mahler, btw. My favorite of his songs. More beautiful than the Adagietto from the 5th symphony.

<Steps down from soapbox.>

Whenever that happens to me, i take the Mahler out and i put Sibelius' 7th in, and then everything is ok again.

Every now and then I get obsessed with Mahler. Recently something made me want to listen to his 10th Symphony (the Derick Cooke version) which I hadn't heard in years. From there I went to the 9th and "Das Lied Von Der Erde" and for a few weeks I wasn't listening to anything else. Then I got over it.

Strangely, even though I love early and late Mahler, his middle symphonies have never done much for me.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

After you listen to your own creations, then everything else loses interest for awhile. The interest does return, when the mood/circumstances allow.

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    Whenever that happens to me, i take the Mahler out and i put Sibelius' 7th in, and then everything is ok again.
    Haha. That would work for almost anything, would it not?

Not many composers I can think of who moved so drastically from one style to another besides Sibelius.

Has never happened!

Mahler is the King.
    Long live the King!

Björn

I'm with you. Mahler and a lot of the late romantic composers were sometimes a bit, um, excessive. Self-indulgent and melodramatic. Reminds me of Spanish Soap Operas on UniVision. A lot of it is pretty but you can't have too much at one time without it getting really old really fast.

chris.

Go Back to forum