• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Midi Orchestration education

Share/Bookmark

Midi Orchestration education

Anyone know of the Professional Orchestration Volume 1 Ultimate Learning Package by Peter Alexander or Truspec?
    I've heard it's worthwhile, any opinions?

I bought the Guide to Midi Orchestration book, seems well written but want more.

Has anyone got any good websites they know of to assist, thanks.

Re: Midi Orchestration education

I would urge you to look at Sam Adler's "real" orchestration book, because it comes with CDs so you can hear every single example.

http://www.amazon.com/Study-Orchestr...3371169&sr=8-1

I do midi orchestration but it is based on real orchestras and it sounds better that way, plus you then know what you are doing when you get a real orchestra.
    Kind regards,

John
    www.johngrahammusic.com

Am I right in thinking that the CDs are not included... as in you have to buy the book and then also the CDs?

I've been interested in this for a while and never can seem to figure this out.

You got that right. CDs NOT included. An extra chunk of change, although I don't recall how much.

-Alex

I would suggest the Kent Kennan orchestration text instead. While the Adler is more comprehensive in dealing with bizarre articulations used in some 20th century music, I find it as not as good in explaining some of the basic concepts. Plus the Kennan includes the audio CDs while with the Adler book you end up paying $$$ more for them.

You may want to check out the Interactive Principles of Orchestration course, based on the classic Rimsky-Korsakov orchestration text, offered on this forum free of charge - http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...splay.php?f=77

Also, soon we will be announcing a new expanded Orchestration course on this forum.

Best,

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    You may want to check out the Interactive Principles of Orchestration course, based on the classic Rimsky-Korsakov orchestration text, offered on this forum free of charge - http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...splay.php?f=77

Also, soon we will be announcing a new expanded Orchestration course on this forum.

Best,

Gary Garritan
    I could put my GPO to good use that way

As for the other suggestions, thanks. I'll check em out....

The Truespec course doesn't come with CDs, but *does* come with a free 1-year Naxos membership, which has all the CDs plus thousands more for streaming (or grabbing with TotalRecorder or the like).

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan

Best,

Gary Garritan
    While that is a good text, Ravel basically re-invented modern orchestration and all that John Williams and others have used to such great effect rests on his shoulders to a large degree IMHO.

If you want to learn orchestration you could do a lot worse than spending a lot of time listening and reading the score to "Daphnis and Chloe."
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Peter Alexander's books are great. There are some rough spots with things like finding the spot in the MP3 where the pieces of the score you have are but I think he is working on that. All in all his Professional Orchestration series is worth the money and because of the online/digital nature of some of the materials and his ability to to update and stay involved with his readers/users, I expect his tools and teaching to be useful to many years to come. I have sent many emails to with inquiries to the Alexander's and always get a prompt reply. Very helpful and friendly. His book on Ravel's Mother Goose orchestrations is top-notch as well.

I also refer to Alfred Blatter's Orchestration book and tend to take it with me. The only downside to the Professional Orchestration (if this could be considered a downside) is that it is huge! Not something to take the cafe and study, that's for sure.

The Adler book and CDs are on order and were a gift. I think finding concrete examples of individual instrument sounds wil be better with Adler but you can't beat the sheer amount of musical material that comes with Alexander's series. Together they will be a wonderful pair and keep me occupied, quite likely, for the rest of my orchestrating days. :-)

Go Back to forum