• Register
  • Help

Topic: receipt of my new complete GPO

Share/Bookmark

Question receipt of my new complete GPO

for those that have helped me so much with my questions about mutes, gpo, finale, etc. million thanks.
    my complete gpo arrived yesterday. and i installed it with no problems to go along with my finale2008 already installed
    FIRST, thank you michel in montreál - it was just as you said. when you try a new piece, in the wizard setup, you have a choice of the synthesizer sounds, finalegpo, and the complete gpo.
    on MUTES for the horns, i picked the KS french horn, added con and senza sordino to the articulations and tested on a little 4 bar composition - and they work - that is, therre is a deffinite change in sound-whereas nothing changed using the finale2008 horns.
    now, as for the stopped horns, you guys hav e been kind enough to tell me to use the FF overlay. i tried that by itself, - it seems sharper in attack. is it correct that it should be lower in sound than would be used for the regular horns?? would one do this best by using different dynamics such as mf, or mp - or is it better to slide to the left on the studio view - or to turn down the mod wheel in kontakt2?? preferences, anyone?
    also, this advice please. overlay and KS horns are different instruments. SO, if on a PAPEr score, on my stave for horns 1 and 3, if i wanted stopped or muted sounds at different times, i would merely indicate it on the one stave what i wanted and when. but here in finale2008 - would i need a DIFFERENT stave for the muted horn KS than for the STOPPED HORN - since the kontakt2 would need both instruments , right??
    thanks milliones for all advice and suggestions

Re: receipt of my new complete GPO

Quote Originally Posted by hermanding
    for those that have helped me so much with my questions about mutes, gpo, finale, etc. million thanks. my complete gpo arrived yesterday. and i installed it with no problems to go along with my finale2008 already installed

FIRST, thank you michel in montreál - it was just as you said. when you try a new piece, in the wizard setup, you have a choice of the synthesizer sounds, finalegpo, and the complete gpo.

on MUTES for the horns, i picked the KS french horn, added con and senza sordino to the articulations and tested on a little 4 bar composition - and they work - that is, therre is a deffinite change in sound-whereas nothing changed using the finale2008 horns.

now, as for the stopped horns, you guys hav e been kind enough to tell me to use the FF overlay. i tried that by itself, - it seems sharper in attack. is it correct that it should be lower in sound than would be used for the regular horns?? would one do this best by using different dynamics such as mf, or mp - or is it better to slide to the left on the studio view - or to turn down the mod wheel in kontakt2?? preferences, anyone?

also, this advice please. overlay and KS horns are different instruments. SO, if on a PAPEr score, on my stave for horns 1 and 3, if i wanted stopped or muted sounds at different times, i would merely indicate it on the one stave what i wanted and when. but here in finale2008 - would i need a DIFFERENT stave for the muted horn KS than for the STOPPED HORN - since the kontakt2 would need both instruments , right??

thanks milliones for all advice and suggestions
    Notice how much easier to read your post is, after i applied spacing.

Congrats on getting GPO, Herman! GPO rocks! Your going to love it.

I think the answer to the last question is yes, for playback, it is best to have each instrument on a different stave, and when adding the overlays, give them a different stave too, but with the same notes as the horn part they are supporting.

The answer to the first question i don't know, i haven't yet used the overlays, but plan to get them up and check them out.

David

Re: receipt of my new complete GPO

I've only used the overlays once - for the french horns - in the recording of my Symphony in C (about halfway through the final file, at the climax between 3rd and 4th movements).

I had to add extra staves for the overlay horns. But then, I don't use the same score for printing and playback.

I have no problem making two copies of all of my scores. One copy is for publishing, the other is for demo recordings. It works well for me. In a few cases I don't even need this as the publishing score plays back beautifully.

Generally, my orchestral scores come in two "flavours": printing and playback. This just gives me a tiny bit more freedom to play more with dynamics.

Thumbs up Re: receipt of my new complete GPO

thank you david and micehel

i see the point. overlay stave to duplicate the regular horn stave with identical notes of course.

double scores is no problem either. it's obvious there must be differences between the written stuff and what one needs finale and garritan to do

ding

Go Back to forum